Good ol' fishing stories (Please share your)

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well we were down at Beaver bay a while back and I had taken my wife, daughter and Mother all fishing that Saturday. We headed out some what early because the wind was suppose to pick up. Went to the walleye spot and caught 5 walleyes only one was a keeper and headed back into the bay due to the wind getting rough and I didn't want to make a long haul through rough stuff with the ladies. Got back in the bay and headed over to a spot where we caught descent crappies earlier that week. It was pretty windy and the Anchor lock wasn't holding the best on the trolling motor but it would pull me up close where I could cast a slip bobber and small jig tipped with a minnow and we would drift back out a bit and repeat. Anyways I had the kid just fish with one rod while Mom and Grandma made up some sandwiches(their experts at this now). The first cast was made and I am not even sure if the slip hit the bobber before the first crappie had took. My daughter got him to the boat and he flipped off. So I threw it back out here and boom another one. In the mean time another boat was watching what we were doing so they pulled up to the tree line and decided to do the same thing. Plenty of room between us of course so no worries. Well we got the fish in the boat re-baited and threw it back out and boom another one instantly and my kid is laughing having a great old time. Threw that one in the live well and repeated it another 4 times. All the while this other boat was watching in disbelief. My wife had brought it to my attention that the elder man was scowling at us and looked very unhappy about my 5 year olds success that day. My daughter asked if she could go eat a sandwich and I said go ahead. So I fished for one cast and caught one before my Mother wanted in on the action. Then she caught one and handed it off to my wife and she did the same. During this catching extravaganza the elder gentleman had grown so frustrated not catching anything he had set his rod down, crossed his arms in the pissed off manner and was trying to burn a hole though us with his icy stare and it was cold. His partner kept fishing with no luck but didn't seem upset like his older counter part. Anyways as I sat there and fished a while longer I really wanted to say something to them but the wife said not too, which I am glad I didn't. But if I did it would have went a little something like this.
"Hey sir would you like my 5 year old to come over and show you all how to catch them crappie"
Hope you enjoyed my little story cause I sure do love telling it.
20160605_143720.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoulda taken a pic of the guy and given him his moment of fame.

So last week I decided to be brave and take my 8 yr old daughter, 10 yr old son, and my GF's 8 and 11 yr old boys out fishing by myself. Figured we'd hit the Kidder County area on a nice Friday morning. Had to take a lot of gravel to where we were going and everything was fine until about a quarter of a mile from the boat ramp, the washboard road had slowed me down to about 30 mph. Grrr, gravel and boats are just no fun in the first place. Anyway, at about 30-35 mph it felt like someone had all of a sudden thrown out about a 1,000 lb anchor, as my head snapped back up I watched my boat leap about 3 ft into the air. Holy Hannah, WTF is going on here? As the boat came back to Earth I saw in my rearview mirror a tire rolling off into the adjacent hay field. Oh dear Lord, a quick check of my driver's side mirror and I could see that tire was still attached to the trailer, so I did a fast look at the passenger side mirror expecting to see my boat trailer skidding down the road on the axle. Nope, that's not it. Immediately I started wondering how in the heck I had just run over what must have been a tire in the road, was I sleeping or what?

Turns out the washboard road had caused the spare tire bracket to break off and it dropped my spare tire down onto the road for it to be used as a wheel chock. The spare tire with part of the bracket still attached is what I had run over.

Ended up shattering one wheel fender and knocking a chunk out of the other, bent the rim on the spare tire and popped the spare itself. Not sure yet what structural damage may have been done to the trailer, it's in getting a physical as I type this.

After the initial challenge of getting to the lake, the kids ended up doing pretty well as we kept 12 eyes (no size though), put back about another 12 eyes and caught a few decent sized pike. The daughter put on quite the clinic that day as she caught 10 walleyes and two northerns herself in about 3.5 hours.

Between the day off of work, time off of work to get the repairs completed, and parts/labor, this turned out to be about an $800 day.

And I'd do it all over again!

The failed spare tire carrier.

Pic-1.jpg

Nice job on the fender!

