Landowner Respect or maybe it's just not common sense anymore?????

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been pissed all day and usually don't rant publically but can't seem to let it go today for some reason, maybe turning 60 does that to a guy?

Helped put a "person" in touch with a landowner to try to help them fill their elk tag. Landowner helped out, said he would even help load it if they got one and asked them to let them know how they do. I assumed the elk moved on and the area was a bust because the landowner hadn't heard a thing when I talked to him on Sunday. This morning I reached out and asked how it went, just to find out that they did get an elk and it was even shot on landowners land.

NOT EVEN A BLANKEN THANK YOU!!!!!!! All the landowner asked for was to let him know if they got one, I'm sure he would have liked to have seen it also. Needless to say he is kind of bitter about it right now.

And people wonder why it is getting harder to find access!!!

Okay I'm done!!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sure would be common courtesy, hopefully like gwf says a followup soon.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Communication is pretty sketchy nowadays. The Pony Express has been running late.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A coworker got a cow up there this weekend. He said the landowner was awesome and even though the landowner didn't ask for anything he gave him a couple hundred bucks for being so helpful. Just like everything there are good people and shit heads in all aspects of life.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t think some people understand what a blessing it is to meet a landowner who lets you hunt on THEIR land. They don’t have to let anyone on ever if they don't want to. Thanking them afterwards is as important if not more important than thanking them up front. I had a big long talk with my daughter last weekend after she shot her turkeys. It was the first thing we did after the hunt and although I had already thanked the guy over the phone, we drove to his place and I had her walk up and do the same. I talked to her about how limited access is and how you can set yourself apart from other hunters by being courteous enough to follow up when you actually do find a place to hunt. I told her how I’ve made lifelong friends simply by asking permission from a stranger and thanking them afterwards for their kindness. I told her how some landowners basically set their land aside for me and only me because of this approach. I also told her it’s just simply the right thing to do. Someone was kind to you…go out of your way to make sure they know it was appreciated. And if they want to sit and BS for awhile, you better pull up a chair and get to know them.

I’m guessing some guys and gals don’t get to hear this talk and thus it sadly never crosses their mind.
If my dad hadn’t had the talk with me, I probably wouldn’t have thought to have the same discussion with my daughter.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you talked to the hunter? I think some constructive conversation about the impact they have on access and landowner relationships is a responsibility you have. They may be oblivious to their actions and a teaching moment could go a long way.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Common sense, common courtesy, and common ground…ironically three things that are seldom found these days.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
A thank you when your done is common courtesy and I like to come back with a ring or three of sausage once its completed. I little thank you for letting me enjoy their land.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Common sense, common courtesy, and common ground…ironically three things that are seldom found these days.

Those 3 things used to be common place. The lack of respect and courtesy in society today, has been replaced with "it's all about me me me "

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t think some people understand what a blessing it is to meet a landowner who lets you hunt on THEIR land. They don’t have to let anyone on ever if they don't want to. Thanking them afterwards is as important if not more important than thanking them up front. I had a big long talk with my daughter last weekend after she shot her turkeys. It was the first thing we did after the hunt and although I had already thanked the guy over the phone, we drove to his place and I had her walk up and do the same. I talked to her about how limited access is and how you can set yourself apart from other hunters by being courteous enough to follow up when you actually do find a place to hunt. I told her how I’ve made lifelong friends simply by asking permission from a stranger and thanking them afterwards for their kindness. I told her how some landowners basically set their land aside for me and only me because of this approach. I also told her it’s just simply the right thing to do. Someone was kind to you…go out of your way to make sure they know it was appreciated. And if they want to sit and BS for awhile, you better pull up a chair and get to know them.

I’m guessing some guys and gals don’t get to hear this talk and thus it sadly never crosses their mind.
If my dad hadn’t had the talk with me, I probably wouldn’t have thought to have the same discussion with my daughter.

