New rifle build

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a load for the 7mag with 162's. I liked my 168 load a little better. Plus I ran with the 168's for elk. I have a slow but stupid accurate load for the 7-08 with 162's.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.......and the recoil is non-existent with that 7-08. I haven't shot the 7mag since I developed a romantic bloody relationship with that 7-08.

ya he shot the 162 sst last year and they worked well i can only imagine with the amax it will be better and i know a few people who have the 7-08 with 162 and love it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bartlein 1-8. Seems most go that or 1-8.5 or I have seen a few gain twist to.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a load for the 7mag with 162's. I liked my 168 load a little better. Plus I ran with the 168's for elk. I have a slow but stupid accurate load for the 7-08 with 162's.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.......and the recoil is non-existent with that 7-08. I haven't shot the 7mag since I developed a romantic bloody relationship with that 7-08.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your load for the 162's? Powder and oal specifically... I appreciate it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't mind me asking, what is your load for the 162's? Powder and oal specifically... I appreciate it.

Stop over with some FF'd brass from yours and we'll run a table for '15 and '17. I've a few spare 162's too if you can't find any.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

I am assuming you are after my 7-08 load?

7mm-08 162 A-max
Case: R-P
Primer: CCI 200
Powder: 37.0 Varget
Speed: 2425 10' from the muzzle
OAL: 2.262 Ogive (can't find my notes to see how far off the lands I am but I know I am close but not jammed)

case work: primer pocket uniform, deburred flash hole plus all the regular stuff.

FYI: this is a factory chambered rifle which forced me to chase the lands. I bought it for a steal with the idea of robbing the action, but it hit a soft spot so I kept it around. I can barely squeeze 1 round in the box magazine using a little bit of the feed ramp. I was looking for accuracy. Most of time I chamber 1 round at a time.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm turning knobs so I could care less about the speed.

- - - Updated - - -

It will more than likely be zero help to you.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm truly flattered. I didn't have a clue you cared:eek:. Of all the pretty girls out there, you stayed true blue. I'm grinning in my shorts just knowing you'll be having a piece of me every time you shoulder that beauty in the rugged wilderness. Promise me you'll seriously run a 150 Fusion for group through her after break in.

What's the plan for glass? Seriously, I find it cool you chose a 7 Rem for a match grade rifle.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm truly flattered. I didn't have a clue you cared:eek:. Of all the pretty girls out there, you stayed true blue. I'm grinning in my shorts just knowing you'll be having a piece of me every time you shoulder that beauty in the rugged wilderness. Promise me you'll seriously run a 150 Fusion for group through her after break in.

What's the plan for glass? Seriously, I find it cool you chose a 7 Rem for a match grade rifle.

Might have had something to do with the action and bolt face he had available. If it were me, and I was building something in the 7mm flavor, I would have went with something other than a belted round. WSM more than likely, but then again it's not mine or your rifle. It is really fancy though. I hope to hear more about how it groups in the future!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Belt never really hurt anyone. It's sexy too (not mine, I don't remember if OL or F&S--way back). It also made "Toby" stronger. Hopefully "our" Toby also.

th
th

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked it up today and it's even sexier in person! I have things lined up to start loading tonight and it weather is right will be sending some rounds in the morning. The fit and finish of this rifle far exceeds any I've seen done before! I will be mounting the Zeiss HD5 5-25 tonight in some Seekins rings.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked it up today and it's even sexier in person! I have things lined up to start loading tonight and it weather is right will be sending some rounds in the morning. The fit and finish of this rifle far exceeds any I've seen done before! I will be mounting the Zeiss HD5 5-25 tonight in some Seekins rings.

What are you going to try?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Belt never really hurt anyone. It's sexy too (not mine, I don't remember if OL or F&S--way back). It also made "Toby" stronger. Hopefully "our" Toby also.

forums
OTE]

Surprised you are aware of the above.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Initial results were pretty damn good. I shot a few groups staring about midway and working towards max in .5 gr increments. I s loaded 5 thousands off the lands for these groups and shot a couple in the .3's. Now I will load in smaller increments between my best groups and then adjust seating depth. I really think I can get this rifle down to a 1/4.
image.jpgimage.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mighty good! Huge confidence boost when things are great right from the get-go. What sort of front rear rests are you using?

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mighty good! Huge confidence boost when things are great right from the get-go. What sort of front rear rests are you using?
Just using a set of Caldwell bags on a bench. I should add this was new brass also so I am pretty confident I can shrink this down fairly easy.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
May I PLEASE get a "Group "W" from the bench" with 150grn Fusions? If need be, I'll send along the jack for a box of shells. I'm being serious in this regard: YOU are the vehicle to prove my point. Just trying keep things lively with what's in my mind. First to ID "Group W" gets a "Thumbs Up!", Song, and fantasy/non-existent wool codpiece knitted by my great great great aunt with her bosoms in Civil War Times.

SD: I'm Svnmag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaP19pY1FI

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just using a set of Caldwell bags on a bench. I should add this was new brass also so I am pretty confident I can shrink this down fairly easy.

What brass? What are you using for a die? On a precision rifle like that when I know the ammo's only going into 1, I'd have a set from Forster, a bushing sizer with the expander ball removed and their competition seater. I'd be setting a false shoulder on a partial neck size and be snuggled into the lands. I like to "feel" headspace upon camming the bolt into battery. A case that is captured fore and aft with only a small amount of neck to expand in order to release the bullet almost always results in WAY lower ES/SD vs. full length sizing which in turn relates to little/no vertical dispersion at distance. Case in point would be my 243AI @ 1020yds last Sunday showed ~3-4" of vertical. The less time/energy it takes for the burning powder to expand the brass gasket to fill the voids, the more energy is going to be used to propel the projectile and there'll be less brass anomaly potential. Using your chamber as your final seating procedure also virtually guarantees that there's no seating "runout". With .002-.003 worth of constriction there should be plenty enough neck tension to hold a bullet and allow extraction without having the bullet stick in the lands and dump powder all over creation. Berger's have plenty enough taper to allow them to be extracted from the lands fairly easily should one in up in a "don't shoot" situation.

Just thoughts and things don't always end up that way, but it's always where I start so as to have as many fixed data points as possible.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85