Pic-3.jpg

Happy kids with $800 in fish.

Pic-4.jpg

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn that's a helluva a day right there, at least you were able to make it to the fishing destination!

I wish I would have taken the picture that would have been great too

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
O M G - washboard is the devil - the harmonic motion generates incredible force

I lost the bow eye to my boat on gravel washboard on the way east devils campground - snapped it like a pretzel - now I carry a spare

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah, you should have seen the electrical tape job to hold the fender together long enough to get home that evening. Thankfully, after years of rough sports, I know how to handle a roll of tape.

I've since had to replace the electrical tape with sturdier duct tape. For some reason, Karavan Trailers felt the need to ship my new fenders on the scenic route through Wisconsin and on over into Illinois before they made a U-turn and started heading west. Actually, I guess that would be UPS. So I'm hoping the duct tape holds through the weekend.

Just got the trailer back from Mid Dakota Wheel and Alignment. Don't like having to use their services, but they do great work in a timely and friendly manner.

Put all the stuff back in the boat tonight and test my luck tomorrow!

BTW, I personally think the boat was spared major damage because I use a good transom saver and tie down straps. The whole boat/trailer combo leaped as one joined unit and came back to Earth as the same. I could only imagine what might have happened to the transom/motor/hull if the boat wouldn't have been very securely tied down.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
After that last little adventure in boating, you'd think I'd be safe for a spell. You'd be wrong.

The repairs are nearly done, trailer axle is all fixed and I just have fenders and lights to finish it up. Nonetheless, I promised to take a few people fishing on Sunday and I overslept. So when I got up, I rushed to get the pickup hooked up to the boat and started pulling it out of the shop when I felt a little resistance. Shiite! The now repaired spare tire holder was sitting on the shop floor after I primed it. Knowing that it has sharp angles on it, I jumped out of the pickup only to hear the unmistakable sound of compressed air being released. I dropped several titty sprinkles as I started back to watch the tire deflate. As I rounded the trailer, I could see the holder laying about a foot away from the trailer tire and the tire was not on it's rim. Huh? What is making that noise then. It was the spray can of primer I had just run over, it's seam had split and it was now spraying paint.

SOB! I reached down and grabbed the damn can and flung it out of the shop and into the grass. In my haste, the can passed over my feet and gave them a good coat of Rustoleum black primer. To top it off, I was wearing sandals so only my toes really got a good one coat cover. Now I have a bit of paint on the underside of the boat, trailer, and my toes. Good grief, it took me almost thirty minutes to scrub the damn paint off my feet.

There are times...

Oh yeah, and we went to Wolf Creek. The fishing sucked!

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Grandpa was an old Norwegian that lived to fish. He and his two cousins would take off any time they could and go.

When I was 6 I was fishing with my Grandpa at Strawberry Lake up in the hills. He had me hold his rod while he worked on the old wood boat he had. As I was holding it a fish bit and pul;led it out of my hand and down into the lake. I thought he was going to be torqued but he smiled and rubbed my head and baited another rod and told me he would give me another chance to hold on to this one.

I held on for dear life and when a fish bit ( I think he was only pretending to work on the boat) I reeled in my first ever rainbow trout.

He passed away the following winter ice fishing down on Grano. The back tire of the pickup fell thru the ice and when his cousins went to get help[, he poked a hole and started fishing and they found him tipped over by his 5 gallon bucket with a northern on his line.

Anyways that Christmas before he died he gave me an ice fishing rod. I have had that every since and one of my most cherished possesions.

Two winters ago I was ice fishing with my kids down at Grano. It was kinda slow and had set that rod down to check another rod.

Heard something and looked back in time to see it go down the hole. ;:;banghead

I was just bummed. 47 years I had fished with that rod and now it was gone.

About an hour later saw a bobber go down on another line and set the hook.

eeled up a BIG perch and on the hook was a line.

Pulled it up and my rod was at one end.

Pulled up the line and another big perch was on the hook.

I just knew that old Norwegian was looking over us saying "I'll give you one more chance to hold on to this one."

