Ice reports

Trav

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard of a few people venturing out just curious what people are seeing for ice. Not looking for specific lakes just part of state or county. I hope to get out next week. #$%^&>:;:rockit

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know what the Monkey said when he got his tail in the lawnmower ?

- - - Updated - - -

Won't be long now.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man I've seen a bit of slush ice in some of the ponds down south of town but that crap is so thin that even the geese fall through it.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Stopped by Lake Darling this morning...near Minot AFB...had a thin layer of ice across the entire lake. Guessing the next few days will build a few more inches but the winds early next week look rough!

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IMG_20161203_131203542.jpg

I was able to break off a chunk near shore about 1" thick on a small damn near my house

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most smaller sloughs were completly coverd from Bismarck to Mobridge yesterday. Rice lake by Strausberg had a good amount of ice on the south end but midlake north was ice free. Yesterday the water by the interstate bridge in Mandan was fairly open and full of geese today it was frozen shut.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wide open in my area. If we can get a couple calm nights it should be good to go in the bays by next weekend.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most smaller sloughs were completly coverd from Bismarck to Mobridge yesterday. Rice lake by Strausberg had a good amount of ice on the south end but midlake north was ice free. Yesterday the water by the interstate bridge in Mandan was fairly open and full of geese today it was frozen shut.

Rice lake was wide open today just got back from Bismark. Fricken sucks taking g the long way

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went and checked a lake north of bismarck a ways. The lake was wide open. And the bay was just starting to get a coating of ice on it. It'll be 2 weeks at least until it's ready

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We still have green grass and some flowers r drooped over but still have color rained last night no snow here in the east.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of the smaller sloughs around here still have open water on them. Bigger sloughs are WIDE OPEN. When guys get itchy, guys make marginal decisions, and then guys leave widows. Let's be safe out there fellas. I don't want to read about anyone in the paper.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
worst case is if a partially frozen lake blows open, then freezes with broken up ice chunks in it... it will trap air, and the ice chunks will insulate in places and keep the ice from driving down... you will b fine, till you're not...

i know from fishing the river, if you can't drive on it cuz of a rough chunky surface, you shouldn't even walk on it until everything else is really thick... the rough surface will also catch and hold snow instantly, which will make it really sketch till mid winter...

be safe all...

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
::closerlook:::Just got a report from a buddy he said he saw people out on Trenton lake!! Any body confirm this ?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
that wouldn't surprise me a bit... we always started there at least 2 weeks b4 we dared walk out on sak...

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yea...but it seems way to early for any body of water.. a small dam yesterday only had 1"lol

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant confirm but I believe it. Sunny now and rain this afternoon won't do it any favors. Trenton is so shallow some guys don't care much if they fall in. Someone will have a car out there by next weekend I know it. Not me though, if anything I'll be tip toeing on somewhere.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
If forecast holds there will be guys ice fishing next weekend. Not me my balls aren't big enough for that I'd rather fight the deep snow and access into fields and hunt the late season honkers at this point. Boy oh boy there is some feeds that will not get touched unless people have tracked vehicles. Sections lines are pretty much non travelavble around the big lake

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If forecast holds there will be guys ice fishing next weekend. Not me my balls aren't big enough for that I'd rather fight the deep snow and access into fields and hunt the late season honkers at this point. Boy oh boy there is some feeds that will not get touched unless people have tracked vehicles. Sections lines are pretty much non travelavble around the big lake

J...looking at the forecasted temps this week no doubt we will have fishable ice by next weekend...just gotta be safe...check conditions/thickness before heading out...spud bars for sure!

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saturday morning I hauled some decoys out to some backwater on the river, north of Bismarck. My spot was frozen solid. I tried to break through it (while I was wearing waders) and the ice didn't even crack.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 148
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 52