Monster Whitetail Taken in North Dakota

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know what the ND state record Non-typical scored or what this one does, but could this be close to it? or potentially the new one?

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
brokenback

My grandfather homestead in the late 1800 and as I understand the whitetail deer was going the way of the buffalo. One can read some newspaper articles from back in 1900 and find they were fighting over stopping the killing here in ND. It was the people in the eastern part of the state paying all the taxes trying to hunt in the western part of the state. By 1916 it was against the law to kill a whitetail. Then in 1931 some kind of hunting was allow with 1941 licenses again being issue (again as I understand). There were estimated to be 5-8000 deer at the time mostly in the turtle mt or pemiba area.

My father was born in 1911 and started hunting whitetails in the 40s. Did hunt in the turtle mt once. There is one rack at home with a 1946 tag on it. But he stated to me many years ago the lack of bullets during the war years is when deer came to be back home.
Soil bank in the fifties brought deer to the farm and they started to winter at the farm. Every Saturday and Sunday after chores he had a 59 chevy and we would find that herd of about 12 deer with one buck.
Then as you stated, sunflowers came in the 70 and we began having a fair number of deer. Willow rack was a common name.

As I think about my grandfathers and fathers experience in the world of whitetail as it is today I guess what I would say it has sure changed and the youth of today have no ideal what it was like at one time (it appears some things have not changed). My dad never hunted deer (at least legally) until he was well into his 30s and horns meant nothing.

This deer is an example as to how it has changed. I started in 59 by getting a license Friday morning at coast to coast. Shot at a box Friday morning and then hope you seen one to shoot at during the season.

Bullets, 22HP, 22 Hornet, 25-20, a bunch of 30-30 94s, a few VFW or legion 30-06, 220 swift and list goes on of a bullets no one would think of using today or for that matter a lever action rifle. The Jordan buck by a 25-20 in a model 92. Have one and would like to harvest a deer with it but I guess I would need to apply for a tag which I doubt will happen.

Did shoot a net 168 deer a few years ago with a bow that had come to see me for the third year. No one but family knew then one day a friend enter it into a show under his name and won a trophy, first place and his name in the paper. A few years after that I finally took it to my office and display it with other deer. To this day no one has said anything to me about that 5x5. And I was worry that I would be treated like your son. na old news.

But I have enjoy your comments and do wish you well going forward. db

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember the American Legion renting out old army rifles for $5.00 for the season.
Thanks for reminding me of that DB those were good times, no deer but good times.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know what the ND state record Non-typical scored or what this one does, but could this be close to it? or potentially the new one?
I don't know what it is either but I'd have a hard time believing this wouldn't give it a run for it's money.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cant find the pic but ND record is 254 6/8". Taken by Rodger Ritchie in Mountrail County in 1968 and currently ranks 67th in B&C Non-Typical Entries

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84