Nd dmv

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Note, I recently learned that there are now kiosk style machines at several places in the state. One happens to be at the truck stop here in Bismarck. I have not used one yet but a couple friends mentioned that they had used them with no problems.

Last edited:

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack the thread but in Minnesociala they have some sort of law that a one ton truck is way less expensive to license than a 3/4 ton. Any one of you scholars know why?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
my last two trips to DMV made me feel like I was in a four star hotel

not kidding. efficient. friendly. polite.

I’m still wondering if it was a dream.

This for me too. Last week the wife and I made an appointment to renew our DL and get the Real ID endorsement. We literally were in and out in less than 20 minutes...I was shocked...and thanked our rep profusely!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nobody here in ND knows DMV Hell until you need to go to a DMV in California. It will take you 3+ hours to register a new-to-you car or go in to renew your drivers license in person like I had do a few years ago! I wore glasses/contacts since grade school. I had cataract surgery on both eyes and then had 20:20 vision. I passed the vision test, took the written test (I needed to renew my license and was over 70) and finally after 3 hours left with my temp license. When my new license came it showed I was still restricted to corrective vision. I went back and complained that I had passed the vision test. Guess what ... they let me go thru the whole same process (except the written test) to get the license corrected. Took over 2 hours.

I subscribed to AAA when we retired and started driving from San Jose to Metigoshe in 2008. For most other DMV needs I can go to AAA and get everything else done. Just walk in, see an AAA agent and walk out. Just not a drivers license renewal for a person over 70.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack the thread but in Minnesociala they have some sort of law that a one ton truck is way less expensive to license than a 3/4 ton. Any one of you scholars know why?

The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is if applies only to one ton with dual rear wheels that are easier on the highways . That's what I tried to get licensed online. If I remember right it was $ 140.00 last time or close to that.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember years ago being told by a Blue Plater that one tons were cheaper to license in Minny than a 3/4 ton or less. Can't remember why.

bilbo

Honored Member
I hate how a public servant makes me feel like I am bothering them, and even with 10X's more ass kissing than I would ever give anyone else they seem so put off by me even being there.
Must be in their training manual, as they all seem to act this way

To be fair, they put up with a lot of idiocy. Last time I was in there I had to wait a while and people watched for a bit. One guy had an issue with the title from when he bought his car from a dealer recently. She asked him for the paperwork he did have and he told her it's in the car, in the parking lot. Then lost it when she said she wouldn't wait for him to get it and he'd have to get in line again.

There was someone arguing about having to back-pay for that year's registration when he was selling his vehicle. What did he expect the clerk to be able to do as far as bending the rules?

hogslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I worked out in California for a little over a year and the California Highway Patrol made me get a California drivers license since I was heavy hauling out there. I went to the DMV right when they opened to take my test. I walked in and there was not a single person in the whole place other than the employees sitting there bullshitting with each other. I walked up to the counter and they ignored me and acted like I wasn't even there. After a minute I said hey can I get some help here and was told I need to take a number. I looked around and said but there's no one in here and they said it doesn't matter you need to take a number. They made me sit there for over 20 minutes while they finished their conversation about what they did over the weekend and one of them finally called my number and helped me.

As a division director of a state agency I tend to get upset when people bash state employees because there is a lot of very hard working and helpful people working for state government. That being said if I managed any of the people at the DMV here in Bismarck I would fire every one of them. If any one of my employees treated people the way that the DMV people do they would be on the unemployment line. I've never had a good experience there and usually leave in a rage every time. I understand why people get upset and bash state employees sometimes. Just know they're not all bad.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33