Measure 2: Marijuana Legalization

Will you support the legalization of high THC cannabis in ND?

• Yes

Votes: 71 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 54 36.5%
  • Don't care... Hand me another beer!

Votes: 23 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets do this again, Im curious how it will turn out compared to the last poll and upcoming election results.
How are you going to vote on Measure 2, this legalizes cannabis in ND.

Under Measure 2:

Individuals who are 21 and older will no longer be punished for using marijuana responsibly in the privacy of their home.
The measure allows adults to possess up to one ounce of cannabis, up to four grams of cannabis concentrate, and up to 500 milligrams of cannabis in an infused product. Adults may also cultivate up to three cannabis plants in a secure, enclosed location on their property.

Commonsense restrictions will be enforced. Public consumption of marijuana will not be allowed; driving under the influence will remain illegal; and individuals who give marijuana to minors will be punished.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a yes from me. I've watched alcohol and opiates ruin lives, not so much from cannabis. I work with recovering heroine addicts weekly and the only gateway drug I've seen for that is prescription opiates. The only real negative to cannabis use (besides the obvious of being under control of a vehicle while high) is the heat from smoking isn't good for lung tissue. The rest of the negative things being spread before voting day haven't been substantiated by any data, it's scare tactics and embellishment. IMO adults should be able to make the decision if they choose to or not to use it. The way it seems, commercializing cannabis is going to be the best way to make sure it is safe and consistent. I think it's time.
This is from someone who was very against cannabis for a majority of my life because I was told to be. Once I did some research for myself, my opinion changed.

This is why I love America. Let the people vote.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At my age they can do what ever they want cause they are the one. that will have to live with their choice. LB

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say no to recreational MJ, but yes to medicinal. Why are we voting on this AGAIN?

It's this way, when certain groups demand their way. Bring it up to vote? Sure. Vote it down? Sure. End of story. Except it's not, because it's brought back up every couple of years.

Anyhow, it doesn't affect me much.

I will say this: Colorado in general, and Denver in particular, have not benefitted from legalizing drugs, other than perhaps less public money is spent chasing and jailing users. I think the society in CO has declined. To be fair, I doubt that 100% of the decline can be blamed on MJ.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say no to recreational MJ, but yes to medicinal. Why are we voting on this AGAIN?

Because the patients who voted in favor of medical didn't end up with anything close to what they voted for. If recreational passes, you can thank the rinos that changed the intent of that measure.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I vote no. There are enough wacked out motherfuckers on the road!
The people who are going to break the law don't care if things are legal or not. Voting no doesn't stop criminals from doing criminal activity. What it does is take away the ability for someone who enjoys hunting or owning firearms to sleep at night or manage chronic anxiety without taking medication that has worse side effects than the original problem. I've never heard of people who use cannabis going crazy and killing someone, but there are numerous cases of people on antidepressants committing acts of violence.

I hate making the comparison to this and gun control, but how much do we say that criminals don't care if theres a gun free zone or not. Felons aren't allowed to own firearms, yet still get them. Gun control punishes good, responsible law abiding citizens, while the criminals do the thing that people were worried about in the first place.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't fall for the way it's worded on the bill . The rinos said it was impossible to estimate the tax revenue so they left that out.

The estimated fiscal impact of this measure beginning in 2023 through the 2025-2027 Biennium is Revenue of $3,145,000 and Expenses of $4,985,000.
YES – means you approve the measure summarized above.
NO – means you reject the measure summarized above.[8]

I have no idea how close they are but the organizers of the measure claim.

Montana legalized cannabis in 2020 and is on pace to generate nearly $600 million in revenue for the biennium (2 year budget). They are just getting started. Montana is closest in population to North Dakota with roughly 29% more people. If you adjust for population (29% less people) and use a similar 20% tax rate, North Dakota should be a $425 million dollar biennial industry and generate nearly $85 million in tax revenue for the biennium. For reference, the Prairie Dog Fund is roughly $250 million. Obviously this is ballpark math but we think it's a reasonable conservative estimate. Also a $200+ million dollar annual industry would rank in the top 20 for the state. Initially, only sales tax will apply but the legislature will be in charge of adding any additional taxes, like they proposed in 2021. What if we used this revenue to reduce taxes?

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lets do this again, Im curious how it will turn out compared to the last poll and upcoming election results.
How are you going to vote on Measure 2, this legalizes cannabis in ND.

Under Measure 2:

Individuals who are 21 and older will no longer be punished for using marijuana responsibly in the privacy of their home.
The measure allows adults to possess up to one ounce of cannabis, up to four grams of cannabis concentrate, and up to 500 milligrams of cannabis in an infused product. Adults may also cultivate up to three cannabis plants in a secure, enclosed location on their property.

Commonsense restrictions will be enforced. Public consumption of marijuana will not be allowed; driving under the influence will remain illegal; and individuals who give marijuana to minors will be punished.
Please define "responsibly"

What a poor choice of words. IMO

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Hard pass from me. My wife and I lived in Denver for four years, worked with a great homeless ministry, and have seen the negative effects of legalized marijuana.
I always say, marijuana use may not make people homeless, but it certainly keeps people homeless.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Them granola eaters were in a decline long before MJ was legalized there lol I doubt if they legalized it there or not, it would be much different today..
I want to say at least 50% of homeless people I met in Colorado said they moved there because of weed. Does that mean the same would happen in ND? Not necessarily, but it is very evident that it has changed CO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88