Instead of College

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
For everyone saying most of this should be up to the parents, in a perfect world I would agree, but that's not realistic. There are a lot of kids without much or any guidance and that's kind of where the public schools come in. For many kids its the only structure, meals, chance to succeed they have in their lives. We are better off trying to provide them with the tools to become a productive member of society in public schools otherwise they all become everyone else's problems for the rest of their lives. Its kind of a part of the "it takes a village to raise a child" thing.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's the kids that don't do anything in high school other than sports, clubs and video games that don't know what they are interested in until they are 22. I agree that parents need to find ways to give their kids samples of life to see what they are good at and what they are interested in. Not always the same thing. I was a hired man for a farmer in high school, cured me of ever wanting to farm. Took shop class, nope. Took computer programming....bingo! Parents need to get their kids to sample as many different things (that can earn money) as reasonably possible so they can make an educated decision.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes "T" i also bought and rode $250 Scorpions. I remember at a young age a Maytag gas motor laying in a building, finding a wrench and taking it apart to see what was in it. Pop was not there to teach me all and did expect me to learn it on my own. Why my first car at age 12 was a 52 Buick for $50. If i wanted to drive it, it needed to be love by me first.

And like i said earlier i am not sure if i ever knew what i wanted to do and after a lifetime of working only now found with retirement. Turns out what i should of went for when i was 14. db

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am nearly one year removed as a HS Career & Technical Education (CTE) instructor. CTE is the "new" term, vocational, go-ag, shop, home ec, are all outdated terms these days. That said, I'll lend my thoughts and try to keep it brief.

First, career guidance needs to start at home. Parents need to help their kids explore and develop their strengths and interests. They also need to be realistic with their children and understand that not every kid is going to be a neurosurgeon or professional athlete. Then, as they get to high school, be involved as the student signs up for classes.

Neither of my children would listen to me as far as careers. They started in a daycare that was very large and they just like a deer or pheasant any other animal they had to compete to be at the top. They competed all througout school intellectually; they wanted to be at the top. They both graduated from college early/ masters all while working at the same time OT.

I never said one word about getting a job as soon as they hit 14 they had jobs. They excelled at work and that helped them make more than what most high schoolers made. I could go on and on I am not trying to brag seriously. ---- what worked for me as a parent -- dont give to much let them be hungry, expectations high when very young then back off, dispcipline when young. It paid off.

Basically its shorthair 101 training --- just like you train a shorthair do the same with your kids and they will excel to be the best.

I never once said or provided my kids more then what my parents did for me. In fact I dropped the bar and provided less and that made em hungry.

Sports
- way overdone now days. To many and to much time spent on them. The balance when i went to school was ok -- now days its way overboard; the time spent is crazy . We need workers

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good points and opinions given here, shows why this is a complex topic. I do think schools could do a better job of getting kids to sample careers instead of just taking math, science, history, english year after year. I see so many kids that just wander around school with no direction and no interest in doing school, failing everything, missing 30 days of school a year. Those would be better suited going into more of a career oriented training program IMO but as with anything it's tricky.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also tried to include our son in all kinds of "home" (wiring, plumbing, wall construction, installing doors, changing oil on the car, sharpening mower blades, etc.) and outdoor activities (hunting, fishing, shooting guns, etc.) when he was growing up. I was surprised when one day he called me up to thank me. He was with a group of friends who didn't know which way to even turn a bolt to loosen it, he remembered us going over that. Real minor but very heartwarming to know he remembered where he learned that. LOL
Growing up on a farm/ranch and having to do chores and having to mow and rake hay from the time I was ten taught me alot. Also most of my friends and I had old POS cars in HS. We learned alot from having old POS cars, changing starters and alternators, and alot more repair. Shocked me when I had different friends shortly out of HS that didn't know shit about repair or could barely if even change a tire. I can remember being in HS and being kind of jealous of the kids whose parents always bought them the nicest vehicle to drive, now I'm glad I had the experience of driving a POS and think every kid should have have to drive one at least through HS just to learn a few things.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good choices (kids) come at an early age.
You Will clean up the dog shit in the yard.
You Will make your bed every morning.
You Will help with dishes/laundry.
You Will help shovel snow/mow.
You Will............ ect.
I believe young kids actually feel a bit of pride learning things at a young age just "knowing" it has to be done.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our school did a good job of introducing MS kids to the different courses to help them make better choices once they got into HS. I do agree that schools still need to play a part as many kids don't have the guidance that many of us have been lucky to have. There are also kids who won't listen to anyone (including their parents). In education, you reach as many of them as you can. The ones who are goers and have guidance, your push as hard as you can. The ones with no idea, you just try to steer as you can. There are just a lot of parents these days who want to make life as easy as they can for kids and for them to avoid work as long as possible. I get it, but those that can work are far, far ahead even if they don't know what to do with their lives

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good choices (kids) come at an early age.
You Will clean up the dog shit in the yard.
You Will make your bed every morning.
You Will help with dishes/laundry.
You Will help shovel snow/mow.
You Will............ ect.
I believe young kids actually feel a bit of pride learning things at a young age just "knowing" it has to be done.
Wife is still trying to get me to do this now at 75. Think my time has passed. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84