ND PSC Denies Summit pipeline

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really don’t understand why there are opponents to this pipeline. Eventually nearly all rural/semi rural people will have a pipeline in or close to their back yard. I have two in my back yard/on my property. Not an issue. A saltwater or oil pipeline could concern people but I can fathom a co2 pipeline would. Unless I’m missing something
I wouldn’t want a natural gas pipeline in my backyard because they go boom when they fail. I also wouldn’t want a co2 line because when they fail they send a silent cloud of gas into you home to suffocate you. I’d take an oil or salt water pipeline everyday because when those fail that landowner is getting rich!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be nice if people would educate themselves and do some research before spouting off about how great CO2 is and how safe it is to run a 24" high pressure (over 2100psi) pipeline within 7 miles and upwind from a high consequence area with 100K + population. Seems some people are either greedy or just ignorant!
This line isn’t going to be a high pressure supercritical phase co2 but yes the lower pressure lines can be as unsafe.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
My family and I are landowners in the path of the proposed pipeline. Here are some of the facts surrounding the pipeline.

- they want a 99 year easement.
-payments to landowners are a 1 time thing. It is NOT an annual payment to landowners. Payments are substantial but not life changing.
-there must be a minimum of 4ft of dirt on top of the 24” pipeline.
-the easement is for the movement of CO2 only. If they ever want to change products, they must re-negotiate easements with landowners.
-we have been told that the CO2 will be sequestered in the ground and not used for anything else. However, many of us personally feel that is not the full truth.
-many landowners aren’t in favor of this “green” project but also feel we are going to be forced into this one way or the other. There is too much money invested into this by too many powerful ppl for it to be stopped.

*last I heard ND was about 60-70% signed up
Those are some pretty typical terms for a pipeline easement. They are right about the CO2 being sequestered. They can’t use it for EOR or other uses to get the carbon credit and it all has to be sequestered. If I were you I would be asking questions about safety of the line.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wrong. High pressure co2 is new and proven to be very dangerous
No there are many high pressure CO2 lines already and most of them ship it in the supercritical phase which requires that 2000 psi pressure. Most of these new co2 lines from ethanol plants is going to be lower pressure lines . There are 2 co2 lines in ND already!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was summits argument and only argument. The people had to explain that we want and need natural gas. What the hell do we need co2 to be pumped in the ground for????
So the ethanol plants can capture their co2 emissions and lower they carbon footprint so they can keep the ethanol industry alive which also keeps the corn prices artificially high. Farmers against this better not care about low corn prices once ethanol plant start to close.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn’t want a natural gas pipeline in my backyard because they go boom when they fail. I also wouldn’t want a co2 line because when they fail they send a silent cloud of gas into you home to suffocate you. I’d take an oil or salt water pipeline everyday because when those fail that landowner is getting rich!

Just to be clear, probably 100,000,000 Americans are currently sitting with a natural gas or propane line in their yard.

I am one of them.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
For something like this, capitalism should play out. If they reach a price point that landowners agree to and they still find the project feasible, great. But this isn’t such a necessary piece of infrastructure that eminent domain should be applied. Just my opinion.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
This line isn’t going to be a high pressure supercritical phase co2 but yes the lower pressure lines can be as unsafe.
Yes, it is going to be a high pressure super critical pipeline, I have been to all of the meetings and it will be. Watch the video

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two issues with it:

1.) Ethanol is bullshit. And they want a subsidized dumping ground to better market their product as environmentally friendly.
2.) I have alot of doubt they will achieve the desired objective of locking this CO2 away "forever"....ya right. It will leach out. Its like city recycling...makes ya feel good but end result doesnt do shit for the environment.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know from my standpoint I never had an issue with pipelines and didn't have much of an issue with this pipeline other than the people pushing it through have seemed to go about it in the wrong ways by being pushy towards landowners and maybe not doing the best job of raising support for it or having a decent plan. Although after last year planting trees I want nothing to do with any easements or utilities under my land ever again. I have a natural gas pipeline running through my pasture and it limits what I can do with the land. It doesn't run straight so it really makes for a pain. They don't bother me in my yard because that is minimal trees and other limitations as they are usually ran along the edge and easements are pretty small.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both natural gas and sw pipelines across my place. I can’t imagine there being enough co2 escaping to cause anything like what you mentioned. The safeguards in place would prevent anything of a serious nature from happening I believe. I’m totally neutral on it at this point. From what I understand the surface owner will benefit from its storage and not the mineral rights holders since they’re not extracting minerals. Which would be a good thing.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I hate john hoeven and burgum and any other politicians trying to enrich themselves off of the tax payers through this scam. I hate liberal Republicans

I bet the vacuum salesmen loves knocking on your door
I hate liberal republicans myself. That’s why I’m an independent 🤣

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It used to be someone would come up with a product or service as a business idea. If it was a good idea they would make money. Bad idea it would fail.

Now they just come up with bad ideas and fund it through the government.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
So the ethanol plants can capture their co2 emissions and lower they carbon footprint so they can keep the ethanol industry alive which also keeps the corn prices artificially high. Farmers against this better not care about low corn prices once ethanol plant start to close.
It's all smoke and mirrors, everything green from ethanol to wind towers to solar farms to electric cars to banning fossils fuels to capturing CO2 is a gigantic communist plot to destroy the American economy and to destroy America. Not one of these schemes would ever happen without government subsidies but many politicians go along with it because they are corrupt also!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88