looking for utv

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a 12 Polaris Ranger and loved it but it was an 800 and got warm in the cab in the summer. Put a blanket in between the seat and backrest and that fixed alot of it. Definitely go power steering. We sold our Ranger to my daughter and her husband and they like it as well. We bought a Polaris General in 17 and like it alot. Better ride and better seat but power steering isn't as good. Goes like a bat out of hell too. Way too fast for this hombre!
For an all around machine i would go back to a Ranger in 900 or 1,000 cc as their motor sits farther back and aren't as warm. Good machines and take a lot of abuse. All makers have good points and bad and all have good machines and lemons. Test drive as many as you can and if buying used don't be in a rush. There are good ones out there you just have to keep your eyes and ears open and put some feelers out there to your friends in different areas.
Don't buy one that was on a ranch. Ranchers buy equipment to use and use them they do!

How did that 800 ranger start in the winter? Like lake winnipeg temps is what I'm wondering about. -20° and colder.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did that 800 ranger start in the winter? Like lake winnipeg temps is what I'm wondering about. -20° and colder.

My RZR 800 popped off every time if that helps. -32 one morning. I was worried, but that EFI is beautiful.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
with the new cabs heat and a/c if you want and what they will go through light enough to haul on a light weight trailer there are very nice machines. but like what has been said I have a hard time dropping 24k on one then have to buy tracks.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever deal with Abernathy cycles in Tennessee or have a utv shipped up here?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't, but have followed the Honda side x side forum closely. Lots of people purchase from them. Kind of interested myself. May need to make the call just out of curiosity. Would like to keep it local, but prices are unreal compared to here.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, same thoughts here to I usually even give the local dealers a chance to match or come close. How do them guys like the Honda side by sides? I know the Honda 4 wheelers are bulletproof I think the utvs are good to but have heard not great things about them if you put a cab on them

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ours started fine as long as you had a good battery in it. A buddy has the same machine and same year and he put a bigger battery in his so it really whirls it over when cold.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody ever deal with Abernathy cycles in Tennessee or have a utv shipped up here?

Abernathy really gives some good straight out prices. Back about 5-8 years ago they didn't ship them but have heard a couple years ago they started shipping. Just what i heard.
If a couple guys each bought one the drive to Tennessee wouldn't be that expensive either.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, same thoughts here to I usually even give the local dealers a chance to match or come close. How do them guys like the Honda side by sides? I know the Honda 4 wheelers are bulletproof I think the utvs are good to but have heard not great things about them if you put a cab on them
Been following the clutch issue. Seems they have that and the excessive heat in the cab things taken care of. Still much bigger fan of the shaft drive over belt. Lot of people have never had belt issues I realize. Common sense will go a long ways in the longevity of them.
Check their forum, lots of good info.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 3