Ice Auger

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I know this is a long standing debate, and not looking to start any pissing matches. Jiffy, Nils, Eskimo, StrikeMaster, Stihl, etc etc etc ... All good I'm sure.

I got a good deal on a 51cc Eskimo with Quantum blades. I have an older eskimo with Quantum blades, and like the speed.

I also have an older strikemaster that still runs like a champ, but the center bit is busted, so I ordered a new chipper auger for that.

The Strikemaster Augers have a 1/4" hole for the bolt connecting powerhead to auger. The Eskimo have 3/8".

I plan on drilling holes (perpendicular to each other) in each of the new auger bits, so that I can use either bit on any of the powerheads that I own.

I considered ordering a new auger bit with the SM lazer blades, and still might. I cannot find an honest comparison anywhere between the eskimo quantum blades and the SM lazer blades.

Anyone have input on these? Particularly quantum vs lazer vs chipper.
(speed, ease of drilling, durability, etc.)

tommygun23

Established Member
I can compare SM Lazer and chipper. Lazer blades are far superior in my opinion. Very fast and smooth cutting, very minimal pressure as well. As far as the SM chipper goes, it is pretty torquey, you have to use a decent amount of pressure to drill with the chipper, not even close to as fast as the Lazer blades. I never use my chipper bit, usually don't have huge problems with dirty ice but also not that concerned. If you want to drill a lot of holes, Lazer. If you only want to drill a couple holes the chipper would suffice.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
That big of a difference between the lazer and quantum aye? Was hoping it would be fairly similiar.

tommygun23

Established Member
Sorry, I don't have much experience with the quantum, just the two SM models.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as gas augers go, Strike master has the best engines Solo/Honda, and Eskimo may have the best blades. I have the Honda Strikemaster with both lazer and chipper fighting. On good ice there is probably nothing better than lazer blades, but this is ND! I use the chipper on the Missouri system and its ok but the above poster is right, the chipper isn't near as smooth or fast as the lazer blades.

The Eskimo quantum blades seem to kind of be a hybrid between chipper and shaver. They are pretty smooth and don't seem to dull as quickly or be as finicky as the lazer blades. The engines are ok, but the ones i've used do have a hell of a vibration, but overall for the price i think Eskimo is a good choice.

I know guides on Winnipeg that have converted their Solo engine to use the Eskimo bit becasue they were tired of the lazer blades.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
As far as gas augers go, Strike master has the best engines Solo/Honda, and Eskimo may have the best blades. I have the Honda Strikemaster with both lazer and chipper fighting. On good ice there is probably nothing better than lazer blades, but this is ND! I use the chipper on the Missouri system and its ok but the above poster is right, the chipper isn't near as smooth or fast as the lazer blades.

The Eskimo quantum blades seem to kind of be a hybrid between chipper and shaver. They are pretty smooth and don't seem to dull as quickly or be as finicky as the lazer blades. The engines are ok, but the ones i've used do have a hell of a vibration, but overall for the price i think Eskimo is a good choice.

I know guides on Winnipeg that have converted their Solo engine to use the Eskimo bit becasue they were tired of the lazer blades.

I've played around with all 3 bits now. I agree that the quantum blades are the fastest. Chipper has its place, but much slower.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the quantums, I prefer them over the lazers because I can sharpen them at home, don't need to send them to a machine shop or back to strikemaster. That was my deciding factor.

Either way, when you hit dirty ice, the chipper is going to be the only one that will handle for an extended period of time.

RRmaniac

Established Member
I guess all I have used are the ones with 3 horse Tecumsehs. As far as I am concerned most augers now are crap. (plastic strikemasters)

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member

This I can agree with...had one of the newer Jiffy's. What a POS. That is why I currently run an Eskimo z71. It may be plastic but at least the damn thing starts every time and doesn't take 10 minutes to warm up. Blades have held up well.

Brett58852

I run an Ice Gator powerhead with the 9.5" auger. Zero doubt in my mind that it is the fastest cutting and smoothest breakthrough out there, but beware of how quickly it goes through blades on Lake Sacajawea and also Lake Winnipeg. I've become well versed in sharpening blades, so it doesn't bother me too terribly much. Its unfortunate that they are now incredibly expensive, but being under new ownership should remove the massive frustration in trying to get parts.
I also had it paired with a 8" K-Drill and it was incredible. If only Vexilar would come out with a 10" version. It would be my go-to setup for sure.
For the dirty ice areas I fish I think the chipper style work best as long as you have a high RPM powerhead, so pushing the auger through the ice isn't a factor. Mine generally still pulls its way down as long as its spinning fast enough and the blade is sharp.
Our guide in Canada was running an Eskimo and he even went through a set of blades, just not nearly as fast as I did with mine.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Pro4 cuts well when everything is working but had to replace the carb this winter then the recoil went out the next weekend, I bought the thing 2 falls ago. Jiffy pretty much told me that it was my issue since the warranty expired the month before. Will be selling my auger and never buying a Jiffy product ever again.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run an Ice Gator powerhead with the 9.5" auger. Zero doubt in my mind that it is the fastest cutting and smoothest breakthrough out there, but beware of how quickly it goes through blades on Lake Sacajawea and also Lake Winnipeg. I've become well versed in sharpening blades, so it doesn't bother me too terribly much. Its unfortunate that they are now incredibly expensive, but being under new ownership should remove the massive frustration in trying to get parts.
I also had it paired with a 8" K-Drill and it was incredible. If only Vexilar would come out with a 10" version. It would be my go-to setup for sure.
For the dirty ice areas I fish I think the chipper style work best as long as you have a high RPM powerhead, so pushing the auger through the ice isn't a factor. Mine generally still pulls its way down as long as its spinning fast enough and the blade is sharp.
Our guide in Canada was running an Eskimo and he even went through a set of blades, just not nearly as fast as I did with mine.

Who bought out icegator that is good news. I bought two augers one has the 9.5 and the other is a 8inch nils.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I hope it's true because I would like to get rest of my flightings for my 9.5

Brett58852

NilsUSA has their sticker on the power head now. It doesn't look like they adopted the auger portion tho, and rightfully so considering their own auger is what it is.
How many extra flights do you need? I have extras that I can part with if you need them badly. I haven't had a need to install them yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88