ND deer opener

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
luvcatchingbass, nice pics. but, you should have shot em all.

I hate squirrels and that one was driving me crazy. Saw 2 yotes that sit and about the time I put the cross hairs on one of them I had a really nice buck moving my way in the back round but he never got to where I could get a shot, the pheasant was actually chased into the tree by one of the coyotes. With last years nice weather I just wasn't in a hurry to fill my tag fast.
Planning on giving the 7mm rem mag the nod for season over the 6.5-284 this year, been about 4yrs since I used the 7mm.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gee, I got a new nickname.....lol.......its all good kurtr, Brokenback pretty much gave the best answer, it was our state lawmakers that put that forth for whaterver reason.

NObody calls me Francis.

"Relax Francis".

I think from the movie Stripes? Funny show. Francis... heh heh.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may jump in here with a question. If a guy or party of rifle hunters sees a bowhunter sit in a tree stand or blind, do you leave him be or push the woods or what? The last 3 years I have been sitting in my stand and guys start pushing where I am sitting. If they didn't see me so be it. Just wanted to see the consensus. Public land by the way.

I would treat you like a guy sitting on a hill with a rifle - or in a tree with a rifle or the guy in his truck waiting for me to kick one out for em. . I am going to be far enough away from you that i cant see what type of weapon you have. I will push deer away from you so you dont get a shot - similiar to a guy sitting on hill/a truck that stops on the road etc. As soon as i see you i will analyze the terrain and pick a stalk that will not push a deer out in between us or towards you (that may include back tracking). I have had enough stationary hunters shoot down at me when deer jumps up 20 ft in front of me-- learned that lesson early.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh MY! I mis-read that. Thought you were topless. Things spiraled downward from there...

hqdefault.jpg

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Noon start gives a guy plenty of time to sleep off the night before and have some "hair of the dog" before jumping in the truck to drive around. Be a lot of that on Friday with the 20-30mph wind forecast...

Good luck to all that were fortunate enough to draw a tag, stay safe.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
So whats the story behind starting at noon on fridays?

My dad said when he was young, there were no units, the season opened at sunrise and you could hunt wherever you wanted. He said hunters all piled into the best areas and it was a huge shitshow the first morning so they moved the opener to noon. That probably wasn't the only reason but part of it.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad said when he was young, there were no units, the season opened at sunrise and you could hunt wherever you wanted. He said hunters all piled into the best areas and it was a huge shitshow the first morning so they moved the opener to noon. That probably wasn't the only reason but part of it.

is your dad guywhoseoldandfishes ... and was the year 1892 ?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may jump in here with a question. If a guy or party of rifle hunters sees a bowhunter sit in a tree stand or blind, do you leave him be or push the woods or what? The last 3 years I have been sitting in my stand and guys start pushing where I am sitting. If they didn't see me so be it. Just wanted to see the consensus. Public land by the way.

As someone who bow hunts and rifle hunts ill give my input. Rifle season is only 15 days and some of these guys wait years to pull a buck tag. You cant expect them to not hunt entire pieces of public land just because you are bow hunting. Personally i don't bow hunt much if ever during rifle season, there is plenty of other time to bow hunt uninterrupted.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
As someone who bow hunts and rifle hunts ill give my input. Rifle season is only 15 days and some of these guys wait years to pull a buck tag. You cant expect them to not hunt entire pieces of public land just because you are bow hunting. Personally i don't bow hunt much if ever during rifle season, there is plenty of other time to bow hunt uninterrupted.

while I get what you are trying to say...why does one hunter have more of a right over the other hunter? because one has a stick and string? because one has waited longer than another?

I mean Mr. Bowhunter has put in his time and watched deer all season and feels good about the spot he got up early for and has been sitting in...but because Mr. Rifle hasn't shot a gun in 5 years that gives him the right to go tramping through Mr. Bowhunter's space?

I don't really think it's a right or wrong but more of a common courtesy ... if you want to be an asshat and wreck someone's hunt then by all means be an asshat...but why be an asshat?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flatrock, that's YOUR opinion. Everyone has a different reason for hunting. For me... it's about that split second moment before to shot, the ability to bring home some meat... and provide in a unique way.... to prove to myself that I can hold it down, without all these fricken gizmos that people use these days. it's me and a rifle. period.

Agreed. You missed my point though. If spending time with friends and family and getting into the outdoors was so important, guys would get doe tags every year instead of waiting forever and ever to get a muley buck tag.

I don't want to hijack the thread though so carry on everybody and have a great deer season.

- - - Updated - - -

is your dad guywhoseoldandfishes ... and was the year 1892 ?

Haha. No and no.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah, deer season. Where everyone argues every aspect of something most of us claim to enjoy. I just love this time of the year.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone, please be sure to put your orange hats on the dashboard as you are roadhunting. Thanks!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been rifle hunting and sitting still in the woods and had people smoking cigs march past me without even looking me in the eye. Public is public, and some folks just don't give a damn.

What I've found is that these seldom wreck the hunt. I can't even count how many times I've seen deer literally minutes after a drive has occurred. Those deer think they're being sneaky by circling back through the woods after the other people have walked past.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Bow hunting on public land during rifle season, while perfectly fine and legal, seems like a rather vacuous practice.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
while I get what you are trying to say...why does one hunter have more of a right over the other hunter? because one has a stick and string? because one has waited longer than another?

I mean Mr. Bowhunter has put in his time and watched deer all season and feels good about the spot he got up early for and has been sitting in...but because Mr. Rifle hasn't shot a gun in 5 years that gives him the right to go tramping through Mr. Bowhunter's space?

I don't really think it's a right or wrong but more of a common courtesy ... if you want to be an asshat and wreck someone's hunt then by all means be an asshat...but why be an asshat?

Nobody has more right, that's the thing, everybody has the same right to be there.. So if you bow hunt on public land during rifle season, you shouldn't be surprised when you end up dealing with rifle hunters on the same land. I would say most of the time they haven't even seen you until its to late. I prefer not to sit when people are flinging lead around and may or may not see me.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11