Well said Dirty,true words.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know what's great about giving and helping others as that we don't get to stop that just because one person decides to be an asshole, God encourages us to help those who are less fortunate then ourselves. The landowner now has an example to share with future hunters on what not to do, people do seem to listen and learn from others people's mistakes if we can be informed of what someone else did that was not ok. Elk,moose,big horn tags are supposed to be once-in-a-lifetime opportunity which reassures all landowners that they won't have to deal with that particular individual again. On behalf of all future participants I appreciate every land owner for the opportunities that are given me which is the reason I try to pay it forward as much possible as I can in some way. Thanks for sharing even it it is an negative experience hopefully some will read this and have a reminder as to what not to do when hospitality is given. JMTC "JAYKAY"

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know what's great about giving and helping others as that we don't get to stop that just because one person decides to be an asshole, God encourages us to help those who are less fortunate then ourselves. The landowner now has an example to share with future hunters on what not to do, people do seem to listen and learn from others people's mistakes if we can be informed of what someone else did that was not ok. Elk,moose,big horn tags are supposed to be once-in-a-lifetime opportunity which reassures all landowners that they won't have to deal with that particular individual again. On behalf of all future participants I appreciate every land owner for the opportunities that are given me which is the reason I try to pay it forward as much possible as I can in some way. Thanks for sharing even it it is an negative experience hopefully some will read this and have a reminder as to what not to do when hospitality is given. JMTC "JAYKAY"

Lunk, you made my day!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Besides personally thanking them back in the day when we hunted out west, we would get them gift cards for a nice steak house. Some of the men didn't give a hoot about it but their bride's sure did. It was one night when they didn't have to cook and they got out of the house!
There were a couple ranches where we would go out and help them work cattle in the spring and fall. Being we had cattle and knew the ropes, they really appreciated the extra hands.
Even offer to help fix fence with them or haul hay.
Little things go a long ways!
One old gentleman even offered to sell us his ranch. Man I kick myself for not trying to buy it but money was short and interest was high, so I politely told him I couldn't afford it. That was back in the Carter years.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I try to feel out what they might appreciate through conversation. I’ve found one of the most appreciated “thank yous” is a bag of vacuum sealed walleye. I’ve noticed that most busy farmers and ranchers that I know don’t get a lot of fishing in.
I also glance around the room for whatever the most common bottle or can is.

I don’t always give it to them after the hunt either…a lot of times I will swing by in the dead of winter to say hi and thanks and drop off a little something; just letting them know I didn’t forget about their generosity.

I send Christmas cards also to those who I’ve forged a stronger friendship with along the way…usually a card with my kids or dog holding something that was shot on their land with a background they are familiar with. I think a lot of landowners take pride in other people creating a memory on what they have built over time.

I won’t ever be one to pay fees for land access, but I do what feels appropriate to show my appreciation, and that isn’t specifically just for hunting permission.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always made it a point to drop off a gift or just a card around Christmas time to the landowners I used to get permission from, was always a good chat and fun times shooting the bull with them.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed Dirty about gifts,some of the best pheasant hunting in my life was near Kearny nebraska,had a contact that was a commodity broker,pheasant season in nebraska opens the first weekend in november after the crops are down we had 20k arces to ourselves...was a leaning experience meeting all these farmers ,ranchers who opened up they're land to us to hunt,they were all land rich and cash poor,some hunted with us or just they're boyz tagged along which lead to over excited youngens shooting up my truck ,even got spraid once myself with bird shot,couple years went by,as a thankyou I gave jugs of whiskey to them until I found out these folks no longer drank but loved fresh walleyes and they knew I was an avid walleye fisherman from minnesota,my contact told me not to waste the walleye fillets on these folks,bring'em bass of whatever fillets,they'll never know the difference lol,my contact hoarded the walleye fillets.

Today the pheasant boom in nebraska is long over along with no more CRP. but great memories live on as I suspect most of these farmers/ranchers have passed on by now,good times remembered.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 85