New caliber recommendations

Tomsky

I would like to thank everyone for the responses. I bought the 7mm Rem Mag. The main reason it was in stock, and the availability of ammo. Plus 3 good friends of mine have good reloading data on that caliber and shoot them often. I would love a rifle for its performance out to 500 yds if the situation arises. Thanks for the input.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your buddy cant make a 25 yd shot and then you stick him behind a rifle at 409 yds and he makes a good shot. Figure the average shot 217 yds. A shooter that cant make a 25 yd shot has no business shooting out to 400 yds. Piss poor excuse if you ask most shooter

Elmer Keith had about ten witnesses that said he killed a mule deer doe at 600 yards with a 4 inch Smith and Wesson. More accident than skill I would say, but still it took skill to get it in the realm of a possibility accident or not. The reason for the long shot - the animal was wounded and the sun was setting. There is no such thing as to long a shot on an already wounded animal. Sorry to disagree and I'm not looking to argue, I would simply ask that people think about this for a moment. Don't let an animal walk off and suffer because you think yards isn't ethical. It's not ethical not to try.

- - - Updat400 yaed - - -

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to thank everyone for the responses. I bought the 7mm Rem Mag. The main reason it was in stock, and the availability of ammo. Plus 3 good friends of mine have good reloading data on that caliber and shoot them often. I would love a rifle for its performance out to 500 yds if the situation arises. Thanks for the input.

You-Have-Chosen-Wisely.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree
That 7 mag will make you a very happy camper on anything from deer to moose with the right bullet. Lots of great .284 bullet choices out there thats for sure. I just like pushing them a little harder with my stw. :;:thumbsup
As far as a scope, everyone has a favorite just like calibers.
Myself I like something that you can use in a hurry. No giant turrets to be cranking on. Just range it look in the scope and shoot. So some kind of calibrated reticle, I have a couple with the rapid z reticle and they work great for hunting situations.
rsz_reticle_rapid_z-800-1.jpg

Have bought a couple Leupolds with the cds system and that works slick as well. But buy what you like thats what counts. Have fun with that new rifle! :;:cheers

Last edited:

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have spent the better part of a week deciding on a new rifle for me. Looking at Ballistic Coefficient, Sectional Density, and ft lbs of energy per velocity and I think you made the right choice. As i said earlier in this post that I was debating about getting a 6.5-300, but those that I have talked to have made me shy away from this caliber for multiple reasons. I'm also leaning toward a 7mm at this moment.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last rifle I bought was a 6.5-300 callem! :;:muahaha
Variety is the spice of life right!
Its taken a couple deer and antelope, none liked the 127 gr lrx.
20201124_232222.jpg

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member

7mm is a very tried and true caliber. As a lot of people have mentioned, look into ELD-X. Get some good glass on it and you're good to go.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,

Reams have been written about 270 vs. 30-06, then the LRF becomes ubiquitous, optics manufacturers start installing "holdover" reticles and 50yrs worth of Gunwriting, bar-room/coffee-shop arguments become moot because every bottleneck "deer" cartridge has a similar enough trajectory so as to be able to all use the same holdover scope.

Now we're comparing/contrasting minuscule differences at ranges so far that damned few could actually quantify the difference on paper to the difference on a target off of a bench. A whole bunch fewer could discern the difference shooting from field positions.

There's not a single new "hunting" cartridge "developed" within the last 20yrs that's capable of doing something that wasn't already being done either by some other factory offering. There is no new Cartridge/Caliber, rifle, or optic that's going to suddenly make you a competent 500yd+ shooter. Lots of time and ammo expended shooting @ 500+yds makes you a competent 500+yd shooter.

You obviously have no experience with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

- - - Updated - - -

Good choice. You’ll have a much easier time finding ammo. If you can’t get it done with 7mm mag you wouldn’t with the 6.5 PRC either.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you bought the Hells Canyon, Would you mind sharing what you paid for it ?, I am in the market for the exact same and just curious if it can be found under the MSRP anywhere ? Also, I think there is a $50 rebate on them right now if your not aware already.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88