Ice fishing with fake bait??

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried some of the gulp and what nots years back with little to now luck, obviously everything has its day but has anyone had much success with the new artificial baits out there in regards to perch or eyes??

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never used gulp in the winter. Have had a lot of success in the spring. I bet 75% of the time I uses a jigging rap with a minnow head.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you talking plastics or the raps, darters, live target style? I caught a few perch on the fake waxies in the past, and a couple eyes on darters, know guys that have done well with other hard body baits though.

Casey Buchholz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think some guys might have had the same experience as I in this. When you get into a good perch bite where most of the fish are small with the occasional jumbo I will throw on a large chubby darter with no live bait on it. It's a real game changer. I also had a few outings over the past couple years where I went out after work with no live bait and ended with a limit of both walleye and perch. I'm a big fan of powerbait honey worms and salmo chubby darters. I've also caught many of my biggest pike on large flashy artificial baits through the ice.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you talking plastics or the raps, darters, live target style? I caught a few perch on the fake waxies in the past, and a couple eyes on darters, know guys that have done well with other hard body baits though.
love the jigging raps, Lindy flyers. Never had much luck with darters or salmos, I too love gulp on jigs in spring but the small waxies and nymph styles of a few variations(trigger x, gulp, ect) geared at ice fishing, are the ones I guess I was wondering about, tried them here and there even on a relatively hot bite with no success. Primarily fish for perch and hope for a few eyes here and there depending on where I'm at.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think some guys might have had the same experience as I in this. When you get into a good perch bite where most of the fish are small with the occasional jumbo I will throw on a large chubby darter with no live bait on it. It's a real game changer. I also had a few outings over the past couple years where I went out after work with no live bait and ended with a limit of both walleye and perch. I'm a big fan of powerbait honey worms and salmo chubby darters. I've also caught many of my biggest pike on large flashy artificial baits through the ice.

That's what this place is all about Casey, I appreciate it. Out of rep to give will have to owe.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a heck of a time getting enough confidence in fake baits especially through the ice. I caught a few with a Lindy darter that made me at least a partial believer. Had good luck with a jigging rap for largemouth bass a couple times out. As for the gulp I think I've tried but probably gave up so fast it wasn't a fair assessment. I think the gulp depend enough on a reaction strike that they could struggle through the ice. I know guys do well on the small plastics for panfish. I'm not one of those guys.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to absolutely pile drive the fish with the Salmo chubbys with no bait. Been where guys are using jig raps with minnow heads and other jigs with live bait. They catch one, I catch 4. That said, the lure hasn't been as dominant for me the last 2 seasons. It still catches fish, just not wildly better than other baits. With a lot of the artificial baits need you to conquer the mental confidence barrier to work well. I always laugh when guys use the "other" baits when fishing stinks because "what the heck, give it a whirl". The time to try those baits are when the fish are biting and you can figure out what triggers a bite on that bait. Then you have the confidence and know how to trigger fish even on a tough bite. Getting outside your comfort zone is tough, but you will never evolve without trying new/different stuff.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well said captain I have been a big fan of chubby daters ever since I started using them on the red in the winter. I have had good luck on lakes with them also.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33