Losing my best friend.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Certainly no dry eyes here. It's one of the hardest things to do but they 100% appreciate the wonderful life that you gave them.
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family 🙏

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know your pain and am sorry. I watched Sadie run after my wife's car in heavy snow and get run over. She was able to stand up, yelp then topple dead. The kids watched me carry her up the hill. I thought I was good enough to train her without a shock collar. I am a moron.

My "best" advice is to discuss the situation honestly with your family while putting yourself "outside" the issue. There are plenty pups in need of a soul to absorb.

Last edited:

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With our last dog, I knew within the week I would have to make that decision. Wife was out of town, so dreaded making the call on my own, fearing she would doubt me. Came home for lunch, spent a few minutes with him, ran downstairs for a minute...came back up and he was gone. Thankful I didn't have to make the decision and that I had those couple minutes.

It was February - Valentines Day, to be exact. Wrapped him in a favorite blanket and took him to the garage. Spent the next couple weeks building a coffin, complete with routered name, date of birth, date of death, etc. Sealed as best as I could until spring when I could bury him. Hand-dug a grave for the way-too-big coffin, and immediate family had a funeral in April.

That was about 13 years ago...current dog in closing in on the end. I find myself hoping she goes in her sleep, as I'm not sure I'm strong enough to make that decision...

Dogs provide us with some of the best moments, but also some of the worst.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So sorry Aaron - our dogs truly are just like our children. The unconditional love, loyalty, and friendship they give us make them so damn special. Hope and pray she is in no pain and can enjoy you and your family for however much longer she has left with you. God bless man...thoughts and prayers.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today was the day. I’m grateful we got more time than we thought we would, but I’ll love you forever sweet girl.

Attachments

IMG_6048.jpeg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aaron, sorry for the loss of you friend/family member. 😢

Rest assured that you will one day meet again.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sorry friend. That's a tasteful memorial.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost my best friend this past winter the first hunting trip this year was rough but she was with me I had her cremated and I put some of her ashes in an empty 12 ga shell and crimped it and glued it I carry her on my remote lanyard so she will always be hunting with me.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put her down before it gets too bad, its hard to do, but better than letting her suffer for your own benefit. Best wishes...

On a side note, has anyone thought about using nitrogen gas to euthanize a pet? They are starting to use it on humans and its supposed to be one of the most humane ways to go. I had to put down my dog last fall and the way they do it at the vet doesn't seem like the best solution, its hard to witness.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sorry for the passing of your best friend. Have had to do it and it is heartbreaking.
Just remember, they love you for the life you gave them !

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put her down before it gets too bad, its hard to do, but better than letting her suffer for your own benefit. Best wishes...

On a side note, has anyone thought about using nitrogen gas to euthanize a pet? They are starting to use it on humans and its supposed to be one of the most humane ways to go. I had to put down my dog last fall and the way they do it at the vet doesn't seem like the best solution, its hard to witness.
Not sure what you're referring too but when we had to put our dog down a few years back they gave him a shot in the leg which he din't even notice and he peacefully fell asleep. Very humane IMO and he was being cuddled by his family when he went. My eyes are getting sweaty remembering this.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what you're referring too but when we had to put our dog down a few years back they gave him a shot in the leg which he din't even notice and he peacefully fell asleep. Very humane IMO and he was being cuddled by his family when he went. My eyes are getting sweaty remembering this.
when I took Easton in, they gave him a shot that put him to sleep, but I dont think it was a deep sleep, then they gave him another which essentially stopped his breathing, but he struggled to breathe for a bit and had some twitching etc that happened, I dont think he was conscious enough to suffer, but it wasnt fun to watch either.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The last time I had to put my best friend down at the vet's I asked for two shots. One was for me to stop the heart acke, and at the time I meant it, but since I am typing this the Vet did not comply. LB

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear about your pooch. I read this this afternoon knowing I need to bury my own tonight after some spinless asshole swerved to hit him last night and kept of driving after he did. Nothing more worthless in this world than a coward that won't own up for his own antics

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear about your pooch. I read this this afternoon knowing I need to bury my own tonight after some spinless asshole swerved to hit him last night and kept of driving after he did. Nothing more worthless in this world than a coward that won't own up for his own antics
I’m sorry man, that’s terrible.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88