Hanging deer - head up or down?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL I was gonna say that as well. Can't be a grove, has to be a single tree. ;)

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went and look at some old pictures (1950-60s). Imagine due to no hanger so by horns. Remember holding back legs apart for the old man.

Today, as i said earlier, no gutting so on their side (and in old days also gutted on side as they were on ground). If reason to hang by back feet but for no real reason other than that's the way it is done. Seems like most of the work is done at ass level versus head level. db

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How does one account for the blood still in the cavity if it is hung head down. How does one get it out of there? Or doesn't one care? We like how with head down it cools a lot better/quicker.

We used to skin head down but know skin head up as "we" get less hair on the meat. (cutting hide with the sharpened blade held away from the meat)

Thanks for your help.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I skin head down and turn head up when going to process. I drop the two front shoulders off for wife to start on then remove back straps followed by hind quarters when those are done we trim whats left on rib cage and neck. LB

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to do head up. My dad did it that way and that's how I learned. My brother still does it heas up, and i can do it either way now. We've processed a few hundred deer over the last 40 years, and I've only processed the last 10 or so head down. Maybe a little less blood in the meat while cutting it up, but once it's quartered I can't see the difference.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I skin head down and turn head up when going to process. I drop the two front shoulders off for wife to start on then remove back straps followed by hind quarters when those are done we trim whats left on rib cage and neck. LB
@LB Try skinning head up and then you don't have to flip. That is why we also hang head up. Once we tried skinning head up we found we got a lot less hair on the meat and if one is judicious at the cut around the neck, you won't get any.

Also LB, try to removing the sections to wrap in piece meal on the hang. Meaning don't remove the entire quarter. It take a leap of faith (mental) to do it this way. In essence debone it while it is hanging - deboning in pieces as to be wrapped. Then one doesn't have to manhandle "quarters" on your wrapping stations. It is so much cleaner as you aren't getting blood/tissue/etc onto the area where you process the deer meat. Plus it actually goes much more quickly. Especially if you have two people deboning into wrappable pieces on the hang. It also so much easier to remove that tougher outer cartilage layer along the backstraps when it is hanging. Take it off in one piece starting at the top and work your way down. By doing it this way I bet we cut our process time to easily less than half of what we used to spend the other way. Good luck.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I always have so much trouble with hair around the neck getting every where. I do take a propane torch to the body when done skinning and try to keep it med rare. LB

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
@LB I have had good luck with keeping the tip below the skin and not letting it come up thru the skin. Using the upper portion of the blade to cut the skin.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
These old timers must of been stupid according to many on here. I always remember our family deer hanging head up just for the simplicity of a rope around the antlers and pulled up. Didn’t know there was a ”wrong” way to hang a deer.
53451452-8747-4416-8CA8-E7A0515372A5.jpeg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it’s the does strung up by the neck lynching style that makes me look twice every time

there’s no right/wrong BTW

seems to be a western/eastern thing

like a 9 point deer vs 4x5

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
after 20 years in the meat packing industry hanging by the back legs is all I do. I do skin when possible before gutting and gutting is much easier when hung by the back legs. as far as blood in the cavity I do remove the trachea from the neck in case there is any upchuck in it so the chest cavity naturally drains. I remove sections at a time to bone out on the countertop in the kitchen so I have easy access to hot water and anything that is bloody or has broken bones can to into the sink to soak and clean up later.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
skeeter

Appears a few Winchesters and it also appears pole is held up by vehicle. db

Guy:
In middle of state for me, which is which, 4x5 or 9 points. For me it is a 4- or 5-point buck meaning 4x4 or 5x5 unless uneven then whatever by whatever.

And sometimes 5 or 4 point with accessories. db

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey DB, you ever get that old Weaver scope fixed?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
svnmag:

That was some time ago but yes i did. Original scope had two dots in it however came back with only one dot.

But still the original scope on my dad's prewar model 70 in 22k hornet. Alot of memories in that gun, jackrabbits, spotlight with my dad and a 49 Olds convertible.
Thanks, for the memory. dB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88