North Dakota hunting gets a boost

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]http://www.agweek.com/news/north-dakota/4007469-longtime-nd-teacher-donates-1120-acres-land-establish-wildlife-management

Longtime N.D. teacher donates 1,120 acres of land to establish Wildlife Management Area[/h] By Dustin Monke on Apr 12, 2016 at 8:59 a.m.

LEFOR -- Tucked away a few miles west of the Enchanted Highway south of Gladstone is a large and secluded tract of land where pheasants pop out of thick grassland and deer hide in tree rows that stretch for nearly a half-mile.

It’s an area soon to become Stark County’s first North Dakota Game & Fish Department Wildlife Management Area.
The 1,120 acres of land -- which consists of an adjoining section, half-section and quarter-section -- was gifted to the Game and Fish Department by Regina Roth, a longtime teacher and lover of wildlife who died in January at 84 years old.
“I wish I would have known her because I don’t know why she did it,” said Casey Anderson, the Game & Fish Department’s assistant wildlife division chief.
Anderson said one of Roth’s wishes is certain, however. It’s that she wanted to ensure the WMA was named after her parents, Adam and Theresa Raab, who homesteaded the area. Anderson said Game & Fish will be honoring that wish.
Game & Fish has yet to complete the land acquisition process and Anderson said it may take a couple years before the WMA is complete.
The department must fence the entire area, place proper signage and rework agreements with a local farmer who leases the roughly 450 acres of cropland within the future WMA.
“We’ll get boundary fences and stuff up as soon as we can. That’s kind of the first order of business,” Anderson said. “When we were talking about doing habitat work and stuff like that, the fact that there’s an ag lease that we’re going to uphold is OK. Because there’s some things that have to be done on it before we start worrying about habitat work.”
Anderson said the boundary fencing will be up by this fall’s pheasant hunting season.
“There’s going to be all kinds of opportunities down there, as far as hunting opportunities,” he said.
The original Raab farmstead -- an idyllic western North Dakota farm setting -- is also part of the land donation. It’s surrounded on the north, south and east sides by hundreds of Ponderosa pine trees and Evergreens, and there are some other outbuildings.
“She had some wishes that we try to maintain that farmstead,” Anderson said, adding that Game & Fish is still checking into what it’s legally allowed to do with the farm and house on it. “We’re not necessarily in the business of having living quarters, but we’d sure like to maintain her wishes.”
Norma Hirning, whose husband Roger farms the land inside what will become the WMA, said the entire Raab family -- including Regina and her brother Irving -- were animal lovers who cared deeply for their land.
“The entire time I’ve known those people, they’ve had a real love for animals. Whether it’s wildlife or cattle, whatever,” Hirning said.
Though Hirning said Roth was a very private person, she touched countless lives as a teacher.
After graduating from Lefor High School, Roth began teaching at a country school nearby before even obtaining her degree from what was then Dickinson State Teacher’s College. She ended up teaching first and second grades in Mott, where she also became the elementary principal, until her retirement.
There are 215 Wildlife Management Areas throughout North Dakota either managed or partially managed by Game & Fish. The WMAs are open to hunting, fishing and trapping, and are also used for hiking, primitive camping and nature study, according to the department’s website.
Of those WMAs, only around 30 are larger than the Raab Wildlife Management Area, and many of those in western North Dakota are near Lake Sakakawea and Lake Oahe.
“This is a huge gift to the sportsmen and women of North Dakota,” Anderson said. “It’s going to open a lot of opportunities for locals that need a place to hunt.”
When Anderson presented information about the WMA to the Stark County Commission last Tuesday, Commissioner Ken Zander figured the land could have brought more than $1 million on the open market.
“When you look around, there’s not too many of us -- myself included -- who would have thought of doing something like this before we or I would have cashed in, and taken the money and run,” he said. “It’s a beautiful gesture.”

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
she seems like quite the animal lover. wonder if she realized a lot of them are going to get shot?

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
she seems like quite the animal lover. wonder if she realized a lot of them are going to get shot?

She grew up around cattle and wildlife so I'm guessing she did understand the idea of managing the populations..

