New Walleye record 16.39lbs

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at the influx of anglers fishing these river systems in the last 3-7yrs. That might have a bit to do with a lot more "Big" fish being caught. More than likely there was always fish of this caliber around, just not as many lures in the water to catch them.

Since I live on Oahe, and have my whole life. I can guarantee you that there are MORE big fish in the system now. I have paid attention to the GFP in both SD and ND and know they net huge fish in the spawning nets each spring. Even have a buddy who's a warden in SD who would come back every spring and new fish out of Mobridge.

Now there were monsters in the system my whole life. Back in the late 70's Mobridge had a fishery that netted and sold shit fish. Then they came up with a dead 23 lb walleye in their nets. It made the news, that a world record walleye was in OAHE. After that the MN boys were packing in every year.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, in looking at the stocking reports and test nettings across ND, there are likely some record sized walleye in a few of our prairie lakes as well. Decent water quality, lack of winterkill, and abundant natural forage are producing nice fish across the region.

Some of its Mother Nature, some of it is NDGF, what that split is can be up for debate.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably a once in a lifetime growth cycle.

A fish only lives once and they don't live long enough to have the kind of growth they've had twice in a lifetime. Thanks Captain Obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of its Mother Nature, some of it is NDGF, what that split is can be up for debate.

Most of the big fish being caught should be credited to SD GFP putting Gizzard Shad into the reservoirs upstream of Oahe.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
its an obvious 2008 year class, and needs to be placed on the wall where all fish of this ability can splendor.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the big fish being caught should be credited to SD GFP putting Gizzard Shad into the reservoirs upstream of Oahe.

Given the seasonal nature of gizzard shad (they die off in cold water), I was a little uncertain as to just how valuable they have been in Oahe. Note, fast growing shad are really only a part of the diet of walleye for about 10 weeks after hatching, but according to this article, they grow slowly in Oahe and that keeps them as viable forage for much longer in the fall. I know I run across schools of them in the shallows of Beaver pretty early in the summer.

Maybe the biggest benefit (for me) is that we're training walleyes to eat shad. And since my favorite crankbait has always been Rapala's shadrap, I've been taking advantage of that. :;:rockit

Full article: Larval gizzard shad characteristics in Lake Oahe, South Dakota: a species at the northern edge of its range (tandfonline.com)

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A fish only lives once and they don't live long enough to have the kind of growth they've had twice in a lifetime. Thanks Captain Obvious.

- - - Updated - - -
Ha ha. I meant a guy probably will only see it once in his lifetime.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given the seasonal nature of gizzard shad (they die off in cold water), I was a little uncertain as to just how valuable they have been in Oahe. Note, fast growing shad are really only a part of the diet of walleye for about 10 weeks after hatching, but according to this article, they grow slowly in Oahe and that keeps them as viable forage for much longer in the fall.

I recall seeing pics either on here or FBO of big spring walleyes with very large shad tails sticking outta their throats, way bigger than a 10wk old minnow. There's absolutely no denying that the GS have GREATLY improved the system and leveled out the boom/bust cycle when it was mainly dependent upon smelt.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess, given the size of suckers we used to use on walleyes back in the 80s, I must admit not fully understanding the reason GS were considered "safe" from walleyes after a few months.

Then again, the bigger the predator gets, the bigger it can eat!

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
awesome fish - congrats!!!

for me anymore, anything between 18" and a record and i'm kinda pist... a 15 to 18 "er will give me a second thrill on a plate...

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lake herring, white bass, perch, crappies, etc have contributed as well. Oahe is loaded with those as well.

The eyes I was catching last fall near Mobridge were loaded with with young white bass.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems you hear a lot that Oahe has too many walleyes for its own good and that they grow slowly because of it. So are these monsters just really long lived or just ones that lived in areas with good forage?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish the very same reservoirs those gizzard shad came from in W SD, along with spending a fair bit of time on Oahe, Sharpe, and FC. I don't think there is any question that shad have improved the Oahe fishery overall. The smelt have never totally bounced back from the flood and shad have filled in the gaps on SOME years. But not all, and that is what I have found about shad, they are good overall but can be hit and miss each year. And, shad make the fishing, particularly fall and winter, make or break. The years when you can walk on the shad on a calm night usually mean TERRIBLE fall fishing and ice fishing. That goes for the W SD reservoirs, Oahe, Sharpe, etc. The best years for late fall and winter fishing are the poor shad years. And the middle years usually give great summer fishing and fair fall fishing.

I think the big ones showing up are a perfect mix of a good forage- smelt, shad, and lots of warmwater fish. It's funny how they are there, but really the average size of Oahe fish is less than stellar right now (in comparison to the great years of say 2008-12). Lots of little fish with these hogs in there too. Congrats on a fish of a lifetime!

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you imagine watching the crankin rod bend over from that beast? Oh my, zzzzzzt, zzzzzzzt, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt goes the clicker.

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there is a lot more fish in the system with better forage. Also more fisherman with better equipment and better sonar and you are going to have more big fish caught

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you imagine watching the crankin rod bend over from that beast? Oh my, zzzzzzt, zzzzzzzt, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt goes the clicker.

You would think right!
But truth be known smaller 20-24" fish seem to hit them way harder and run than the big teener fish do its crazy.
20210301_230320.jpg

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^I'm a bass fag and know the lighter the "tic"; often the bigger the fish. Plastics (a jig in one form or another) are effective and can be boring. Things are different when your entire skeletal structure is jolted after hook-set. You get lulled into bullshit and suddenly wham.

PB on a worm is 8.7.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems that bigger fish fight less. But not always. There have been several times when I'm day-dreaming, retrieving a crank while standing in the water, and the whole rod is darn near yanked right out of my hands. So much so that I sometimes think "carp" right away, then crank in a 27" eye.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've said this a hundred times if I said it once. If I were catching fish for fun, and not to eat, I wouldn't target walleye.

- - - Updated - - -

While I take pride in calling the species before seeing it on the end of my line, that doesn't apply to cranks. You really never know what the hell it is on a crank. I've been fooled by branches doing circles. The "fun to catch" fish aren't usually walleye. I doubt that 16 lb eye bent harder than some of those 40" northerns that smack cranks. Once my step-son snagged a HUGE buffalo carp in the back, we had to reel in and chase it down, still broke off that beautiful crank they don't make anymore. I'll bet it was 50 lbs.

Now I'm not saying I wouldn't love to catch some pig walleye, just saying they're like reeling in a log that shakes its head a bit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75