Minnesota brain worms

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
We lost a bunch of moose during the late 90's in Pembina county due to them. I called the game warden a few times. Would come across moose paralyzed and dying while riding snowcats.
That pretty much wiped them out from the gorge area in the late 90s. That’s about when they started moving west onto the prairie.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Even came across two young bull moose down here with the circle worm. Couple years apart, reported it to the local game warden and he put them down, sad thing. LB

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even came across two young bull moose down here with the circle worm. Couple years apart, reported it to the local game warden and he put them down, sad thing. LB
If I remember correctly right at the end of their life they would spin in circles for hours until they died of exhaustion of someone happened upon them and put them out of their misery. What a shitty way to go. I also remember how they got infested with ticks in the gorge and would just be covered in them and rub all their fur off. Looked like mange and I suppose a lot of them froze to death too. Haven’t spent a lot of time up in those parts for awhile now but I can’t imagine you see a lot of moose in the gorge anymore. Once the “moose capital” of ND. But I hear the elk and black bears are doing well up there.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hopefully all the moose get around here, worthless swamp donkeys

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I remember correctly right at the end of their life they would spin in circles for hours until they died of exhaustion of someone happened upon them and put them out of their misery. What a shitty way to go. I also remember how they got infested with ticks in the gorge and would just be covered in them and rub all their fur off. Looked like mange and I suppose a lot of them froze to death too. Haven’t spent a lot of time up in those parts for awhile now but I can’t imagine you see a lot of moose in the gorge anymore. Once the “moose capital” of ND. But I hear the elk and black bears are doing well up there.
Before brain worm, we'd see moose almost as often as deer. We get all sorts of critters from the gorge. When the corn starts to tassel, elk move out of the gorge into the corn and stay there until the combine goes through. A few years ago, a black bear was hit by a beet truck a few miles south and east of the St. Thomas piler. Mid 90's i was following the Old Man in the pickup (he was leading in the spray-coupe) and a mountain lion ran across the road between us. It disappeared in the waist high wheat. People called my bluff for years until the 00's when mountain lion season opened.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here in northern mn,ticks take a toll of our local moose population all year,including winter months,dnr claims moose bed down in pine tree stands where "winter ticks" are active ( i never knew) these ticks carry a variety of nasty often deadly bacteria that kills off #'s of moose,add in timber wolves, our moose #'s are dropping big time,

Oh plus we get to deal witha Wisconsin native tribe to come to mn to harvest moose year around as they killed off the moose population in western wisc northern district,this sucks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46