Mosquito control

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
As predicted, all the rain a few weeks ago created a butt-load of mosquitos in the Fargo area.
I'm getting killed out there, even in the middle of the day. It doesn't help that I have standing water in the ditches on 3 sides of my place.

I have a Skeeter Defeater:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F5BN0G/?tag=nodakangler10-20

But it's hard to tell how much good it does, and I can't cover much of my 2 acre lot with it.

I'm looking for any suggestions and product experiences for killing existing and preventing new mosquitoes.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too live outside Fargo and am considering investing in "commercial quality" fogger. Not the little green Menards piece of crap that knocks them down for a couple hours. I want some latency like when the county sprays.

I wonder if a guy can buy what's needed without being licensed/trained?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too live outside Fargo and am considering investing in "commercial quality" fogger. Not the little green Menards piece of crap that knocks them down for a couple hours. I want some latency like when the county sprays.

Not sure about the machine, but you might have difficulty getting ahold of the pesticide if it's restricted use. You might have a "guy" for that though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hush now KW - you don't want Pesticide Man to come down on this thread

SuperheromanBubbleFinal.jpg

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Cutter brand Backyard doesn't do too bad of a job for a couple months during the summer. Hook it up to your garden hose and spray around the firepit/patio. Had a family reunion over the July 4th holiday a couple years ago and not one person ended up with the skeeter torment.

I just bought another larger bottle and it says it lasts 'up to' 12wks. Hell, I'd be happy if it could do it for just another ten weeks!! lol

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

Leave it to gaywhofishes to go all commercial on this...

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just grabbed a jug of malathion concentrate from the walmart, mixed it in a pump sprayer and sprayed the lawn and lilacs and it usually keeps them thinned out.

brotherfunk48

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a mosquito magnet, man does that work great. Runs off of a 20lb grill cylinder, last about a month on a tank. The one I have handles about a acre. I check it every morning and it's full. It also take care of the noseems and horse flies. it takes about 3 weeks to a month to notice a difference.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ole air force bombed the mosquitos here last week.....that plane is quit big..flew over our shop a few times!Thumbs Up

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leave it to gaywhofishes to go all commercial on this...

dude - it would be worth a couple grand to me to be able to go outside and hang out on occasion

when they are bad at my house it might as well be winter - only go outside for chores - then dash back in yelling naughty words

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tempo 2 is the best I've ever found... kinda spendy but if you have an average sized yard 1 small jug will last for a couple years. Definitely the best I've ever used for all types of bugs.... skeeters, spiders, ants, boxelder bugs, etc.... they all die. and as long as you don't get torrential downpours for multiple days in a row, 1 spraying will usually last 2-3 weeks or longer if you don't get much rain

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have mosquitos bites and poison ivy sores allover... Look away i'm hideous!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ole air force bombed the mosquitos here last week.....that plane is quit big..flew over our shop a few times!Thumbs Up

I was on that bird and I never saw you wave ONCE! I think I'm going to take my plane and go home. :(

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mosquito 86

The Mosquito 86 System that I tested recently is my weapon of choice against these disease-carrying blood suckers. It uses a solution known as Agent E that you mix with water and carry in a small tank as a backpack. The delivery system channels the solution in the tank through clear tubing to the tube attachment on the end of a leaf blower. Turn on the blower, move a little switch, and you're in business.
You are probably thinking that this sounds as if it works like a fogger. Not so. By making use of the strong force of air that comes out of the blower, the solution is dispersed in a controlled spray and you can direct it very accurately just where you want it. This is helpful in a couple of waysThere is no airborne mist for you to breathe in.
Better accuracy allows you to put the agent just where you want it and not where you don't.
The Mosquito 86 system can be purchased in several different models. If you already own a leaf blower, you can purchase the attachment that fits over 50 different leaf and lawn blowers. If you don't own a leaf blower, you can purchase a unit that contains both the blower and the appropriate attachment, either in electric or gas-powered models.
I tested the electric model, which I chose because they are generally lighter in weight. There is that matter of the electrical cord (not included), but for the areas where I will be using it, there are outlets within reach, using a 50-foot cord. We spend most of our leisure time in the area adjacent to the house, either on the patio, the deck, or the front porch. The unit itself weighs 6.6 pounds and comes with a two-year warranty.
The solution is provided in a concentrate and you mix it with water in the backpack tank. The active ingredient is permethrin* and it is effective not only on mosquitoes, but also ants, biting flies, fleas, and ticks. It is safe for use around pets and children, once the solution has dried. One application lasts a week and is recommended that you reapply it after a rain. It also kills bees if you spray it directly on them, it is advised that you don't apply it while they are actively feeding. Mosquitoes are generally most active at dusk and later, so that's the ideal time to apply.
Since permethrin* is toxic to cats, this is my only concern, although slight, because as you know, we have several of them here at Our Little Acre. But it's easy enough to keep them in until the spraying is done and dry. The concentration used with the Mosquito 86 system is not at a level known to be harmful to cats or other animals. As with any chemical, care must be taken to use it as directed and with respect, to avoid adverse effects.
I was pretty pleased with my Mosquito 86 and think it's an innovative idea for applying a mosquito-killing agent. As one who seemingly attracts these biting buggers, I now have an effective and easy method of keeping them away from our favorite yard hangouts. With West Nile Virus being reported in our area, mosquitoes do present a very real risk, so I welcome a control product such as this.

Read more: http://ourlittleacre.blogspot.com/2008/10/mosquitoes-are-back-and-ive-got-just.html#ixzz3ccWixTxO

mosquito86_a-1.jpg

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tempo 2 is the best I've ever found... kinda spendy but if you have an average sized yard 1 small jug will last for a couple years. Definitely the best I've ever used for all types of bugs.... skeeters, spiders, ants, boxelder bugs, etc.... they all die. and as long as you don't get torrential downpours for multiple days in a row, 1 spraying will usually last 2-3 weeks or longer if you don't get much rain

I was gonna say the same thing. I know tempo kills them. Gets a little spendy if I spray my 5 acre yard though. I think I'm going to walk around and hit the lilacs, grass in a 50 yard radius of the house and sitting water and see if it makes a difference.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74