Ground up restoration

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys think there would be a demand for pre def ground up restoration on diesel pickups, I know there is a few companies especially in Canada that do full ground up restoration on heavy haulers. What do you guys think with the price of these new trucks that are in the top 5 or 6 figure price tags with the def system would you buy a full restored pre def vehicles?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys think there would be a demand for pre def ground up restoration on diesel pickups, I know there is a few companies especially in Canada that do full ground up restoration on heavy haulers. What do you guys think with the price of these new trucks that are in the top 5 or 6 figure price tags with the def system would you buy a full restored pre def vehicles?
I worked with a guy who did exactly that with a ford and by the time he was done he had just about $ 40,000.00 into the truck

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.dieselarmy.com/features/first-generation-ram-epitome-cool/
A pickup like this one, that way real working Americans can give the epa the middle fingerđź–•
lead-image-1295925-1707229506.jpeg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
To do an older one about 10k if do it up really good. Have many friends that have sure run nice.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Newest Ford a person would be able to do that with would be the 2010 with the 6.4L Powerstroke. I had a 2009 and it was nothing short of stupidly dependable. One exhaust gas sensor and a RH side exhaust manifold were the only repairs I had to make in around 170k miles over 14 years. Ford put a couple of radiator hoses on it under warranty early on, but other than that it was just tires and brakes.

I kept mine stock and didn't use it to pull a 30 ft trackhoe, just boats, pontoons, campers, and cattle. Absolutely no complaints other than the DPF really killed fuel economy. Last time I looked it averaged a regen cycle every ~400 miles, and would take about 25 minutes to regen at highway speeds. So, for 370 miles it was getting about 18 mpg empty, and then it would get 6.7 mpg during the roughly 20-30 miles of regen. Altogether it tended to average right in that 14.5-15 mpg range.

Biggest complaints I heard about the 6.4 was its tendency to burn a hole in the #8 piston. Ostensibly due to the regen cycle. I'm not a big enough motorhead anymore to really know much about their weaknesses, just turn the key and go for me.

I can't see how a person would really come out ahead on this if they really wanted to do a complete rebuild. You know, starting with a new engine and drivetrain. Isn't the price of a new 6.4 right around $18-30k (??). Remember, if you don't replace EVERYTHING, you are only doing a partial rebuild and will have expensive parts of the vehicle with hundreds of thousands of miles on them (axles, differentials, transfer case, radiator, etc, etc). Seems to me it would be cheaper to buy a low mileage, newer truck. A person can probably get away with a used windshield washer fluid tank, but a rebuild to me guts the whole vehicle.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't a new 3/4 ton diesel pushing hundred grand now and can you guarantee that motor today is going to get 300000 plus like the non def ones will? That's how you would get ahead for those who don't want to trade in their heavy haulers and run them the way those trucks were meant to be.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at a new F250 recently, it was $88k for the XLT package. Instead, I picked up a 2.5 yr old truck with 33k on it for about $35k off the price of a new one.

Can I expect it to go to 300,000 before I have to replace the engine or transmission? I don't know that I would bet on that, but everyone really seems to like the newer 6.7 power stroke. I have a buddy who has a Dodge with over 300k on it, the engine is still running great, but I don't know what he's had to put into the engine to keep it going. But if memory serves, I am pretty sure he's on a second transmission.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at a new F250 recently, it was $88k for the XLT package. Instead, I picked up a 2.5 yr old truck with 33k on it for about $35k off the price of a new one.

Can I expect it to go to 300,000 before I have to replace the engine or transmission? I don't know that I would bet on that, but everyone really seems to like the newer 6.7 power stroke. I have a buddy who has a Dodge with over 300k on it, the engine is still running great, but I don't know what he's had to put into the engine to keep it going. But if memory serves, I am pretty sure he's on a second transmission.
What year dodge does you friend have that he got 300k

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
But yes, if you want a higher comfort package (Lariat, or better), you are probably looking at $100k. I seriously thought about going to AZ to pick up a new truck. The pricing at some of the bigger, mostly commercial fleet dealerships, was notably better than that up here on the plains.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What year dodge does you friend have that he got 300k
Not 100% sure, probably in the 2012-2014 range. Whenever we go fishing, I almost always insist on driving since Dodges have put more miles on my boots than any other vehicle manufacturer even though I've never owned one.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not 100% sure, probably in the 2012-2014 range. Whenever we go fishing, I almost always insist on driving since Dodges have put more miles on my boots than any other vehicle manufacturer even though I've never owned one.
Lmao that Cummins is the best engine ever designed for a 3/4 ton

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lmao that Cummins is the best engine ever designed for a 3/4 ton
Yeah, well...the engine is only capable of moving the vehicle if it can retain all 4 wheels. A buddy had the lugs snap off of his Dodge a couple summers ago coming back from Sturgis. Note, he's a mechanic and is anal about torquing his lug nuts to the proper specs.

There are all kinds of other things that also just seem to happen to a Dodge whenever I get behind the wheel. Lost a water pump pulley a couple of times, gas engines though. One was on a Mitsubishi Eclipse with about 20,000 miles on it. I drove it around Japan (same as the Dodge Colt?) when I was in the Corps, the other was on a Dodge pickup of a former employer. The latter had less than 1,500 miles on it. Both sent parts spraying across the highway. Another had the transmission get in such a bind while parked in the countryside that I couldn't turn the key to get it started, that took me a while to figure out and get unjammed (the wheels sunk 2-3 inches into soft ground while I was doing fieldwork).

Yeah, I know several people who love their Dodges, but I...just...can't.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84