Handguns to hunt pheasants?

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
granted it would be kinda sweet, i dont think this is something that should pass.. A) i dont think it is lethal enough and would end up with a lot of wounded birds B) you are going to have a lot more pheasants being shot out of the pick up window...

thoughts?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/out...-bring-handguns-south-dakota-pheasant-hunting

One South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Department official hopes a bill to allow handguns to hunt game birds is shot down in committee.

Tony Leif, wildlife division director of the South Dakota GF&P, will testify at Thursday's House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee hearing in Pierre in opposition to House Bill 1206, which would legalize the use of handguns with .410 gauge shells to hunt nonmigratory game birds including pheasant, grouse, partridge and quail.
Leif said he was initially concerned about the bill, and those concerns were validated after doing some research on the subject. Leif's concerns focus heavily on the safety and effectiveness of a handgun to hunt game birds.
According to Leif, pistols and rifles, which are currently prohibited for hunting nonmigratory birds, are meant to be shot at stationary targets rather than birds in flight as it's more difficult to control the direction of the muzzle of a handgun.
Leif also argued a .410-gauge handgun shot is only effective within 10 feet. Beyond 10 feet, a handgun is more likely to cripple a bird with a stray pellet than kill the bird.
"I think the best way to describe it is responsible hunters do not ever want to lose a bird, in fact, it's probably the most important factor to most hunters out there," Leif said. "Most hunters that I hunt with would rather miss than lose a bird."
Despite Leif's concerns, the bill reached the committee with the support of 24 state legislators, including prime sponsor Rep. Dick Werner, R-Huron.
Werner contends .410 gauge shots have a similar shot pattern to shotgun shells and could be beneficial to hunters who cannot shoulder a gun due to age or injuries.
In response to any potential safety concerns, Werner said a handgun would need to be treated similarly to other firearms used in hunting.
"As far as safety concerns, anytime an individual's got a gun in their hand there are safety concerns," Werner said. "The holder of that gun needs to treat it with respect, as they would any other gun for safety."
According to Leif, handguns are currently legal to hunt some larger game, but only if a single projectile is used. He said this bill, if approved, would be the first case where birdshot dispersed from a handgun would be legal to hunt birds in flight in South Dakota.
Leif said most hunters would likely oppose HB 1206.
The House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee will also consider three other bills on Thursday, with two focusing on hunting.
House Bill 1199 would revise the minimum age requirement for hunting and fishing licenses. Currently, no person under the age of 12 can acquire a hunting license, but the bill would eliminate that section of law. Anyone under 16 would still be required to follow state laws on firearms safety before receiving a hunting license.
The committee will also hear House Bill 1200, which would provide for an earlier archery hunting season for deer. In 2015, the archery deer season opened on Sept. 26, but passage of the proposed bill would ensure archery deer hunting season begins no later than Sept. 1.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can hunt pheasants in North Dakota right now with a handgun if you wish - well not right now because the season is closed but it's not illegal to use a handgun to hunt pheasants in North Dakota.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enough hunters are hit with pellets while hunting pheasants with shotguns, the thought of these guys quick drawing handguns is frightening regardless of what type of ammo is used. Glad it was dismissed.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh, non issue. Like mentioned above, its legal in ND and i cant say ive seen or even heard of someone actually using a handgun to hunt pheasants.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You would have to set up a ground blind with bait within sneezing distance to kill a pheasant with a .410 shell out of a hand gun like The Judge. I know because I own one.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
can you use a hand gun in ND with any sort of round? because the judge you cant use because you can put too many shells int he cylinder makings it illegal? or am i wrong on that?

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall reading where Game & Fish has said if you only have three cylinders usable, maybe by putting snap caps or something in the others, that it would be OK. I'm not 100% positive on that though and if I was going to try it myself I would check with a warden before doing it. Also, I think that is upland game only in North Dakota. I don't think you can do it for waterfowl. It might be interesting to try once but a person would have to be extremely selective with their shot.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enough hunters are hit with pellets while hunting pheasants with shotguns, the thought of these guys quick drawing handguns is frightening regardless of what type of ammo is used. Glad it was dismissed.
I'd rather get shot with a hand gun with bb's than a shotgun with bb's. The birds would too lol

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
why not .22 with birdshot too? I got a good laugh about this when I saw it in the paper this morning. Looks like Dick Werner has a little too much time on his hands to introduce goofy stuff like this. He must see all the out of state pistol bird hunters SD is losing to ND and wants in on some of that cash.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I could look it up but like talking to you fecestubes: Is legal pheasant weaponry the same as turkey?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id like to see rimfires allowed. Id hunt pheasants all day long with my 17hmr, headshots only at 100 yards... What fun!

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here is a man's pistol and it will take pheasants. They call it a BFR(Big F#$%ing Revolver) with a choke. 410s are moving at the same speed as your 12 gauge just not as many pellets. If you shoot small caliber shotguns you limit your shots. BFR.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
and in the Hills...

- - - Updated - - -

The BFR post is cool but slightly inaccurate according to Federal. A shot charge achieves full velocity at 16in via my correspondence which I wish I had saved for this post. This came from the early days up here and shooting total hellfire for late season pheasant. A box of these shells may/should become a curiosity. 1 3/8 oz at 1500fps (2 3/4): Unnecessary and holy shi'ite.

th

- - - Updated - - -

A perfect sphere launched at 1200 vs 1500 has no practical difference in energy at 40yds. It took me a while to swallow this.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
so you are saying that spending the extra few on a box of these high velocity is money poorly spent?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a waste of time they need a real bill that would allow the use of nv for hunting coyotes. Had one last year they neutered to pretty use less

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84