ND PSC Denies Summit pipeline

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Summit Carbon solutions proposed carbon capture pipeline would transport liquified C02 from ethanol plants in South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska to North Dakota.

Summit Carbon Solutions
Summit Carbon solutions proposed carbon capture pipeline would transport liquified C02 from ethanol plants in South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska to North Dakota.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
And then what does ND do with it?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
NIMBY at its finest. As the Bakken ages in the coming years, the oilfield will pay good money for CO2 to inject in older wells to help surrounding wells production.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
NIMBY at its finest. As the Bakken ages in the coming years, the oilfield will pay good money for CO2 to inject in older wells to help surrounding wells production.
I heard that co2 flooding does not work in the Bakken formation. Also the pipeline was not transporting the CO2 as a supercritical liquid so not sure that is the same thing they use for Enhanced oil recovery

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard that co2 flooding does not work in the Bakken formation. Also the pipeline was not transporting the CO2 as a supercritical liquid so not sure that is the same thing they use for Enhanced oil recovery
It hasn’t been tried enough in the bakken to even know. Things that work in one area don’t work twenty miles a way

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does air work just as well as CO2?
I doubt it, there's something about the CO2 that helps move the little hydrocarbons along. It's a long-tested system in what's called Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR). I am sure there's some organic chemistry in there to help explain it all. I just hate organic chemistry.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I am pretty sure Denbury has been using CO2 along the Cedar Creek Anticline, SW of Marmarth, for a few years now. Granted, I don't know what geologic intervals are being produced in that area, so it may be different(????).

Anyway, when it comes to oil, they will find a way. As far as transport conditions, I have no idea what was planned.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I generally do venture too far into on-line political discussion but I do not believe that any of this would have been an issue if not for the 45Q tax credit increased to $85/cubic ton. We can thank the likes of John Hoeven for supporting this form of corp welfare. As a conservative, I have voted for Hoeven in the past but not likely going forward. Just my .02. Would expect that Summit will appeal the decision. I will never understand how CO2 pipelines such as the one proposed were granted common courier status and thus allowed to secure easements via eminent domain. Just another assault to our property rights. Ponzi scheme and loss of property rights all rolled into one! Again, just my $0.02.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty sure Denbury has been using CO2 along the Cedar Creek Anticline, SW of Marmarth, for a few years now. Granted, I don't know what geologic intervals are being produced in that area, so it may be different(????).

Anyway, when it comes to oil, they will find a way. As far as transport conditions, I have no idea what was planned.
Those are completely different formations than the Bakken. They are conventional plays compare to the Bakken play which is fracked shale horizontal wells.

They have been injecting CO2 into older conventional wells for decades in WY and in Canada. All that I have heard it doesn’t work in Bakken kind of formations

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
NIMBY is when someone opposes the location of something they would otherwise support locating in someone else's backyard. Most of us opposed to this 45Q boondoggle do not want this scam to be located anywhere. Not in anyone's back yard.

It just so happened that these summit grifters are so emboldened by their corporate welfare supporting politicians that they didn't think twice about proposing a ludicrously idiotic route right through a growing residential area on the outskirts of the capital city and through numerous geologically challenging areas including one at the north end of said city.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those are completely different formations than the Bakken. They are conventional plays compare to the Bakken play which is fracked shale horizontal wells.

They have been injecting CO2 into older conventional wells for decades in WY and in Canada. All that I have heard it doesn’t work in Bakken kind of formations

I think it's fair to say that whoever unlocks the key to successful EOR in the Bakken will find themselves filthy rich. https://onepetro.org/SPEURCC/proceedings-abstract/20URCC/4-20URCC/D043S008R004/448581

I don't have an account with the above to be able to see the full article, but the last couple of sentences suggest they are making progress at unlocking CO2 based EOR in the Bakken. I also doubt research on this is going to stop anytime soon, there's just too much at stake.

If you're interested, here's an article talking about why EOG has been successful in the Eagle Ford formation, and what appears to be the current obstacle in employing the same in the Bakken. https://jpt.spe.org/shale-eor-works-will-it-make-difference

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
On some of the other political and logistical issues raised, I don't consider the technical ones (pipeline routes, etc) as unsolvable. There are new pipelines laid in this country every single day, I'd bet the number of them that end up using their originally advertised routes is near zero.

The political positions, well...we all have our own reasons for liking or disliking a given politician, party, or topic.

Wallyworld

If the oil people (Industry) want to use this CO2 for enhanced oil recovery. then they should be upfront about it and pay for the pipeline themselves and not suck off of the taxpayers...Most of this pipeline was financed by the government under the false premise of global warming along with big oil and China CCP...The whole CO2 sequester model is a giant money laundering scheme where only the elites will benefit and the little people will suffer and pay the price of the construction, operation, and increased utility costs.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the oil people (Industry) want to use this CO2 for enhanced oil recovery. then they should be upfront about it and pay for the pipeline themselves and not suck off of the taxpayers...Most of this pipeline was financed by the government under the false premise of global warming along with big oil and China CCP...The whole CO2 sequester model is a giant money laundering scheme where only the elites will benefit and the little people will suffer and pay the price of the construction, operation, and increased utility costs.

Not always so straight forward when it comes to who stands to profit/benefit from a given project. The state of North Dakota earns a pretty sizable sum in royalties and taxes from oil production. It would be perfectly reasonable for the State to want to see a project like this move forward enough to help fund/support the project. Increased domestic production benefits every U.S. citizen, this suggests the federal taxpayers are also interested in seeing projects like this which may increase production and tax revenue.

Hell, let's face it...there's even a bit of national defense argument that can be made now that Uncle Joe has cut the national oil reserve in half. If we didn't learn anything from the 70s other than how quick the Arabs can cutoff the oil taps, that would be enough for me.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93