ND State Class A &B

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a way to find out when the starting 5 from Shiloh started enrollment there? Like to know if this recruiting actually has merrit or if the old class B region five is just loaded with Karen’s and Chad’s.

It has none. My kid is a senior and to my knowledge, pretty much every kid on the team with the exception of the Quam kid started at Shiloh in the kindergarten through third grade as is the case with Wilkinson. There are no athletic scholarships at Shiloh.

Now will come the endless list of "my second cousin's third grade friend's nephew was recruited by Shiloh in the 3rd grade".

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone post enrollment number that include all co ops? I feel like I found it before. But, now it's lost in the shitshow of a website that ndshaa is.

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has none. My kid is a senior and to my knowledge, pretty much every kid on the team with the exception of the Quam kid started at Shiloh in the kindergarten through third grade as is the case with Wilkinson. There are no athletic scholarships at Shiloh.

Now will come the endless list of "my second cousin's third grade friend's nephew was recruited by Shiloh in the 3rd grade".
I figured that was the case. Would have been hard to believe that minot Bismarck and Dickinson private schools would randomly have 5 stud ball players show up freshman year. Every year. Whiners will whine.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figured that was the case. Would have been hard to believe that minot Bismarck and Dickinson private schools would randomly have 5 stud ball players show up freshman year. Every year. Whiners will whine.

Right, people are missing the obvious when it comes to why the private schools tend to do well in sports. Since their parents are well off enough to afford tuition on top of the other child raising expenses, the kids don't generally have to work in HS. Instead, they are allowed to sign up for things like Sanford Power for extra training in a given sport. They weren't necessarily born with greater talent than the other kids, they are just given better opportunities to become the absolute best version of themselves. And quite honestly, I don't think it takes a very well-trained eye to see this in just about every sport.

Yeah, there are plenty of big city kids in public schools that are given the same opportunities, not so much at the smaller towns.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone post enrollment number that include all co ops? I feel like I found it before. But, now it's lost in the shitshow of a website that ndshaa is.

I don't know where it's summarized in a single list. You can find individual school enrollment by clicking on the school of interest at this link: https://ndhsaa.com/schools

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Where do the whiners want the enrollment cutoffs to be? Always going to be someone whining.
The bottom 3 Class A teams could and should move back to Class B. It would not affect anything. Anyone who thinks Wahpeton, Valley City or Devils Lake should be playing Dunseith or Killdeer has a serious case of rectal cranial inversion.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh that would've been easy. If your private school is located in an A or now AA school district, you're AA.

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh that would've been easy. If your private school is located in an A or now AA school district, you're AA.
Easy enough. Then if your 19 school/3county super team doesnt belong in class either

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've been here before, but I don't think the Bismarck schools would be too crazy about scheduling Our Redeemer's or Dickinson Trinity and winning every game by 50.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

So you want to put Dakota Adventist Academy with a grade 9-12 student population in the mid 30s in the same league as BHS with over 1,100 kids? :unsure:

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I did a little homework for you guys. I used the above link. These were according to the 2022 enrollments. I just picked out a few that were mentioned above. Bowman County 144, Trinity 147, Killdeer 175, Shiloh 154, Kindred 246, Grafton 284, Bishop Ryan 96, Devils Lake 500.

Moral of the story. No matter where you draw the line you will always have top dogs and bottom feeders.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wish some of you cared as much about kids getting good grades as you do about winning a basketball game. Parents are a way worse enemy that the kids with athletics. Kids just want to play. Parents turn into complete A-holes. I have seen it all the way down to 3rd grade basketball games. And then we wonder why we cannot find any officials to do games.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
What, you think they should start holding class in the parking lot? It's a nice school and all, but it still has facility limitations.
Sports are extremely competitive with many parents and they will do just about anything to get their kid playing time. There are many parents who put their kid in Shiloh because he/she is # 6 in basketball or 2nd in line for QB at Bismarck, Century, or Legacy so he gets to start and play. I know one guy who moved across town so his kid would be starting QB as a sophomore when legacy first opened, the kid was QB for 3 yrs.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sports are extremely competitive with many parents and they will do just about anything to get their kid playing time. There are many parents who put their kid in Shiloh because he/she is # 6 in basketball or 2nd in line for QB at Bismarck, Century, or Legacy so he gets to start and play. I know one guy who moved across town so his kid would be starting QB as a sophomore when legacy first opened, the kid was QB for 3 yrs.
Very true, although I'd say the situation you described is much more common than someone transferring to Shiloh from what I've seen. Hockey and wrestling seem to be the most common.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps the school based system is inherently flawed and a community based system would work better??

When it comes to private schools, are the students better supported by the parents when it comes to achieving things?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As stated, 5 kids, in class b who took part in everything.

However, hockey was not offer so kid went first to Rugby, then Mayville/Portland and finally to Killarney Mn to play.
Great sport as every kid no matter their skill played in the game and played in the first period. Took girls to Rugby for gymnastic as not offer in home school. Great sport as everyone ran down that mat and did what they could.
Now archery as every kid has a bow, arrow and shoots at a target no matter their skill level. Another great sport. 4-H
So, i took the kids to play in another school for a reason and none played in a state tournament except archery. Me and the wife went to them all. Hockey every weekend about 50 games a year, Club hockey. Great times and winning is nice but today the memories of those time was seeing the kids play. db-2

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obviously having a bigger pool of kids to draw from is better than smaller but that is not the only path to a championship. Let me use Edgeley for example. In 1990 they won the state class B championship. The enrollment was the same for the 10 years prior and the 10 years after when they didn't win. What made that team champs was a small number of kids loved basketball, practiced alot and made it happen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84