Marine band radio

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need code words!!! For instance:

Sconis invading the landing: The milk has curdled, I repeat: the milk has curdled.

A hot bullhead bite: My BS-o-meter is off the charts!

The beer is plentiful: We're at basecamp.

The beer is dwindling: We're nearing the summit.

The beer is out: We've summited! Requesting immediate airdrop!

Biting on jigs: I think I'm getting carpel tunnel.

Biting on spinners: You spin me right round baby, right round!

Biting on cranks: Wibbles wobble but they don't fall down.

Etc.

Please continue! I'm making a journal so we can keep these straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh, and Roger.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, Good stuff, Secret codes are very important , I think we should start a private club so the sconies can't sandbag this thread and learn all the tricks we will have in the bag. I'll laugh my ass off watching a flock of sconies go flying across the lake and up to a decoy boat and start fishing. over.

one more thing , Just dawned on me , What are a bunch of sconies ? Flock, school ,herd , cluster ? Over

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
one more thing , Just dawned on me , What are a bunch of sconies ? Flock, school ,herd , cluster ? Over

A large gathering of Sconis is called a "wheel," I believe. A "block" would be appropriate to describe smaller, more intimate gathering.

- - - Updated - - -

Used in a sentence:

A frigging wheel of sconis just pulled into the bait station. So much for getting any leaches.

Or:

A Sconi block just set up alongside some Hmongs near the bridge. I think they're actually asking for fishing advice.

Or in code language:

The milk has curdled, I repeat: The milk has curdled! And not a block, a whole damn wheel!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Catching 'em shallow: nemo is on the reef

catching 'em deeper: nemo is out to SEA!

their in the weeds: hairy balls

Im catching biggins: elephantitous!

idiots at the ramp: obama dock

over n out good buddy

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
this all sounds like fun, I will be on the cabala's web page picking out a hand held this evening... over

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are a bunch of sconies ? Flock, school ,herd , cluster ? Over

4Z0viwi.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

over

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have run mine at Devils Lake, but got sick of the "can you pick up an air filter for the tractor when your in town", "can you stop at XXX while your in town and get some grease", "tell Cenex to deliver some fuel to me on the south quarter". I thought this frequency was for marine only, but not around Devils Lake.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have run mine at Devils Lake, but got sick of the "can you pick up an air filter for the tractor when your in town", "can you stop at XXX while your in town and get some grease", "tell Cenex to deliver some fuel to me on the south quarter". I thought this frequency was for marine only, but not around Devils Lake.

That could be a good thing , Might be able to make friends with them and take them fishing . They might even let a guy hunt or help clean up some old trees or have some local cafe gossip about where the fish are biting. It gets boring out there, I can't imagine what it would be like not having to steer. If they get crabby with all our chatter I could try sell them 4 or 5 business band radios that I have no use for.

- - - Updated - - -

over

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
but could come in handy if stranded. Many spots with no cell service.

Very important to me as when I am out during the week I sometimes do not see another boat. I never hardly hear any chatter. May need to be screaming Mayday, Mayday next time I take out the lower unit again. Fifteen years and three lower units haven't had one in 6 years now so I am due.

With all those codes and new n
icknames do you guys fish in a formation too?

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
These were the channels most commonly on Erie. Non Commercial.
68156.425156.425Non-Commercial
69156.475156.475Non-Commercial
When there is a slow bite it can get pretty interesting.
I am surprised to hear the farmer are on marine vhf frequencies. I remember that when they boost their output on CB radios they will bleed all over other frequencies.
I will have to dig out my handheld as the fixed one is stil on the boat in Ohio. ;:;banghead

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
68 and 69 are used frequently on the van hook arm. You will find me on one of them (and 1 other) frequently. Marine band is now used for little gossip. Of course, checking a bite with a buddy is still done via phone.....or atleast tell 'em over marine band to call you etc.... I have a lowrance link 5 with 3' antennae....works wonders. can pull over 10 miles on the lake easily. Also nice for momma at the cabin to call you in for supper!

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very important to me as when I am out during the week I sometimes do not see another boat. I never hardly hear any chatter. May need to be screaming Mayday, Mayday next time I take out the lower unit again. Fifteen years and three lower units haven't had one in 6 years now so I am due.

With all those codes and new n
icknames do you guys fish in a formation too?

I just fish in my boat, over

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 27
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8