House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Geeze, people are still arguing the same stuff over and over and over and over about this all. I'm glad I've exited this conversation. (which I think I just reentered accidentally by making a smart ass comment).
I’m kicking myself for still engaging, but I’m just extremely nervous about where things go from here. I believe it’s short sighted to get so caught up in baiting while it opens the door for anti-sportsman agendas to take hold. I honestly believe that if everyone was this passionate about baiting, there were other and better ways to go about it that would satisfy almost everyone. But the nuclear option was #1. Notice that almost every change to current law goes through a “study”? Yet this one it’s never even been brought up.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Facts are something one can observe or measure like the apple falling to the ground.
Science with theory takes a guess as to why the apples fall and only one's best guess or one's explanations as to why it happens, but it cannot be proven, even over time.

I will concede. If the apple has always fallen, then the theory of gravity might be right whatever the theory is as it has become a fact. No longer a theory.

Science cannot prove baiting leads to CWD. It is only an educate guess.

And i will agree it makes sense baiting would add a small portion to the equation. But it is a theory that has not become a fact no matter what those on that side say.

I believe the theory of herd immunity is a stronger theory. The focus needs to be on how to obtain herd immunity. db-2

Last edited:

wct12

We shouldn’t be surprised.
I missed that portion of your reply earlier so sorry about that.

In regards to that I'm not sure. Both are grass roots animal ag/private property rights agencies in North Dakota where members are able to propose something at the county level (farm bureau) or state convention/district meeting (stockmens) which is how these orgs came forth with their stances in these instances. I haven't been to a Stockmen's convention in a few years and still attend our county farm bureau meetings every year. Due paying members have the ability to bring something to their county level meeting on the FB side of things and it's voted on by due paying members there, then goes to the state convention where it's again voted on and then made into policy if I remember the steps correctly.

I have no idea if any member of the FB or stockmens will bring ideas forward or what they will toss support behind or in opposition in the future. They do on lots of different topics through out the year, but at least on the FB side since those are the meetings I've attended more recently, a member brings something forward, it's voted on locally, then voted on the state level and then written into their policy.. at least that is how the process worked for this. No boards making decisions for the members without input of the due paying members.

Depending on how the game and fish goes forward with this bill (there is rumblings they met with some senate members to try and get the bill killed and then "workout a compromise" afterwards) will probably make a difference in the future I would imagine.

Last edited:

wct12

I’m kicking myself for still engaging, but I’m just extremely nervous about where things go from here. I believe it’s short sighted to get so caught up in baiting while it opens the door for anti-sportsman agendas to take hold. I honestly believe that if everyone was this passionate about baiting, there were other and better ways to go about it that would satisfy almost everyone. But the nuclear option was #1. Notice that almost every change to current law goes through a “study”? Yet this one it’s never even been brought up.
The other way that we have tried to work through this in the past is through meetings with the Game and Fish department and at advisory board meetings where this was discussed on basically deaf ears.. There was other ways and compromise attempts were made on the sportsmen's side of this, but nothing ever came out of it on one side so sportsmen's used the avenue they have left that the state constitution allowed which was going through the legislature.

Its touched on quite a few times in testimony that there has been attempts to come to some form of compromise the last few years, and that hadn't happened so this was the avenue taken.

wct12

Ive been thinking about this for a day now. I wish WCT12 and fritz the ditch cougar would reply.

What I can come up with is this from a rancher perspective: Ranchers have hay yards. The location really doesn’t change much, no different from where a farmer stores grain. Intentional or not, can’t those hay yards and grain bin sites be considered “bait piles” in the game and fish’s eyes? Is an apple tree a bait station? Pretty much any location that has year in and year out food for deer can be looked at as baiting.
I reply farther down the thread today, missed it originally so sorry about that..

As far as the rancher perspective there are currently ag exemptions in the proclamation. I believe the actual wording is "or common ag practices" which grain yards, hay stacks and silage piles fall under.. Technically the way it reads I believe that a farmer/rancher could set up a stand at a a hay stack, silage pile or grain bin right now. "As used herein, baiting does not include agricultural practices; gardens; wildlife food plots; agricultural crops; livestock feeds; fruit or vegetables in their natural location, such as apples on or under an apple tree; or unharvested food or vegetables in a garden. This ban does not apply to wildlife management activities conducted by or under the direction of the North Dakota Game and Fish Department."

The fact that lots of Farmers/Ranchers are stepping up in support of this might have more to do with Game and Fish and their overreach by backdooring it through the proclamation after their attempt through the legislature failed twice.. there for not listening to the people of North Dakota originally wanted in 07 and 09.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been thinking about this for a day now. I wish WCT12 and fritz the ditch cougar would reply.

What I can come up with is this from a rancher perspective: Ranchers have hay yards. The location really doesn’t change much, no different from where a farmer stores grain. Intentional or not, can’t those hay yards and grain bin sites be considered “bait piles” in the game and fish’s eyes? Is an apple tree a bait station? Pretty much any location that has year in and year out food for deer can be looked at as baiting.

Visited with the sugar beet growers. Forever hunters have been welcome to the beet tailings pile. Haul them away thank you.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
About an hour and a half ago, the baiting Bill came out of committee with a 6-0 do pass recommendation. Most amendments added on the House side were stripped or changed.

The dates are gone, the setback was changed from 150 feet to ten feet. Common sense says don't place bait in the fence line. I believe the 50 gallons thing stayed. That's fifty gallons per site.

It will go to the Senate Floor sometime next week. Then back over to the House to see if they concur with the changes.

Watch the Senate sub committee hearing:

Morning session:

https://video.ndlegis.gov/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20230330/-1/29756

Afternoon session:

https://video.ndlegis.gov/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20230330/-1/29885

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20230404-182139_Facebook.jpg

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ones in red need to be voted out next time they are up clearly not listening to the people also if your district senator is in red please contact them and ask them to reconsider it tommorow they can change there vote

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
wrote to one from my area and he voted for it. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure about changing votes but if so one needs to make the call if your person is part of no. db

Appears a lot of no came off Bismarck to Fargo alongside i94. Not sure if we have a lot of membership there.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It appears that all sponsor of bill voted yes but two members of committee who recommended approval voted no. Help me on that. db

Not sure how this here term limitation works but some maybe gone anyways.

One on that committee did not vote and with two who voted no that would be the three votes that are needed to pass.

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It doesn't surprise me that they don't listen to the people in their district. Just look at what they did when we the people voted in favor of term limits. They voted to change it in their favor and give themselves another term.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is what it is i guess.

But not sure how one group pass the bill overwhelmingly and a few weeks later another group says no.

How 6 on a committee say to pass and then two on that committee say no a few days later.
Got old, experience too much and find myself not trusting anymore.
Maybe wrong on my thoughts.
Was not for the MJ bill a few years ago but our leaders found a way to stall that one too and maybe they will find a way to stay in power. There is a lot of monies the leaders have control of so i will find it interesting to see how they will benefit.

Need summer to get the bike out, buddy, trip and go to a bar to look. First i need to contact a couple of our senators. db

Cannot see the names well but it does appear those in districts 42 and 44 need to call too.

If i am wrong i do apologies now.

Last edited:

Venator

I was emailing my rep back and forth and he said he was getting a little more opposed emails than for. Personally I was for the bill and want to keep baiting. The discussion in the senate today was interesting. Good points by those who spoke but i feel like the game and fish does need to be reigned in a bit. But I follow the CWD facebook page and after today I gotta say I'm pretty put off. It's another ND lockout scam and never had anything to do with baiting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77