How big and how small of walleye do you keep?

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone seems to have different sizes of fish that they keep. I know some people that keep every size of walleye from 13 inchers to 30+ inchers and say they all taste great. On the other hand, I also know people who only keep fish from 15-19." I am interested to hear what size you guys keep for eating.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
14 to 21 most of the time. If all I'm catching is 13 I have no problem taking home a limit. I have kept walleye over 21 before but seams like they are a little mushy. I think it is all personal preference if u want to eat 5lbers go ahead. They do have some cheeks at that size.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typically I will keep eyes from 1.5lbs up to about 4lbs. But if its a slow day and the only eye I catch is 6lbs, its probably doing to be dinner....

Pike Ill keep from 3lbs to 10lbs (depending where they are caught). Through the ice I may keep larger, up to 13ish lbs, for eating at least.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
14 to 23, I have kept 13inchers if that's all that's hitting.

sd fisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typically it's from 14 to 20 inches for me, but if i'm hungry for a meal of fresh eyes I will keep 13's. Northern's are usually 2 to 5 pounds or one bigger one if I need a pickler.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's nice living in a state where a guy doesn't have to worry about slots. If I'm hungry I keep it, if I have fish in the freezer it goes back.

- - - Updated - - -

Tho I'd rather not keep anything under 14 and feel bad keeping anything over 24ish. Not to say that I haven't or don't tho:;:thumbsup

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I mostly just do catch and release but when I do keep them I keep 14-20" unless I catch a bigger one that doesn't look like it will make it. For tourney fishing I only keep 15" and above. I don't see a need to keep 10 fish for 9 pounds and end up in the same spot as most others, which is out of the money anyway. Actually this year for the gov's cup we didn't even weigh in our fish on day two because we didn't have a shot anyway but did have a few nice fish along with some 15-16". I also won't keep a big fish to mount. I take measurements and pictures and release. Have a 29 3/4 and a 29 1/2 caught the same day that both went back in the drink. Just have to get around to sending the info for a replica on the 29 3/4. Just my personal preference.

Also, any walleye over 20" I like to cut the cheeks out and release for someone else to have a shot at it.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
16-17 is my preferred keeping range, won't keep anything over 20 to eat for sure......chalked full of mercury. ;:;barf

Walleye Slayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typically I keep anything 14 to 20. However if it is going to die, it doesn't matter what the size is I keep it. That includes gut hooked 10 inchers.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
14" on up. occasionally 13's if that's all that's biting. i simply don't fish enough to warrant putting that occasional 5-7lbr back. since i don't get out much.......at all, i keep anything i'm willing to eat, and will never see a problem with anyone doing it the same way

willing to eat? limit or less? you're not going to hear me giving you crap for filleting her!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
14" to 23" mostly. I have kept a few 24-25" here and there when all you catch is hogs, but that feels a little ridiculous at the cleaning table. Bigger fish cut in "fingers" and deep fried are fantastic. Little fish are what you want if you pan fry. Cheeks are delicacy all their own.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the fishing pressure these days in ND catch and release means release and fish gets recaught and kept.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
12 inch eyes fit nicely in the pan…I wasn’t aware that walleyes got bigger than 16 inches….where do you guys find these monsters ???

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the fishing pressure these days in ND catch and release means release and fish gets recaught and kept.

Says the guy that fishes 200 hundred days a year.

- - - Updated - - -

If any walleye bites on my line, he made a poor life decision.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

Couldn't find the article, but most walleye that are caught and released will more than likely never be caught again.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll typically keep anywhere from 13-14" to 21-22". That being said fish that swallowed the hook go in the bucket and I'f I have 4 and don't want to quit I don't put anything else in the bucket until I'm ready to go just in case. I catch an 8incher and it's going to die then it goes in the bucket. I'm even afraid of throwing it back just to "give it a chance" just because I feel like at that moment someone will show up down stream and say "hey a dead walleye, wonder where that came from?"

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the selenium found in the fish along with the mercury supposedly keeps it from binding (or some such)

it's when there's high mercury and no selenium that you have trouble - and I guess that's a rare circumstance in only a few species of fish

so dine away on those big pigs :;:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

15-22" for me generally - and I REALLY try to get my limit all over 16"

any under 16" I generally keep a secret out of shame :cool:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37