Landowner Respect or maybe it's just not common sense anymore?????

Happycamper

Honored Member
I once had a ranch wife ask if I could sharpen her kitchen knives. She must have had a dozen and I put a diamond stone edge on every one. Never had to ask to hunt that ranch again. I was expected and welcomed to keep those knives sharp.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I very much appreciate permissions that have been granted by landowners. I send Thanksgiving and Christmas cards, and take walleye fillets whenever possible. I have even helped one of the elderly ladies pick her apples in the fall. She gave me raspberries and strawberries for helping. Very nice !

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to teach them young. All this starts with parenting.

Little Freddie first grade. His Mother went to the first teachers conference. She wasn't worried but didn't know what to expect. The teacher said to Freddie's mom, I am so glad to meet you. Little Freddie is the only kid in my 25 years of teaching (alarm goes off) that comes in every morning and hangs his backpack on his chair and says "Good Morning Mrs. Smith". with a little smile on his face. She continued "This happens every day. It is a great way for me to start off the day."
Both the Mother and Father were somewhat surprised as they didn't tell him to do that.

True story. Names are changed. Happened 12 years ago. Little Freddie in now in college, but he hasn't changed much.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to be nervous when asking permission. Started hunting in the early 60's when Posted land was rare. Everyone just hunted wherever they wanted. Things have changed and I've discovered that a whole lot of landowners are very friendly as long as you're not causing them a problem. Close their gates, pick up your trash, don't drive when they don't want, etc. Take the time to visit and get to know them and you will have a place to hunt for a long time. Gifts are always welcome but they don't have to be large. Someone mentioned getting an idea of what they might use, good idea. I've been turned down but in most cases it's because they may have family hunting or another valid reason. Another advantage to getting to know one landowner is they have friends and a recommendation from another landowner is good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88