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would give you a 100 thumbs up for that story if it would let me.:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup X 10.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would give you a 100 thumbs up for that story if it would let me.:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup X 10.

I'm not a god fearing man, but a grandfather-fearing man I am! It's too hard to believe otherwise - grandpa definitely had a Karmic joke when that happened! Awesome story, thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

I fished with my uncle on Lake Lida when I was 10, only saw him once a year and idolized him. This was my stomping ground, as grandpa and grandma always let me take the boat to the bays and fish alone. I showed him my secret fishing spot and we proceeded to fish for sunfish - big ones, but with only 6 lb test and a simple bobber set up. I had something hammer my bobber and break me off, most likely a bass. So I re-rig and cast back out, only to have the same thing happen. I re-rig, cast again and this time it's game on. I land (with my uncle's help) a 5 lb bass and demand to keep it. The fish had both our jigs in it's mouth plus the hook it most recently inhaled. He relents, allows the thing to be put into a panfish wire basket, and I toss it over the side in 10 ft of water only to discover that in my haste I hadn't tied it to the boat. He spent the next hour dragging bottom with a big spoon until he hooked it and SLOWLY reeled it to the boat. We ended up getting that bass for the 4th time and eventually photographing (35mm) and eating the 5 lb monster. I was very proud that day, though I'd never keep it these days. #$%^&>

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do i start.. Obvious one that comes to mind goes as short as i can make this story. Uncle's boat, brother's spot, my rod, and my buddy from MN (whom is a good fisherman) was having a "murphy's law" kind of day on devil's.. After feeling bad for him all day, i decide to let him set the hook on my second rod while i was the only one with 2 lines in the water while tying my other one up after getting getting stuck in the stumps..he sees it go down and actually asks me, "do you want it?" Me feeling sorry for him throughout his "bad luck" during the day i reply, "no you go ahead" as I'm finishing my double palomar knot in my mouth..
watch him set the hook and hear a "ohhhh boy are you surrre!?!" At this point i reply, "welllll you set the hook!" Brother nets 10 lb DL walleye and we commence to havve ONNE good night at the cove, never to be forgottn with a helluva story-piece on his wall done by the one and only Mr Zespy!

Last edited:

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
so a few years back I went to Canada with mort bank and a crew of guys on a fly in fishing trip to lower foster. we get to the plane which is a double engine otter as we load up we put 8 guys all the equipment and a freezer in the plane I'm thinking that we are never going to leave this lake with that much weigh but I hear the pilot saying that its close for lbs. but we will be ok. at the time I'm excited to get to the lake but nervous about getting there. so that plane starts to take off and as it starts to gain speed I'm thinking I should get out and push because this thing is moving about the speed of walking as I watch the lake come to the end and we are still only going walking speed I'm thinking great I will be crashing in Canada and nobody will know who we are with all the bodys in a charred mess anyway we get to the end of the lake and the pilot pulls back on this airplane and she comes out of the water as we clear the trees I notice that a few of the pine tree tops get hit by the floats. we made it to lower foster and had a great week.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was about 12 yrs old, fishing with my dad on Sak. Fishing the shallow end of a creek by Douglas Bay, and I had been begging to use a Rapala. My dad owned two of them, and only let me use them when we were in about 100 ft of water. (this probably explains my crankbait compulsion).

Anyhow, throwing this #13 battle-scarred black and silver floater, and I see a swirl behind it. Big pike. Swing and a miss, as I jerk the lure away from the fish. Lure comes flying right at my face. I whip my head to the side as the lure passes close enough to pull my dad's brand new aviator sunglasses off my face. The ones I just put on, when he wasn't looking. The ones he bought at the PX the day before.

