insurance paying for flood

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's pre-dam than it's meaningless. If we want to get really crazy, all of Bismarck should have to get flood insurance because if Peck broke and then Sak broke, all of Bis would be flooded.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why have flood insurance when you can just get the county to pay for your place....

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's pre-dam than it's meaningless. If we want to get really crazy, all of Bismarck should have to get flood insurance because if Peck broke and then Sak broke, all of Bis would be flooded.

I would disagree with it being "meaningless". It represents the volume of water that can be stored up above an icejam and the potential for it to fail catastrophically. Could Garrison have tamed that event? Yes, but I am not convinced it would have been able to prevent catastrophic flooding due to the ice jam failing. Unfortunate timing akin to the 2009 icejam has plenty of water coming from the other tributaries south of the dam and a person can get to an expected flow of around 70k-80k in the Bismarck area (roughly flood stage) without ice problems. Now, this wouldn't be a weeks long event like 2011 as the water would recede pretty quickly, but nobody wants water in their house for any length of time.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no doubt that any ice jam that threatened homes along the river, million dollar homes at that, would be eliminated with explosives, salt or some other solution long before it ever flooded homes miles from the river. I believe it is just a money grab.

mikef

★★★★ Legendary Member
I would disagree with it being "meaningless". It represents the volume of water that can be stored up above an icejam and the potential for it to fail catastrophically. Could Garrison have tamed that event? Yes, but I am not convinced it would have been able to prevent catastrophic flooding due to the ice jam failing. Unfortunate timing akin to the 2009 icejam has plenty of water coming from the other tributaries south of the dam and a person can get to an expected flow of around 70k-80k in the Bismarck area (roughly flood stage) without ice problems. Now, this wouldn't be a weeks long event like 2011 as the water would recede pretty quickly, but nobody wants water in their house for any length of time.

I have no doubt that any ice jam that threatened homes along the river, million dollar homes at that, would be eliminated with explosives, salt or some other solution long before it ever flooded homes miles from the river. I believe it is just a money grab.
There is validity and probability good intentions but single player plans are a joke
Imo, we are essentially compensating coastal housing developments
Depending on who you talk to, We had a 100-500 yr flood in 2011, house was untouched except for ground water ( which flood insurance doesn’t cover) and rates went up significantly along with reclassification of flood zone. We might be waiting for Noah’s flood

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is validity and probability good intentions but single player plans are a joke
Imo, we are essentially compensating coastal housing developments
Depending on who you talk to, We had a 100-500 yr flood in 2011, house was untouched except for ground water ( which flood insurance doesn’t cover) and rates went up significantly along with reclassification of flood zone. We might be waiting for Noah’s flood
Flood insurance does cover ground water but since it is a basement it is limited.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m prepared to be educated, but the groundwater damage was not covered
Mine was partially covered in 2011 With flood insurance, furnace, electrical, insulation, drywall. no texture, paint, doors, trim, or floor coverings. Now I did have surface flood water within 75’ of the house.

mikef

★★★★ Legendary Member
Mine was partially covered in 2011 With flood insurance, furnace, electrical, insulation, drywall. no texture, paint, doors, trim, or floor coverings. Now I did have surface flood water within 75’ of the house
Flood insurance or FEMA?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flood insurance or FEMA?
Flood insurance. i tried to get fema to cover what flood ins didn’t but they wouldn’t,
now if I wouldn’t have had flood ins fema said they would have covered up to $29,000 which was more than my damage.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still like you, @Allen. We just might not agree completely on this topic. Btw, I don’t have a mortgage so nobody imposing their rules on me, at least not for this.
I like you as well, but I am telling you as someone who works with water that there is non-trivial risk of flooding in that area and I would be very uncomfortable as a homeowner. One can believe what they wish, but the numbers are what they are,

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like you as well, but I am telling you as someone who works with water that there is non-trivial risk of flooding in that area and I would be very uncomfortable as a homeowner. One can believe what they wish, but the numbers are what they are,
So what is the most likely scenario where south Bismarck floods? I’m talking water on the streets at least 3 feet deep. Keeping in mind the coulee, pumps near fox, and the roads that were raised.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start with a miserably cold and wet winter that leaves us with 4-6 inches of water equivalent in the snowpack and follow it with a very sudden warm spell in mid March that brings a 2-4 inch rain from Dickinson up to Garrison. and over to Steele.

A sudden loss of Heart Butte dam would certainly do it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 120
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 38