Gill Net at Van Hook??

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would make that picture and post go away real quick if it were mine. It's a hefty fine for tampering with the Native American's nets in Minnesota where I am from. Any law enforcement person that saw that would be obliged to investigate.
that's only if the natives are allowed to net on the lake. which I don't believe they are able.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could be a G&F net. They use gill nets to assess fish populations.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a few different ways to fish "commercially" with nets and set lines but I'm pretty sure the walleye crop is off limits. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the 80s, the outfit I worked for pretty much went exclusively over to seines instead of gill nets because of the high rate of incidental catch of gamefish. Commercial fishermen in ND are generally targeting goldeye with gill nets. Seriously. :;:huh

Not only does NDGF use gillnets for their surveys, but so do some researchers. I helped a putz of a guy from Idaho back in the 90s with his gillnets up around Lewis and Clark State Park. They were targeting walleyes and pike to get an estimate of their predation on paddlefish young. I'm guessing that guy is still an idiot that can't catch a fish with a gillnet.

Anyway, I too would contact NDGF. Obviously, they would know if anyone has a permit to use it in that area.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
j8y8sj1m_1l752lf_1cilp01.pngi

Dubbs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like a G & F net, they aren't marked except for two bright colored buoys on each end. When I worked as a seasonal there we had someone snag one and it was a mess. Theres no way they snagged it and pulled it in, they had to have found the buoy and pulled it in that way. G & F will be pleased with that...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh oh,could it be? Natives testing they're rights off reservation?

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone called the G&F yet because if it is not a G&F net it definitely is illegal. No one has the right to fish with gill nets in ND including Indians.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen the gf use black hoop nets on dl. Last time I seen one like dis is when I was little in the mo.

I got a feeling the story went the way of old ribberfisher.

Winging It

Just to clarify situation. The net was indeed snagged off Lonetree island in 12-14 feet of water evening of 10/13. No buoys to mark, the setup was of rough construction (several different kinds of rope tied together with an anchor attached). G&F was immediately called and net with fish was turned over to the officer that evening along with GPS coordinates where snagged. Was a disgusting situation and the only positive is the fish would be taken to a shelter/pantry to be used. Mostly all walleye and about 5 catfish and goldeneye.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a pretty high traffic area to be trying to pull off that shit. I guess crime normally isn't for the intelligent but jeez.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
very little activity on the hook this time of year so they are probably feeling pretty brazen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34