New merc 450.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get 57mph on my 189 Triton with the 175hp Black Max Merc. That's one speed, but 70mph is a whole other feeling!

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
FWIW, I loved my 1895 Storm SC. It was one of the best pure fishing boats I've had the pleasure to own. Yours looks like nice well kept DC version.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
(All of a sudden, the very best waders on the market (perhaps Sitka or Simms), even at $1000, seem pretty tame by comparison.) And both will be very uncomfortable with a hole in them.

True, the boat is pretty uncomfortable with a hole in it too. :D

I wonder if I'll ever be old enough to have gone through 85 pairs of those expensive waders. I'd guess not.

I kid. I don't mean to compare shore-fishing to boat fishing. Worlds apart. At times though, I hold my own.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
True, the boat is pretty uncomfortable with a hole in it too. :D

I wonder if I'll ever be old enough to have gone through 85 pairs of those expensive waders. I'd guess not.

I kid. I don't mean to compare shore-fishing to boat fishing. Worlds apart. At times though, I hold my own.

And you don't need to buy gallons and gallons of fuel, cause just a can will do. untitledbbb.jpg

Last edited:

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Ummm yes. I have a Yar Craft 1895TSC with a 225 Yamaha HPDI that hits 60 GPS.

There's a huge difference between 60 and "high 60's"

I spent alot of time in Storms from that era. Most were high 50's boats, but a few that ran jack plates and custom props and those would see low 60's.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can you even run that motor on any walleye boat on coast guard patrolled waters ie Great Lakes? Are there any sparkle boats rated for 450?

Well, that's a whole nother debate......is it really any different than buying a 400 Verado and doing a computer upgrade to kickout 450hp? I know you can insure it, and technically speaking boats over 20ft are not regulated by the coast guard for hp, thats purely up to the manufacture. Now whether or not you can get a ticket from the CG or Game and Fish if the rating exceeds the manufacture plate is the real question? and based on how many times I've been stopped in the last 25 years, I can count the chance of getting a ticket on one finger, possibility the middle one, lol. I'd say the 55K price tag on the motor alone is one of the biggest detractors considering it's about $20k more than a 400hp Verado. However, for them rich Canuk's, that's almost 1/2 the price of that sevens marine 557 they hung on one a few years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, add 40% to those prices to get it into Candian dollars, lol

bobberdown

apparently you people did not see, in the video , a 450 hp boat/motor getting way to close to shore? Why did the boat operator shut down the rig , because he/she was way to close to wiping out lower unit, depth perception pros!

- - - Updated - - -

LOOK AT THE WAKE WHEN OPERATOR SHUT BOAT DOWN!!!!!! 3 or 4 feet from gravel

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh my !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
apparently you people did not see, in the video , a 450 hp boat/motor getting way to close to shore? Why did the boat operator shut down the rig , because he/she was way to close to wiping out lower unit, depth perception pros!

- - - Updated - - -

LOOK AT THE WAKE WHEN OPERATOR SHUT BOAT DOWN!!!!!! 3 or 4 feet from gravel

That looks like one of those little ponds where they do waterski/wake-boarding shows, not some stretch of river where people fish.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes a 1998 1895 Storm that is supposedly a tournament/competition boat because it has a 60 gal tank. I do not have GPS (I've been on Metigoshe since I was born and I will be 75 this summer) and have no need for GPS or mapping. The speed is from the pinwheel on the depth finder, so it may not be accurate - it's just all I have.

pissed farmer3.JPG

use your phone next time. Any navionics, onX, snapchat filters, etc. will have a gps speed available. no need to buy a graph just to prove anyone wrong.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84