Mega360 or Mega Live

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every year I try to add an electronics item to my rig. My boat is networked with humminbird electronics.

While they have different applications, Mega 360 and Mega Live are my buying options this year and I'm trying to decide between which to choose. I only fish for walleyes and salmon (Missouri, Sakakawea, and small lakes).

For those that have them or have used them, which is more useful for walleyes in ND? I don't ice fish much so would have no use in that regard.

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tough to beat the combo of side imaging and forward facing technology. That being said, I have a sneaking suspicion that 'Bird ends up coming out with a Mega Live 2.0. They are clearly in 3rd place, in the forward facing tech race, and I cannot see them being okay with that. I could be wrong.

They are the only ones who do 360, so I think the safe bet is that. For those that do not want to babysit a sonar pole all day, it might be the right answer, regardless.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I would recommend holding off on Mega Live, as MicLee stated they are currently in 3rd place. They have yet to come out with a "Version 2". I'm planning on getting the upgraded version when it comes unless I stumble on a good deal for a used original version.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The other concern I have in regards to both, is the humminbird/MinnKota piece. Will they will come out with a trolling motor that is "all in one" with some sort of gimbal type unit for sonar control that is independent of the trolling unit's steering. Such a unit could have side, live and 360 combined?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know after about 3 weeks from your purchase, there will be something better. Just how it happens.

Gr8tz

Established Member
I was in the same position at the beginning of ice fishing season this year and decided that I would purchase forward facing sonar and sense I had bird products in my boat I would go with Mega Live. Right from the get go I was having issues with it not recognizing the transducer and wouldn't until the unit warmed up for five or so minutes and after that it would glitch every couple minutes. the other issue i was having is the transducer has water sensors on it and in cold temps those sensors would freeze and say Mega Live out of water. I was fine dealing with those issues but after a month and a half of use the ethernet cable from the transduce split and frayed and had to be sent in for a replacement and was just fed up with it. I talked with one of the main fishing guys at Scheels and he was not surprised and and was able to get it returned for me and got me set up with Garmin. With all that being said I'm sure it would be a different story if it is only being used in the boat, and I understand wanting to stay with one brand of graph but like the others have said Hummingbird is the inferior brand in the forward facing sonar market.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say live sonar on a pole you can rotate is way more effective than a 360 unit. Once you locate fish you can video game jig them. Can't do that with 360. Also, Garmin has the best unit by far over Lowrance and 'bird.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Old school here I guess...don't believe I will purchase any of the "live" sonar options at this time. Good mapping, 2D sonar, side and down imaging...good enough for me. I fish for fun - not to pay the bills!

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just add a garmin to the boat and go with live scope, one time purchase. There are a million mega live units for sale on Facebook which means they suck. I would get the Mega 360 way before mega live

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every year I try to add an electronics item to my rig. My boat is networked with humminbird electronics.

While they have different applications, Mega 360 and Mega Live are my buying options this year and I'm trying to decide between which to choose. I only fish for walleyes and salmon (Missouri, Sakakawea, and small lakes).

For those that have them or have used them, which is more useful for walleyes in ND? I don't ice fish much so would have no use in that regard.
My boat also has birds in it, The plan is to run a garmin ice unit with live scope for a few reasons, I can move the unit from the front to back of the boat easily, don’t have to worry about draining my battery in my or adding another battery and wiring to the boat. Live imaging uses a lot of juice from what I have read. And bonus Is I get to keep my bird units set up how I want them

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boat also has birds in it, The plan is to run a garmin ice unit with live scope for a few reasons, I can move the unit from the front to back of the boat easily, don’t have to worry about draining my battery in my or adding another battery and wiring to the boat. Live imaging uses a lot of juice from what I have read. And bonus Is I get to keep my bird units set up how I want them
This is my #2 option. It just seems like one more thing to trip over, step on, or set-up when a guys is in the boat though. Good point on the 360 before Live in previous post.

I think for us Bird guys the answer may be to wait this out. Like @Weekender said, they can't enjoy being in 3rd place, so something has to be in the works at Humminbird.

YCbtx

My 2cents based on experience:

Have been in boat with both the garmin 32 & 34, as well as, the 360 unit. 360 was great for spring jig pitching, but so was perspective view on the garmin unit (all on Sak). Had the chance to compare them together for 4 days of prefishing the gov cup. My buddy had the 360 installed in his boat and I brought my ice set up with the brew city mount and used in the bow. After 4 days of prefishing and 2 days of the tourney, my buddy posted his 360 on bisman the Monday after the tourney and ordered a garmin set-up....that pretty much sums it up. As far as the 32 vs the 34 transducer....dont really see much of a benefit to the 34 for late june thru August walleye fishing but my opinion may change this spring with shallow forward and perspective view. However, the 34 ducer was amazing for 80+ft laker fishing on Fort Peck in August.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just bought a Garmin with livescope...I was told to run it off a separate battery because of how much draw it will use. Anyone with thoughts on this? Currently my starting battery also runs every other electronic device on the boat (livewell, two birds, lights, phone charger, etc.) besides my trolling motor. Was thinking a separate battery might not be a bad idea anyway just to relieve use on the starting battery.

Not trying to hijack the original thread, but if any of you have tips/tricks on installing the unit I would appreciate any advice. You can PM me if you want.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the Humminbird 360 NON-MEGA as something to hold onto when I pee or dookee off the boat. If you want to try the regular NON-MEGA you are more than welcome to drive up and have it off my boat. It's free if you want it. I will miss it as a wee or poo holder though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84