New caliber recommendations

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
the 7mm browning hclr is a 1:8 twist should have no problem with 162 gr bullets.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you compare eld-x to eld-x bullet in factory Hornady ammo the 162gr 7mm at 500 is at like 1770ft/lbs 36" drop. I have seen a lot of 270 wsm ammo on the shelf of various small gun shops, I don't really have any experience with this but the 145gr eld-x is like 1640 ft/lbs 34" drop at 500. 6.5 prc is 1600ft/lbs 36" drop.
But if I was going to choose between a 7mm and a 6.5 prc for an all around gun I would go with the 7mm also, with all the new bullets on the market to me it is a no brainer. If you ever do reload you may run into overall length issue with the prc depending on what bullets you want to shoot and how far you seat them out, due to it being a short action. However some people don't like belted magnums to me its not an issue, but with the 7mm I know guys spinning up to 175's with huge down range bc and ft/lbs. I shoot 139's out of my 7mm and out to 640 it has shot lot of deer. But if you are only planning on shooting out to 500 yards at deer the plain jane creedmoor will do that, at 1/3 the ammo price less recoil and the same bc bullets the prc shoots.

Valid points on some of it. Keep in mind the 6.5s do not really start to shine until you get beyond 500yds where the extremely high BC actually makes a difference. Hence, where having the extra case capacity for powder in the PRC makes it a very capable long range gun. Surprisingly, looking up the three eldx versions at scheels, was kind of eye opening with the 7 being the most expensive of the three. A box of 20 for the creed was listed at $34.99, for the PRC $39.99, and for the 7mm $46.99. Personally I like the ELDMs in the PRC so far but would like to try the Nosler's 140/142s at some point.

The way I look at it for the Creed; is they are inherently accurate because of how they were designed in terms of the gun and the ammo, the gun manufactures are manufacturing good variants in these calibers with the proper barrel twist to stabilize the high SD heavy for the caliber bullets with great BCs, they have great off the shelf ammo in terms of performance and reliability that is reasonably priced, and yet they won't beat the shit out of the shooter with recoil. Bottom line is they are a joy to shoot and are making better shooters of people because of these reasons, hence the popularity. The PRC simply offers the same virtues in a more refined package and packs a bigger punch with more effective range in a short action gun, and is still a joy to sit at the bench and shoot. Now if I had a 7mm, a 284-6.5, a 264 or similar in the case; I wouldn't be running out to sell it to replace with a PRC. But if your buying a gun to fit in this category it's a damn good option.

There are lots of calibers that are capable of similar results but you end up compromising somewhere, be it recoil, good factory ammo, guns manufactured with the right barrel twist, ect. As I posted before, the ONLY downside I could see of the PRC is there is not a million off the shelf ammo options, however what is available is extremely good and there is a high probability more options will be available in the future.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
The .284 actually has a higher bc than the 264 in eldx if I remember right. The nice thing about going with the browning is you get 1:8 barrel instead of the 1:9.5 of a lot of older 7mm. But regardless factory Hornady ammo out of a prc, everyone that shoots the eldx has said it has performed well. however a few guys have had pressure signs. I have the eldx for my prc but I haven’t shot it yet, I’m hoping accuracy holds true. I agree that the 6.5 prc does a lot well and is a good setup, but personally think the 7mm is a better choice right now.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I custom built a 6.5PRC last year, glad I bought a case of hornady and 200 rounds of empty brass, I like the cartridge for deer but wouldn’t use it for elk... just my opinion. I believe in the 30cal for elk

Just wondering why? Is there any reasoning behind this?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Further more, 90% of "hunters" have and most likely not shot at ranges over 300 yards.
This long range shooting stuff is starting to piss me off when it come to hunting.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Further more, 90% of "hunters" have and most likely not shot at ranges over 300 yards.
This long range shooting stuff is starting to piss me off when it come to hunting.

maybe in Minnesota but on the prairie 300 yards is just average.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also vote for the 6.5 prc. I bought one a year ago and have been nothing but impressed and compared to the 7mm, if you are shooting an equal weight bullet, the 6.5 prc will be faster after 250 yards because it has less drag. So you can get a cartridge that will shoot great at distance, carry energy and not give your shoulder such a thump. As far as ammo goes, I don't seem to have a problem getting it. Yes it gets sold out quick, but in just the last month, I have picked up plenty to last me for awhile.

For a scope, I would look at the Leupold vx5 hd with fire dot reticle. Price sits right at $1k, and is really a very fine optic for the price.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I don't believe for one minute that 300 yds is a average shot. I use to have a gun shop and would have a sight in day a week or two before opening weekend of deer season. I would get up to 50 shooters show up to sight in there rifles. Many of them could not shot worth a hoot. Some were real good. We would shoot out to 350 yds. And maybe 10 percent of the shooter could consistently shoot out to 350 yds. The other 90 could not and 50 percent of them struggled with 150 yd shoots.

There are very few factory rifle that will consistently shoot out to 500 yds let alone shoot out to 1000 yds.

Last edited:

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree with this, 250-300 yards is a average range for a shot at a deer hunting on the prairie. One of the pieces of equipment that would never leave at home is my range finder. On the open prairie those things are in my opinion a game changer.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't believe for one minute that 300 yds is a average shot. I use to have a gun shop and would have a sight in day a week or two before opening weekend of deer season. I would get up to 50 shooters show up to sight in there rifles. Many of them could not shot worth a hoot. Some were real good. We would shoot out to 350 yds. And maybe 10 percent of the shooter could consistently shoot out to 350 yds. The other 90 could not and 50 percent of them struggled with 150 yd shoots.

