Hanging deer - head up or down?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting.

What’s the second person’s role? Moral support? Beer refills? Mopping your brow?
2 knives seems to go faster, one works one leg, the other works the other, just need to be aware of where others hands are... Also its nice to have someone to talk to while working I guess, moral support. ...duel...

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad will come up and help if he's free. I enjoy it a lot. Butchering a deer is a lonely endeavor. It's nice to have him there to package and label, plus help clean up. He's a good beer-fetcher, too!
But when you're single...like me......takes time to do everything...all I have left is my rear quarters have most cut it up ready for grinder now....rear quarters are frozen in the garage right now, so need to bring them up to temp before deboning later this week.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the past it was head down. Now I carry bags and bone them where they fall. The last cut is behind the ribs to the hip to retrieve the tenderloins. Sometimes I bring them back to camp to bone and leave the carcass about 600 yards out in the hopes of a coyote on it in the morning. I woukd leave it closer, but a little further out and they are less likely to leave before shooting light.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boy has now stepped up and helps out, but for 20 years it was me, the radio, and a 12 pack of Ice Cold Busch Lights.
How long does it take you if need 12 pk ? :LOL: just kidding. . .
I forgot the air compressor trick this yr. It sure does help though.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
svnmag:

DSC00255.JPG

Not sure if you can see this on my 440 weaver but there is a tag that rides on the wheel, so some kind of clip.
Was not sure what you meant by get off my back but will assume it was not directed to me.
Gun is not only pre-64 but prewar (1938).
No idea what a diatribe is. db
Got rifle off rack and an old beer can (Schlitz) from my youth got a hole in it and leak unto the scope and did fill in the end of the scope. Glass is about 3 inches into scope. Beer on outside was hard and came off easy but not sure how to get out of scope end. Any ideas? db

Also grew up on the prairie and not the bush so no idea what a single tree is.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB, no not directed at you at all. My only suggestion for the scope is send it back to the folks who fixed it and tell them you want the second dot.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i have a couple of them and as a kid i use this wooden round stick with hooks at the end to hook the horse harness to the stone boat hitch. That was call a tree also or evener.

My o my, these new trees must have come from those there old time hitch trees. db

and maybe get the dry up beer out of the scope.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
"stone boat"

Now there's something most under 60 won't know.
I'm under 60 and I know what a stone boat is. My old neighbor had one leaning against his barn that hadn't been used in lord knows how long. I always joked I wanted to buy it just for a conversation piece.
Now I never had to use one but I heard plenty of stories from my parents about cleaning barns with them. I couldn't believe once you pitched all that manure on one then you had to pitch it off again. Dad even told me my grandpa got mad at one of my dads brothers for using the old farmhand to pitch the manure on the bucket rather than use the stone boat.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember pitching hay from the stack and or throwing square bales onto the boat. Then pitching if off while the horses just knew where to walk. You had to have a wide stance while riding because the frozen cow turds didn't give in mid winter. I do know someone who still feeds this way.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and I work as a team. I will skin while she gets the cutting boards ready and kitchen table covered with a vinal cover. I bring in both front shoulders for her to start cutting on. I then go back in garage with a cake pan and drop off the back straps. Put clean cardboard under deer and cut off hind quarters with Sawall. Help wife with last of front shoulders and then bring in hind quarters one for each. Finish those off and go back for ribcage and neck for what little trim I can find. Cut backstraps into one lb chunks and vacuum pack. Fire up grinder and course grind and vacuum pack into 3 # packs for where we take our deer to be made into sausage. Wife cleans up cutting boards and knifes and I clean up grinder and put meat in freezer. Easy short afternoon with no hurry and some fried scribblins for our trouble. LB
Front shoulders............haha

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
team of black horses were sold in the 50's and a Case S was bought.
Never pitch it off but either jerk it off or found a way to put the boat on its side to tip the crab off. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11