House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is incumbent upon a claimant to substantiate a claim, i.e. innocent until proven guilty. NDGF asserts that CWD necessitates banning of baiting; therefore they must defend that assertion. Not the other way around.

Also no dog in this fight other than having no tolerance for incompetent "experts" and bureaucrats.
Well said.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are the Chairmen of the House and Senate Natural Resources committees sponsors of 1151? If not it is probably going to struggle for passage.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m 100% for baiting.

Anyone with a shred of common sense should know baiting isn’t the culprit. Good grief people, when did you decide you wanted Uncle Sam to tell you what you can and can’t do. It’s complete BS how the game and fish is trying to pull this off.

NDGF.........AKA the future MN DNR. Be careful how long you set their leash. These clowns need to be reeled in a bit.

Always make sure there is a crisis folks, that’s what makes people necessary.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well there are states where baiting isn’t allowed isn’t there? In those states what’s the cwd levels

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You see the way it works is people contact their reps, and then the reps do their bidding..... at least thats how it worked for me when I asked my rep to join on with the legalizing of night hunting with lights and such...
That really wasn’t my concern. I was simply questioning why legislators feel compelled to involve themselves in shah is obviously a biological issue. Any biologists in the legislature?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
That really wasn’t my concern. I was simply questioning why legislators feel compelled to involve themselves in shah is obviously a biological issue. Any biologists in the legislature?
There doesn’t seem to be any in the game and fish. What’s the difference?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well there are states where baiting isn’t allowed isn’t there? In those states what’s the cwd levels
In Wyoming where they have had CWD for over 20 years and had a bait ban for the almost the same number of years, and yet CWD is expanding by 1.1 MILLION acres per year. Not my info. This comes from the Wyoming website. I've documented this and posted on this same info NUMEROUS times and yet folks can't seem to remember. WTF!!!! Wisconsin is similar, as is Minnesota. CWD is NOT A PROBLEM!!! I seriously doubt any NDGnF rep can prove otherwise. Which is why all the CWD money from the feds is going towards changing the behavior of hunters instead of going towards trying to protect and preserve the white tail populations in ND. Think about it folks. It's a power play based on trumping up fear without ANY data to back it up.

wct12

This Bill is introduced into the legislature because of overreach by the ND G&F and a lack of data backing the topic. They have tried to implement a state wide baiting ban through the legislature in the past and it was voted down both times. Since they were unable to ban baiting through the legislature, they implemented a ban on HUNTING OVER BAIT on their own through the proclamation even though the people of ND spoke out through the legislative process against a statewide ban.

3F2 in North Dakota has had the longest baiting ban in place, yet they have the highest occurrence rate and the positivity percentage rate among tested deer every year although there has been a baiting ban in place for 10+ years. The Game and Fish is now going away from testing in 3F2 because the "SCIENCE THROUGH NUMBERS" which you can find on their website is contradicted by the data provided by this unit.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting info wct12. I spent a couple minutes looking up deer tag numbers for 3F2 over the years and what I found was very interesting. In 2010 the deer tags were 400 wt buck, 1200 wt doe, 800 any buck, and 1200 any doe. In 2019 there were 1000 wt buck, 1300 wt doe, 850 any buck, and 850 any doe tags. In 2022, AFTER THE EHD outbreak of 2020, deer tags were wt buck 850, wt doe 850, any buck 1300, and any doe 1450. Which means that in the unit most paralyzed by bait bans, they had an INCREASE of 850 deer tags between 2010 and 2022 in spite of having the highest incidence of CWD. Why don't you ask the GnF if CWD is such a dangerous and lethal deer disease, why did the deer population increase to a point where the number of deer tags had to INCREASE over the past 12 years?? Why didn't the deer populations crash due to CWD??

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM,

Deer tag numbers issued are not proportional to the deer numbers. NDGF issues ridiculous numbers of tags in 3F2 because they want to reduce deer numbers in that unit.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hot off the press....

1672957711183.png

The last sentence is going to be amended adding three words at the end. "on private property."

In the Century Code Game and Fish Section 20, there is law stating someone baiting must have permission to do so if they do not own it. On public lands under control of the Game and Fish they can and will deny permission.

wct12

The last sentence is going to be amended adding three words at the end. "on private property."

In the Century Code Game and Fish Section 20, there is law stating someone baiting must have permission to do so if they do not own it. On public lands under control of the Game and Fish they can and will deny permission.
This is not a private property rights issue. This is an issue about overreach by a government agency that is supposed to look out for we the people of the state of ND, but instead ignored what the people wanted and got denied through the legislative process.

wct12

Interesting info wct12. I spent a couple minutes looking up deer tag numbers for 3F2 over the years and what I found was very interesting. In 2010 the deer tags were 400 wt buck, 1200 wt doe, 800 any buck, and 1200 any doe. In 2019 there were 1000 wt buck, 1300 wt doe, 850 any buck, and 850 any doe tags. In 2022, AFTER THE EHD outbreak of 2020, deer tags were wt buck 850, wt doe 850, any buck 1300, and any doe 1450. Which means that in the unit most paralyzed by bait bans, they had an INCREASE of 850 deer tags between 2010 and 2022 in spite of having the highest incidence of CWD. Why don't you ask the GnF if CWD is such a dangerous and lethal deer disease, why did the deer population increase to a point where the number of deer tags had to INCREASE over the past 12 years?? Why didn't the deer populations crash due to CWD??
Game and Fish tag numbers aren't always dependent on deer populations I don't believe, it has something to do with the management of a deer herd, right or wrong.

wct12

Look in state at 3F2... the unit with the longest bait ban, but highest prevalence percentage... The Game and Fish is choosing to ignore these levels now but moving away from testing in this unit because the data collected doesn't back the "science" they are currently trying to use

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the increased tags must be failing to do anything just like increasing tags failed to do anything in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and everywhere else they've been tried. I suspect there are just about as many deer to hunt now in 3F2 as there were in 2010. Any truth to that wct12?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is not a private property rights issue. This is an issue about overreach by a government agency that is supposed to look out for we the people of the state of ND, but instead ignored what the people wanted and got denied through the legislative process.
You are correct. However, it is a clarification making the distinction between public land and private. Game and Fish has jurisdiction over public land and has always banned baiting. That will not change.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well the increased tags must be failing to do anything just like increasing tags failed to do anything in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and everywhere else they've been tried. I suspect there are just about as many deer to hunt now in 3F2 as there were in 2010. Any truth to that wct12?
x2

wct12

I'm unsure of deer counts in that unit. If deer counts have decreased due to increased tag numbers, but the positives have increased at the steady rate they have with the baiting ban in place for the amount of time it has been.. Any baiting restriction "science" the game and fish trys to use should have to be tossed out the window.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our elected Representatives are already getting lobbied receiving this. My apologies for the blurriness as I brought it over from my phone. Land Tawney is the CEO of BHA. I have to admit they have some very good writers.

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is a creation of the National Wildlife Federation. Land Tawney used to work for NWF but quit to start an org Montana Sportsmen for Obama. When that stint was over they put him in charge of BHA. If you look at the BHA website they like to say Backcountry Hunters and Anglers was an idea born around a campfire in rural Oregon. That is so much horseshit.
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.JPEG

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19