I about jumped in the lake after them, but he just smiled and messed up my hair. I may not have ever loved him as much as that day.

deleted account

Established Member
Fishing with my dad before he passed on a little pike lake we were messin round pulled spoons behind the boat and he dropped his rod in the water it was understandable cause he was old so I jumped in felt around with my feet and got it, this happened four more times the last time it happened I couldn't find it, and it was his favorite rod a four foot long metal rod with a bait caster on it his dad gave it to him when he was 10 so I felt terrible but we had to leave as it was pitch dark, so I went out to the lake and found the rod!! The most exited I'd ever been I showed it to him and he said thank you about 200 times said I made him proud, he died the next day and left in his will that very rod to me and a note with it it read Luke, this is your rod now it was grampas mine now yours dont ever let anything happen to it, it still hangs in my living room and will be my sons when I'm gone.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Waaaaay to many good ones to even begin typing. Best way to hear any is to be where I am with crown, coke, & ice. I can say that most of the good ones usually dont involve catching much. Ran into 701fishslayer last week, but it was after all the booze was consumed, so it was more like 2 toddlers that hadnt quite learned to talk yet recognizing eachother at daycare. "meja juju blah blah fitchin" "ahh! Bleba blah fitchin! ... Blebba blah nutha round!"

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years back a buddy and I were ice fishing and doing real well with some walleyed in the 17 to 19 inch range. We were putting them on one of those old chain type stringers and clipped to a bucket in an ice hole. Well it was dark and a few beers into it we needed 2 more walleyes for a limit. I caught another walleye and was going to put it on the stringer. I lift the stringer and there was only 2 walleyes on it and the other end of the stringer was not there anymore. Only 2 clips. So I thought my buddy was playing a joke like he usually does. I was asking him to tell me where the rest were and he was like, I don't know what you are talking about. I showed him the stringer and he just was in awe. So now I'm in panic mode. I went and grabbed my jigging pole with a buckshot spoon on it, dropped it down the hole and started jigging just in case I could snag it. About 30 seconds go by and I had a thump on the jig, set the hook and yelled at my buddy to help cause it felt big. A shake here and a pull here I finally got it coming up and in my head lamp I saw in the hole a walleye. I reached in and grabbed it and low and behold, they were all hooked to him. The damn walleye in the stringer actually hit the jig and we got the rest of them all back. Sometimes weird things happen but that was just freaky. Thanks for reading.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah hah, as proof of JohnR's estimate on what it costs to own a boat, I had totally purged this one from the memory banks.

$2k a year would now appear to be cheap for owning a boat!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Waaaaay to many good ones to even begin typing. Best way to hear any is to be where I am with crown, coke, & ice. I can say that most of the good ones usually dont involve catching much. Ran into 701fishslayer last week, but it was after all the booze was consumed, so it was more like 2 toddlers that hadnt quite learned to talk yet recognizing eachother at daycare. "meja juju blah blah fitchin" "ahh! Bleba blah fitchin! ... Blebba blah nutha round!"

I resemble this remark.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
After that last little adventure in boating, you'd think I'd be safe for a spell. You'd be wrong.

The repairs are nearly done, trailer axle is all fixed and I just have fenders and lights to finish it up. Nonetheless, I promised to take a few people fishing on Sunday and I overslept. So when I got up, I rushed to get the pickup hooked up to the boat and started pulling it out of the shop when I felt a little resistance. Shiite! The now repaired spare tire holder was sitting on the shop floor after I primed it. Knowing that it has sharp angles on it, I jumped out of the pickup only to hear the unmistakable sound of compressed air being released. I dropped several titty sprinkles as I started back to watch the tire deflate. As I rounded the trailer, I could see the holder laying about a foot away from the trailer tire and the tire was not on it's rim. Huh? What is making that noise then. It was the spray can of primer I had just run over, it's seam had split and it was now spraying paint.

SOB! I reached down and grabbed the damn can and flung it out of the shop and into the grass. In my haste, the can passed over my feet and gave them a good coat of Rustoleum black primer. To top it off, I was wearing sandals so only my toes really got a good one coat cover. Now I have a bit of paint on the underside of the boat, trailer, and my toes. Good grief, it took me almost thirty minutes to scrub the damn paint off my feet.

There are times...

Oh yeah, and we went to Wolf Creek. The fishing sucked!

The part about spray painted toes makes me chuckle. Not sure why, but just tickles me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88