NFL News (Vikings)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crickets? I gave you my answer. Case Keenum was the better option. He didn't get another chance, they let him go. If you really wanted to accurately judge a follow up season, he would have to stay in the same system. Last year was was Cousin's flash season. How was he after that? Back to a 4-4, .500 QB. The difference between the two was Cousin's keeps getting a chance to win half or less of the games he starts for some reason.
He went to the broncos as a starter he had plenty of chance to make it.Kirk is 50-37 as a starter for the Vikings so there’s that. With some of the worst olines and defense in the game. Kenum was proven he could not do it so what were the options to get an actual starting qb when the Vikings were needing one.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
He went to the broncos as a starter he had plenty of chance to make it.Kirk is 50-37 as a starter for the Vikings so there’s that. With some of the worst olines and defense in the game. Kenum was proven he could not do it so what were the options to get an actual starting qb when the Vikings were needing one.
He plays in one of the weakest divisions.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
He plays in one of the weakest divisions.
So who would have been a better option when they were needing a qb? Arron Rodgers must not have been that good than if we are going with weak division. The whole league must be weak stafford goes to the rams and wins the superbowl in his first year. I would love to have a brady or mahomes qb but people act like they are every where around the corner when that could not be farther from the truth

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya everyone thinks he is so highly paid, it’s funny when they realize it’s not even a top 10 contract. To add he was willing to restructure this last year but the team chose not to.
I stand corrected that he has never restructured his contract and I should have investigated it further, because he did that by taking 16 million less for his final year of his contract.
https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/vikings-analysis/kirk-cousins-all-time/
Here is a great article on kirk cousins done so far in his career

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Simple and unjustified fact about Cousins is that people are going to dislike that guy no matter what. I can't quite figure it out.

He will never be "the guy" on any team he ever plays with.

Regardless of stats, people find him mediocre at best.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What happened to the 1st backup qb after kc was hurt "hall" ? He was injured same game kc was pulled,enter dobbs.

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want a good sense of who Kirk is watch Quarterback on Netflix. My impression is he has been the one factor that enabled a pretty shitty team to maintain a winning record. People that bitch about the money need to look around the league....... Watson getting $270M, Burrow getting $450M..... Kurt was actually a bargain.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone else watched the docuseries on Joe Montana? Now that's a tuff sob right there, I never realized that he was hurt so much and still managed one of the best winning percentages in nfl history.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What happened to the 1st backup qb after kc was hurt "hall" ? He was injured same game kc was pulled,enter dobbs.
He got a hurt on the first drive of the atlanta game. In comes the passtronaught

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will say having a mobile QB on the field is nice. Im not sure but i would bet Dobbs has more rushing yards in his short time here than Cousins had the whole year?

*edit* Dobbs has 110 vs Cousins 25.
Mobile QB's have a tendency to run first instead of going through all the check downs which in most cases becomes their demise.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mobile QB's have a tendency to run first instead of going through all the check downs which in most cases becomes their demise.
It does but t seems to me like his check downs have been good so far. For example Hockenson had 11 receptions against the Who Dats

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally, I like Cousins. One just doesn't hear a lot of negatives coming out of the locker room on him, unlike the Diggs brothers who seem hell bent on getting Josh Allen fired.

The one thing I don't like about Kirk Cousins is that he will, even in a hot streak, eventually be the Kirk Cousins that people hate. In that I am talking about 4th and 15 to go, so he throws a 6 yd check-down rather than giving someone down the field an opportunity to make a play. One thing about Case Keenum, he had no fear of tossing the ball into coverage and letting his receivers make a play in those situations.

Dobbs is having quite the little hot streak here with the Vikes, I am waiting on him to come back down to Earth. There's a reason so many other teams have taken a look at the guy and passed on keeping him.

1700079560140.png

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cousins certainly hasn’t been the Vikings problem. The Vikings haven’t had a decent offensive line since he came. His only issue is his lack of mobility. And with marginal oline you couldn’t expect him to win any more games than they have been winning. He put up great numbers at Washington which at the time was one of the worst teams in the league.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
And reading that he was willing to restructure his last year on his contract shows me that Minnesota made the right choice. I'm not a fan of a mobility qb in the NFL, a qb who is a boot leg style qb has a far shorter career to a qb that can stay in the pocket. That is a fact that I could give you all kinds of examples to prove my point, if you want to have a career with more years stay between the tackles.
Nope i like Kurt, knowing that he wants to finish out his career in Minnesota tells me that drafting another dark horse qb in the later rounds and having a experienced vet qb to show him the ropes is beneficial to the team.
A good example of a good hard team dedicated vet qb with a old-school mentality is Brett Favre, look at what Aaron was able to accomplish on day one of leading the packers offense. Watching Aaron and Brett play in the same game on opposing teams was scary how similar they commanded their offense. Youtube the last years of Brett and the first years of Aaron and you will see almost carbon copy similarities.
The last time you had that back to back qb in a team was joe Montana and Steve Young,.and the reason i believe that was is because of Mike holmgren who was San Francisco qb coach who was there when Montana was qb.

There may be another example that I'm not thinking of but the point is Kurt is not a bad qb and to me is a player who has a great attitude to teach the next generation of qb.
Just think what mack Jones could have accomplished if Tom Brady could have stayed in New England, we can tell that tb was the glue for that team and the patriots should have kept him around until he was ready to hang up his jersey.

Do you know who tb favorite qb is and was there in the stadium when he played? He was there when Montana got injured because he took unnecessary risks by being a mobile boot leg style qb. TB knew that taking less money would give him the best possible opportunity to win rings, and bring the best o line money could buy. Did you know that tb took his whole o line out the night before the game and payed for their supper? Tb is the goat on and off the field any ? marks that people want to put next to the years the Pats won super bowls can be placed solely next to the patriots coaching staff nfl history books.
Montana was the first (goat) tough as nails mobile boot leg qb slash 3 time mvp super bowl champion. TB, who is San Francisco native, was there to watch every one of those years, becoming in his own era the greatest of all time 6 time super bowl champion that will be hard to duplicate maybe in a future generation, but I doubt it.
Kurt is the right qb for the vikes unless dobbs can miraculously continue his no fear of injuries style of mentality and bring this team to a post season, KC is my vikes qb.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's statistically inaccurate nfc north since 2000, avg combined winning percentage of around .500ish check your facts.
and if you play a bunch of .500 teams, twice a year and are "half" way decent shouldn't you do better than average?

Check the numbers lol

The bears suck year after year,
Until recently the Lions were even worse.
The Pack has never been Back.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
and if you play a bunch of .500 teams, twice a year and are "half" way decent shouldn't you do better than average?

Check the numbers lol

The bears suck year after year,
Until recently the Lions were even worse.
The Pack has never been Back.
And the vikes have never won a superbowl…ever

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34