1,447 ft/lbs @ 500yds

7mm mag
150gr
1,445 ft/lbs @ 500yds

6.5PRC
143gr
1,610 ft/lbs @ 500yds

- - - Updated - - -

Really that’s 3 bullet weight weights lol ... would it not have been more constructive to list the b.c’s and all of the bullet weights available for the comparison? ... but that wouldn’t satisfy your bias now would it? If you take the time to review the b.c choices and bullet weight options it will show you actually what is going on with the numbers.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the Vortex second generation 5x25 by 50mm on a Creedmoor that I load to a little over 3000 fps with the 140 ELD-M and the 140 VLD. I shot my first coyote this fall at 400 yards with 140 ELD-M. In the right side low in the neck and out in front of the left hind quarter. She ran 300 yards and when I got to her I still had to shoot her in the head with the 22 handgun. The exit wasn't much bigger than the entrance. I didn't open her up to look at the damage since I thought the path it took had to hit the gut and my nose didn't want the experience.

I thought I would like the ELD-M since it is very accurate. I only have shot one animal so I suppose I shouldn't get to down on it. I like the price compared to the VLD. Sure hope it's better next time. I would like to hear experience from others.

I guess the old Amax just worked too good. They had to make a new and "improved" version...SMH

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ran the chart with a 150 grain accubond long range out of the .270 wsm. You might want to take some time and run some actual charts so you know what is going on.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also did a lot of research for my next rifle and it is going to be the 6.5-300. 26 Nosler was my second but wasnt really that close

The only concern I have with the 6.5-300 is the weatherby vanguard feels cheap compared to other rifles in that price range. I can not justify the cost of a mark v when compared to the price of some custom rifles.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot my first coyote this fall at 400 yards with 140 ELD-M. In the right side low in the neck and out in front of the left hind quarter. She ran 300 yards and when I got to her I still had to shoot her in the head with the 22 handgun. The exit wasn't much bigger than the entrance. I didn't open her up to look at the damage since I thought the path it took had to hit the gut and my nose didn't want the experience.
I thought I would like the ELD-M since it is very accurate. I only have shot one animal so I suppose I shouldn't get to down on it. I like the price compared to the VLD. Sure hope it's better next time. I would like to hear experience from others.

I've shot a pile of coyotes with the 140 ELDM out of a 6.5 Creed. It's always anchored them.

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a 6.5 prc and a 7 mag. My vote is 7 mag. I had 2 rifle deer tags this year and the 6.5 prc never left the safe.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I own a 6.5 prc and a 7 mag. My vote is 7 mag. I had 2 rifle deer tags this year and the 6.5 prc never left the safe.

And the bigger question is why is that? comfort with the caliber/gun? better gun set-up? ammo availability? just personnel preference? one rests on your pick-up mirror better than the other??????

you really didn't answer anything............

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never got the prc to shoot good. Its at browning now, hopefully they send a different gun back. I tried 2 scopes, 2 sets of rings, several bullets, powders, and even different primers trying to get it to shoot this summer. I'm super impressed with the 7mag, its a new to me caliber. I shot 2 bucks with it this year one a big muley at 400+ yards and the terminal performance with a 160 accubond was fantastic.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess the old Amax just worked too good. They had to make a new and "improved" version...SMH

the 143 eldx is the amax with a little more ass behind it. It passed through and left a decent hole in the elks heart at 753 I was impressed it made an exit hole that far.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
150 gr. would not be my first choice for the 7mm mag. 162 or 168 gr. then compare energy. Anyone of those calibers will be sufficient, my vote would be the 7mm mag based on availability of components and lots of factory load choices. Have a friend that loves his Hells Canyon.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit.
I used to debate all this myself.
Glad I'm over it. Stick to the OLD tried n true 7mag and go kill stuff.
I can't believe I ever got sucked into the "hype" of all this nonsense but I did.
The only off the wall thing im glad I did was build a 17.204 for coyotes.
(2 of them) but that was when fur prices were great.
I could and so could you.... live the rest of our lives comfortably shooting deer with a plain Jane. 270 or 30-06.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot a pile of coyotes with the 140 ELDM out of a 6.5 Creed. It's always anchored them.
Good to hear. What was the exit hole like? Did it show expansion? I would like to stay away from the VLD for coyote because I think it will blow the crap out of them. However, I would like some expansion.
I knew guys had killed deer with it, but I thought maybe it expanded on larger animals than coyote, but not coyote. I am going out with a friend bow hunting tomorrow and hope to see a coyote away from his stand. This year if anything can go wrong on coyote it has.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not a 6.5 SAUM, 257 Weatherby, 6.5-300 Weatherby, or 280AI

- - - Updated - - -

Trijicon accupoint for nice glass love the illumination

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not a 6.5 SAUM, 257 Weatherby, 6.5-300 Weatherby, or 280AI

- - - Updated - - -

Trijicon accupoint for nice glass love the illumination

the 6.5saum is why the prc is here. No need to resize brass and all that goes with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear. What was the exit hole like? Did it show expansion? I would like to stay away from the VLD for coyote because I think it will blow the crap out of them. However, I would like some expansion.
I knew guys had killed deer with it, but I thought maybe it expanded on larger animals than coyote, but not coyote. I am going out with a friend bow hunting tomorrow and hope to see a coyote away from his stand. This year if anything can go wrong on coyote it has.

the 143 punches a nice little hole in and out unless you hit front shoulder then it’s not good but the coyote ain’t running away

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
I custom built a 6.5PRC last year, glad I bought a case of hornady and 200 rounds of empty brass, I like the cartridge for deer but wouldn’t use it for elk... just my opinion. I believe in the 30cal for elk

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really that’s 3 bullet weight weights lol ... would it not have been more constructive to list the b.c’s and all of the bullet weights available for the comparison? ... but that wouldn’t satisfy your bias now would it? If you take the time to review the b.c choices and bullet weight options it will show you actually what is going on with the numbers.

Not bias, just liked the cartridge. As stated, out of the 3 choices, it has the most energy.

Carry on:;:cheers

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you compare eld-x to eld-x bullet in factory Hornady ammo the 162gr 7mm at 500 is at like 1770ft/lbs 36" drop. I have seen a lot of 270 wsm ammo on the shelf of various small gun shops, I don't really have any experience with this but the 145gr eld-x is like 1640 ft/lbs 34" drop at 500. 6.5 prc is 1600ft/lbs 36" drop.
But if I was going to choose between a 7mm and a 6.5 prc for an all around gun I would go with the 7mm also, with all the new bullets on the market to me it is a no brainer. If you ever do reload you may run into overall length issue with the prc depending on what bullets you want to shoot and how far you seat them out, due to it being a short action. However some people don't like belted magnums to me its not an issue, but with the 7mm I know guys spinning up to 175's with huge down range bc and ft/lbs. I shoot 139's out of my 7mm and out to 640 it has shot lot of deer. But if you are only planning on shooting out to 500 yards at deer the plain jane creedmoor will do that, at 1/3 the ammo price less recoil and the same bc bullets the prc shoots.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go big or go home how about 1852 ft lbs at 500 yards 150grn.

- - - Updated - - -

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93