There are very few factory rifle that will consistently shoot out to 500 yds let alone shoot out to 1000 yds.

well, guys that are going to come shoot at the range the day before season starts speaks volumes to the “caliber” of shooters your taking your opinion from.

as far as a factory rifle that will shoot to 500 yds consistently, damn near any will do it with any decent glass. Hell I bought a CHEAP Ruger American 6.5 Creed, Topped it with a low end Vortex Diamondback 4-16 tactical scope, added a bi-pod, sling, and upgraded the gun for magpul magazines. Hardly have $800 in the whole package. Bought this setup for my kids that are just hitting the age where they can start rifle hunting. That gun with cheap 120s or the better 143 eldx will lay rounds within a MOA at 500 all day long. 700 isn’t out of the realm for it but I like more magnification if I’m shooting out that far.

As far as the comment about long distance shots hunting and pissing you off; well, I’ll take a mediocre shooter who has a good tactical scope, that has practiced at the range at 500-700 yds and knows his ballistics before the guy that pulls his trusty ot-6 with his 3x9 bushnell hoping and poking at 300-400 yds and trying to shoot every running animal.

We snuck with 25 yds of a group of goats this year, buddy made a poor shot and wounded a buck with his 270. Buck laid down at 409 yds. I slid my PRC over to him, ranged the animal, called the shot and he was able dispatch it. There was no way to sneak that wounded buck, we’d have had to try and would’ve end up pushing a wounded animal instead of just taking care of business. Long range has its advantages. As they say, practice for long to shoot for short.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We snuck with 25 yds of a group of goats this year, buddy made a poor shot and wounded a buck with his 270. Buck laid down at 409 yds. I slid my PRC over to him, ranged the animal, called the shot and he was able dispatch it. There was no way to sneak that wounded buck, we’d have had to try and would’ve end up pushing a wounded animal instead of just taking care of business. Long range has its advantages. As they say, practice for long to shoot for short.

Your buddy cant make a 25 yd shot and then you stick him behind a rifle at 409 yds and he makes a good shot. Figure the average shot 217 yds. A shooter that cant make a 25 yd shot has no business shooting out to 400 yds. Piss poor excuse if you ask most shooter

well, guys that are going to come shoot at the range the day before season starts speaks volumes to the “caliber” of shooters your taking your opinion from,

I said one to two weeks before opening week end not one day. Maybe you need to fabricate a story to make your sound a little bit better.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeh, we got busted and he took a bad off hand shot a running goat at about 150, and hit about 12inch back from the vitals. Be careful what you assume......

- - - Updated - - -

This also comes back to what I also said in that same post, I’ll take a 700 yd still shot all day over a 200 yd running shot!

And your taking your opinion from a sample of guys sighting in their rifle the week before season. quit being a hose nossel......

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

where was this gun shop at? Not very many factory rifles that won’t shoot out to 500 these days. It wasn’t the rifles holding back the distance it was quality glass and range finders.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data, data,

Reams have been written about 270 vs. 30-06, then the LRF becomes ubiquitous, optics manufacturers start installing "holdover" reticles and 50yrs worth of Gunwriting, bar-room/coffee-shop arguments become moot because every bottleneck "deer" cartridge has a similar enough trajectory so as to be able to all use the same holdover scope.

Now we're comparing/contrasting minuscule differences at ranges so far that damned few could actually quantify the difference on paper to the difference on a target off of a bench. A whole bunch fewer could discern the difference shooting from field positions.

There's not a single new "hunting" cartridge "developed" within the last 20yrs that's capable of doing something that wasn't already being done either by some other factory offering. There is no new Cartridge/Caliber, rifle, or optic that's going to suddenly make you a competent 500yd+ shooter. Lots of time and ammo expended shooting @ 500+yds makes you a competent 500+yd shooter.

Last edited:

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that the 30 cal. you can get a heavier grain bullet which holds more energy and the impact is greater. Yes I know that shot placement is the key, but i have shot elk with the 300 win mag and have taken front shoulders out, I just question doing that with a 6.5 with a 143 grain bullet.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that the 30 cal. you can get a heavier grain bullet which holds more energy and the impact is greater. Yes I know that shot placement is the key, but i have shot elk with the 300 win mag and have taken front shoulders out, I just question doing that with a 6.5 with a 143 grain bullet.

I would be curious if the OP intends to hunt bigger game than deer with this rifle? That would make a difference.

I have shot two elk with a 6.5mm SLR (ballistically, pretty much a CM ). I have a 300 PRC currently being built now.

If bigger game than deer is on the menu for the OP i would do the 7RM. If not, 6.5 PRC.

I also agree the PRC cartridges are not going anywhere anytime soon and will continue to see more ammo and component options.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Opinions on 26 nosler with burris eliminator

not a fan of the barrel burner as you won’t practice enough. The few times I have used an eliminator not really impressed. Just give me
a scope with turrets a range finder and a good ballistics program.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Opinions on 26 nosler with burris eliminator

Having the LRF in the scope wouldn't be my 1st choice unless I was hunting from a blind/stand where I was always on a steady rest.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be curious if the OP intends to hunt bigger game than deer with this rifle? That would make a difference.

I have shot two elk with a 6.5mm SLR (ballistically, pretty much a CM ). I have a 300 PRC currently being built now.

If bigger game than deer is on the menu for the OP i would do the 7RM. If not, 6.5 PRC.

I also agree the PRC cartridges are not going anywhere anytime soon and will continue to see more ammo and component options.

I do like my 6.5 PRC and would highly recommend that cartridge. Now for finding ammo is another thing. When you get that 300 PRC built, post and let us know your thoughts.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88