Hanging deer - head up or down?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Received a couple pics from friends in MI. Deer are strung up by their heads - like they’ve been hung. Gulp. Always strikes me as strange.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
We always hang any of our animals head down, whether deer, elk, or pigs. I don’t have a way to hang them in my house so everything is quartered into a cooler with ice now.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Head DOWN!! Keep in mind that all meat processing of beef, pork, chickens, and everything else are all processed head down. There are lots of reasons for this.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heads down. Never saw blood dripping out of a deer's ass.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Down:

Back in the day back in the Hills it was head up. We had a big red oak behind Grandma's which served as a meat pole and was visible from the highway. One year a butcher Grandma knew told her we were retards. We did not relish being considered retarded and swapped ends after this mean critique. We were intelligent, proud peoples as identified by the PBS. The fatty blood should not "pool" in the hams.

Watch NOVA. That is all.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Head DOWN!! Keep in mind that all meat processing of beef, pork, chickens, and everything else are all processed head down. There are lots of reasons for this.
This...head off and head down for us. Better drainage of blood from tissues and large vessels.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74