Keeping UND fans out of opposing arenas

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]From the Grand Forks Herald today. Pretty weak of Omaha if you ask me, makes them look afraid.

Omaha’s ticket policy to try to limit UND fans probably not the last of its kind
[/h]
Two years ago, the University of Denver tried to keep North Dakota hockey fans out of Magness Arena.

Denver instituted a ticket policy requiring fans who wanted single-game tickets to the UND-DU series to buy tickets to three other Denver games.

Although UND fans were angered by the policy, they eventually found a way around it, learning they could purchase group tickets (25 or more) for the series without having to buy seats for other DU games.
Fans then sold their leftovers to friends or other UND fans.
By the time game week arrived, Denver ditched the policy and opened up the few remaining single-game tickets, free of restrictions.
Denver’s idea backfired. Magness Arena was flooded with green and white for both games. UND, feeling right at home, scored early Friday night and routed the Pioneers in the opener.
But just because that attempt failed, that doesn’t mean it’s the last time an opposing school will try something like it.
This morning, when single-game tickets go on sale for Nebraska Omaha at 10 a.m., fans will not be able to to purchase tickets for the UND series (Feb. 26-27) online. The other 16 home games will all be available on Ticketmaster.com.
UND fans hoping to get tickets will have to either line up in person at Sapp Fieldhouse in Omaha or try to get them by phone at (402) 554-6287. You have to believe those phone calls will be left ringing for a while, especially ones that come in with a 701 area code.
Ever since the schools joined the same conference in 2010, Omaha has yet to win a series against UND. Many of those games were played in front of huge UND crowds, whether they were held in Grand Forks or Omaha.
Now, coinciding with the opening of Baxter Arena, Omaha wants to take back home-ice advantage.
This ticket policy may be more difficult for UND fans to find a way around than the Denver one. Plenty of them will find their way in, though.
Regardless of how this one turns out, don’t expect this to be the last time that an opposing team puts together a game plan to keep UND fans to a minimum.
Denver was just the start.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might as well return the favor. As they walk in with the opposing team's gear on, you quietly shuffle them to a side room with a 19" tv and a 12 pack of keystone light that's been sitting next to a heater all day.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty stupid deal. My sister lives in Omaha and being she, and the rest of my siblings are all UND Alum we try to make it down to Omaha for the UND-UNO series. I was looking forward to this year being they have a new arena. We are most likely going to go anyway as long as they aren't sold out by the time my sister get our tickets, it just kinda annoys me that these teams do this. Hopefully they answer the phones and we are able to fill their arena with green and black!

On a side note we went down in 2013 for the outdoor game and it was a blast. I would love to see it happen again somewhere in the region.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont understand this policy, they would rather have unsold tickets than have people from ND buy them? What kind of business do they operate anyway? Shouldnt the conference put a stop to this discrimination?

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
So they phone # they posted did not work, a call into the athletic office and they are saying the series is sold out, kind of doubt that as UNO fans are not nearly as crazy as we are up here. currently have a call in to UND alumni assoc. and the UNO assistant athletic director. Luckily my oldest sister has a lot of contacts from her years of doing alumni events. Stay tuned...

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I first read the title of your topic, I thought you were going to tell us that the opposing teams were not going to allow fighting sioux jerseys.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dumasses…if UND fans want to go to a UNO game they will go…there are enough UND alumni spread around that part of the country that a phone call or two wouldn’t take much…I personally will not be going this year since they moved the rink on campus…the old set up connected to the Hilton was the bomb…no staying somewhere and shuttling or bussing to campus does not entice me…with this new policy and new on campus rink…watch UNO’s attendance plummet even lower than it already is…

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dumasses…if UND fans want to go to a UNO game they will go…there are enough UND alumni spread around that part of the country that a phone call or two wouldn’t take much…I personally will not be going this year since they moved the rink on campus…the old set up connected to the Hilton was the bomb…no staying somewhere and shuttling or bussing to campus does not entice me…with this new policy and new on campus rink…watch UNO’s attendance plummet even lower than it already is…

I hear that martin. Wife and I took the fun bus to the Omaha series last year. Jumped on board the bus at 6:00am and was drinking brewski's at 6:15. You are correct..staying at the hotel connected to the arena was the way to go. Local Basketball team, Creighton, was playing Georgetown that weekend as well. Rode the elevator down with Coach John Thompson of Georgetown..that was cool.
As far as the series with UNO and UND...yes it really appeared we were outnumbering them..GO SIOUX! so can see why they are doing this shenanigans.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pussies!!! Almost as bad as not being willing to play them at all like the biggest pussies (Don Lucia & his Gophers) in college hockey did.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand the logic by these arena managers. As a Sioux fan who travels, we spend a lot of money on tickets, hotel and beer, have think the visitors and convention bureau/tourism/hotel owner folks in these towns are scratching their heads too. Especially when it is us ND fans that sell the games out for them.

However, in their defense, it must be embarrassing in Denver when there are more Sioux fans at your teams game than home fans. I'm sure we are annoying too....in fact I know we are!

One of the best lines from I think someone in the Omaha area....."Sioux fans are like mice, if you see one in your building it means there are hundreds of them!"

The reality of it is that this boils down to jealousy and envy on behalf of the other teams/universities. They only wish they had half of the passion and support that ND and it's fans have for hockey. I take it as a compliment.

Go Sioux!

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear that it was happening this past spring for some hockey and basketball playoffs

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77