New rifle build

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am using Win brass and started with new so FF as I go. So wasn't into the head space yet but working that way. I am just using RCBS dies. If this was a bench rifle I'd get more carried away but if I can get a 1/4" out of it then I'm gonna stretch the legs. I built this rifle for hunting and have never done any bench shooting other than for personal satisfaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Again I started .005 off the lands and will adjust but don't wanna jam cause in the end it's a hunting rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to take a lil time today for one of my future coyote sniping partners. His first day with a 22 and a scope. He thinks he's ready!
image.jpgimage.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A jam is no big deal with bushing dies you can adjust your neck tension, .002-.003 worth and you sure as heck aren't pulling bullets.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be WAY more concerned about holding ~3"-4" @ 400 than I would be about getting to 1/4" @ 100. 1/4" @ 100 DOES NOT automatically correlate to 1" groups @ 400.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
A jam is no big deal with bushing dies you can adjust your neck tension, .002-.003 worth and you sure as heck aren't pulling bullets.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be WAY more concerned about holding ~3"-4" @ 400 than I would be about getting to 1/4" @ 100. 1/4" @ 100 DOES NOT automatically correlate to 1" groups @ 400.

i also understand that. The 243 I worked on this winter actually shoots better groups at 200 than I can get with it at a 100. But it's a good foundation ti start with.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn wind. Really wanted to do some more testing today but she's blowing early. Guess I'm on hold til she drops. Good ole ND!

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Figured I'd update. This thing just keeps impressing me! Props to my builder for making me a hammer! The wind has been fighting me but still getting some testing done. I'm gonna test a few more things and then Start stretching the legs. I also want to say I topped this with a new Zeiss HD5 and love it! It's more compact and more power than the older version and tracks just like all my Zeiss's have.
image.jpgimage.jpgI wanna say I did a front rail and am using an American Defense bipod adaptor and it's the cats ass!

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of velocity did you get out of the retumbo?
I havn't chrono'd it yet and not sure if I will. I generally stretch the legs and build my data off of actual drop. Seems to be far more accurate then just going off of chrono numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add I am a bit below max but went up and over recommended max and it didn't like it as much. Never got to the point of showing pressure just groups opened up some. I also played with seating depth but ended at 69.2 of Retumbo and .005 off the lands.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Package coming.

- - - Updated - - -

All I'm asking is a cold barrel for group. I'd shoot these rds against anything on the planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Package coming.

- - - Updated - - -

All I'm asking is a cold barrel for group. I'd shoot these rds against anything on the planet.

- - - Updated - - -

What kinds of groups are you getting with them and have you tried them in multiple rifles?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, nope just in the old '77. Multiple "premium" factory loads with the same decent result. Quarter at 100. I got these damn things and can print a .50 cal hole. I hope I'm not talking out of my ass. We shall see I guess! Also, I meant cold barrel for every shot and I did fire a fouler before settling in.

Here's what you're getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMxZVb_4Ea8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKAiovEyak

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I havn't chrono'd it yet and not sure if I will. I generally stretch the legs and build my data off of actual drop. Seems to be far more accurate then just going off of chrono numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add I am a bit below max but went up and over recommended max and it didn't like it as much. Never got to the point of showing pressure just groups opened up some. I also played with seating depth but ended at 69.2 of Retumbo and .005 off the lands.

A chrono will tell you more than just what number to put in for velocity when running a ballistics program. I don't shoot without mine. Lots to gain from running a chrono IMO.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya he shot the 162 sst last year and they worked well i can only imagine with the amax it will be better and i know a few people who have the 7-08 with 162 and love it

In my limited reloading experience, ive had better accuracy with the SST's than Amax, but course they dont have the same BC...

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another beauty of an evening to shoot. Had a little wind but sent a few I had loaded anyway. Tonight I tested at 300 and my data thus far is spot on. I didn't adjust at all for wind and was just confirming drop data. It was one of those nights I just wasn't feeling on but shot a decent group anyway. Gonna keep backing up as long as the wind will allow. I think I can get another hundred out of our range then I will be jumping pastures for tests.image.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 73