ND PSC Denies Summit pipeline

FlatTopPete

Established Member
If they inject it here in ND are you opposed to it being later removed and used for something it can be used for

Not necessarily. Unless it would be for something that would be super detrimental to us as landowners or the ag industry we wouldn’t really oppose it.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For something like this, capitalism should play out. If they reach a price point that landowners agree to and they still find the project feasible, great. But this isn’t such a necessary piece of infrastructure that eminent domain should be applied. Just my opinion.
Not disagreeing but chuckled at the mention of capitalism in this discussion. If only free market capitalism were allowed to play out, this pipeline would not be proposed and the ethanol plants would not exist.

None of this would exist without legislation and taxation.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I really don’t understand why there are opponents to this pipeline. Eventually nearly all rural/semi rural people will have a pipeline in or close to their back yard. I have two in my back yard/on my property. Not an issue. A saltwater or oil pipeline could concern people but I can fathom a co2 pipeline would. Unless I’m missing something
You must have been confused when said you couldn't understand why there are any opponents to this pipeline

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both natural gas and sw pipelines across my place. I can’t imagine there being enough co2 escaping to cause anything like what you mentioned. The safeguards in place would prevent anything of a serious nature from happening I believe. I’m totally neutral on it at this point. From what I understand the surface owner will benefit from its storage and not the mineral rights holders since they’re not extracting minerals. Which would be a good thing.
Except when you have a pipeline like the one that failed in Satartia, MS. Look it up, they are not exaggerating. You don’t want to be near it if it fails. The clouds of CO2 can be deadly especially when the public doesn’t know there are there or cannot detect that one has failed. Denbury isn’t the best company so maybe it depends on the company but I wouldn’t want one in my backyard. I’d take an oil line all day. Funny thing about the PSC denying it is they approved the one in Bowman area( also owned by denbury) and the one that starts in Beulah.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, it is going to be a high pressure super critical pipeline, I have been to all of the meetings and it will be. Watch the video
I must confused then with the one in Iowa. That one has has some very high profile meetings too. That one won’t be fully supercritical like the ones used for EOR like in MS.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to be clear, probably 100,000,000 Americans are currently sitting with a natural gas or propane line in their yard.

I am one of them.
Big difference between natural gas distribution lines and natural gas transmission lines. Big difference in volume and pressure. Big difference in risk.

Let me clarify I wouldn’t live by a natural gas transmission line!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not necessarily. Unless it would be for something that would be super detrimental to us as landowners or the ag industry we wouldn’t really oppose it.
We these co2 lines are going to save the ethanol industry. Ethanol keeps corn prices high so I guess that benefits most farmers. Hard to see the ag industry being against these pipelines.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I still don’t see why there is. I don’t see any real concern with it at this point
You want to heat your home? Buy paint or lumber to improve your home? Pay the carbon man.

Own an outboard motor? Pull your boat with a pickup? Buy fishing equipment containing plastic or lead? Pay the carbon man.

Fly on an airplane? Take an Uber? Pay the carbon man.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still don’t see why there is. I don’t see any real concern with it at this point
I'll say that I didn't at first either... CO2, so what? It's part of the air we breathe... but when you look into it, especially from a conservative mindset, there are several major problems.

1. The whole "carbon credit" idea is utter horseshit. -- You can keep polluting all you want, just as long as you do something to "offset" your pollution. -- Except for how it doesn't offset shit. It's a made up solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

2. None of this is viable without government subsidies, ie: your tax dollars. A truly "free market" would decide if this is viable or not. Just like wind, solar, etc. If it's so f-ing great, it would produce something of value at a cost the market agrees with, without subsidies.

3. Using "eminent domain" to stomp on landowner rights. -- Moving your CO2 from one place to another does not benefit the general public. It just lines the pockets of corporations and bureaucrats. -- If they can do this, what's stopping them from forcing you to allow a wind turbine, a homeless shelter, (or anything really) in your backyard?

4. There is a safety aspect. A sudden cloud of nearly 100% CO2 would kill you pretty quickly. The "kill zone" would be determined by CO2 volume, wind speed and direction, and dispersion rate, but killing hundreds is not out of the question.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
I'll say that I didn't at first either... CO2, so what? It's part of the air we breathe... but when you look into it, especially from a conservative mindset, there are several major problems.

1. The whole "carbon credit" idea is utter horseshit. -- You can keep polluting all you want, just as long as you do something to "offset" your pollution. -- Except for how it doesn't offset shit. It's a made up solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

2. None of this is viable without government subsidies, ie: your tax dollars. A truly "free market" would decide if this is viable or not. Just like wind, solar, etc. If it's so f-ing great, it would produce something of value at a cost the market agrees with, without subsidies.

3. Using "eminent domain" to stomp on landowner rights. -- Moving your CO2 from one place to another does not benefit the general public. It just lines the pockets of corporations and bureaucrats. -- If they can do this, what's stopping them from forcing you to allow a wind turbine, a homeless shelter, (or anything really) in your backyard?

4. There is a safety aspect. A sudden cloud of nearly 100% CO2 would kill you pretty quickly. The "kill zone" would be determined by CO2 volume, wind speed and direction, and dispersion rate, but killing hundreds is not out of the question.
I couldn't have said it better...You are spot on... It's all a giant scam aimed at the American people!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You want to heat your home? Buy paint or lumber to improve your home? Pay the carbon man.

Own an outboard motor? Pull your boat with a pickup? Buy fishing equipment containing plastic or lead? Pay the carbon man.

Fly on an airplane? Take an Uber? Pay the carbon man.
🤣

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93