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunt this area, and there are some world class bucks in them giant pine trees she had around the property. She did not allow hunting on her land, she felt as though they were her pets.
I was surprised when I read this a few weeks back, as I don't think she likely wanted anyone hunting it, but maybe she did. I didn't know her, other than knocking on her door a few years back to see if we could walk the trees without our guns to try to get a few of the deer to spook out.
she kindly said "not a chance'

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way to give up the goose Juanr. You shoulda kept it on the DL, hoarded it for yourself like a true sportsman.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love to hear about more opportunity and a big THANK YOU to the late Regina Roth!! Unfortunately, that place will get pounded, rocked, racked, and stacked well before opening day of bow season this year if the deal gets finished. If not this year, then whenever the deal is done. It'll be like the great land rush of 1889. The bruisers will be long gone with the first wave of weekend warriors as they exchange fisticuffs at the bases of good stand trees, while bird hunters parade by shouting obscenities at shock collared dogs with guns a'blazing. The anti's will protest the land use and hold candlelight vigils in the parking lot while singing Kumbaya. The farmhouse will be trashed by "Antique and Treasure seekers during the first few nights and eventually have to be torn down as it will have become a meth lab and rural brothel run by illegals and outlaw biker gangs. Any grass available on flat ground will be hayed just like WPA's, the trees will be thinned out due to needing more sunlight on the ground and then die off due to pine beetle infestations from damage caused by tree stand and step installations, and the cropland will expand in the name of habitat development. After all that, the neighboring farmers will have an "Accidental" fire in an adjoining slough that will raze the entire place to the ground so they don't have to deal with the armies of idiots cutting their fences and plowing down their crops with ATV's and Trucks trying to get around that long walk to the far end of the land. How's THAT for a wet blanket piss poor attitude and generally crappy outlook on life?????? Sorry Fellas, it's the weather...................................... (Grin)

On second thought, I think it will turn into a fine opportunity for the sportsmen on ND to enjoy a little piece of heaven on earth!!!! THANK YOU AGAIN Ms. Roth!!!!!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am buddies with a few of the adjacent land owners, so I somewhat know the area.

The big fellas in there are going to get hunted by myself as soon as available, however they might already be pushed into the nearby posted areas by that time...

Nothing brings out the bad in someone like a trophy buck does.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love to hear about more opportunity and a big THANK YOU to the late Regina Roth!! Unfortunately, that place will get pounded, rocked, racked, and stacked well before opening day of bow season this year if the deal gets finished. If not this year, then whenever the deal is done. It'll be like the great land rush of 1889. The bruisers will be long gone with the first wave of weekend warriors as they exchange fisticuffs at the bases of good stand trees, while bird hunters parade by shouting obscenities at shock collared dogs with guns a'blazing. The anti's will protest the land use and hold candlelight vigils in the parking lot while singing Kumbaya. The farmhouse will be trashed by "Antique and Treasure seekers during the first few nights and eventually have to be torn down as it will have become a meth lab and rural brothel run by illegals and outlaw biker gangs. Any grass available on flat ground will be hayed just like WPA's, the trees will be thinned out due to needing more sunlight on the ground and then die off due to pine beetle infestations from damage caused by tree stand and step installations, and the cropland will expand in the name of habitat development. After all that, the neighboring farmers will have an "Accidental" fire in an adjoining slough that will raze the entire place to the ground so they don't have to deal with the armies of idiots cutting their fences and plowing down their crops with ATV's and Trucks trying to get around that long walk to the far end of the land. How's THAT for a wet blanket piss poor attitude and generally crappy outlook on life?????? Sorry Fellas, it's the weather...................................... (Grin)

On second thought, I think it will turn into a fine opportunity for the sportsmen on ND to enjoy a little piece of heaven on earth!!!! THANK YOU AGAIN Ms. Roth!!!!!!!

You forgot about the bird biologist that will want all the trees cut down so raptors won't have a place to perch.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is actually some super hard feelings about the take over of this land. There were some family members speaking at her auction the other weekend I was at. She did not want this land to be used for hunting, she thought the land would
be a wildlife refuge. Her family stated she would be rolling over in her grave if she knew anyone was hunting those critters. A few of her neighbors were also talking about it at the auction, saying there is bad blood with the game and fish with how she wanted/thought the land would be used and what it is now going to be turned into. The land is gorgeous, but everyone knows about it now. The farmstead is one of the most gorgeous places in western nd I've seen as farm as home acres are concerned. Beautiful trees.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is actually some super hard feelings about the take over of this land. There were some family members speaking at her auction the other weekend I was at. She did not want this land to be used for hunting, she thought the land would
be a wildlife refuge. Her family stated she would be rolling over in her grave if she knew anyone was hunting those critters. A few of her neighbors were also talking about it at the auction, saying there is bad blood with the game and fish with how she wanted/thought the land would be used and what it is now going to be turned into. The land is gorgeous, but everyone knows about it now. The farmstead is one of the most gorgeous places in western nd I've seen as farm as home acres are concerned. Beautiful trees.

well you could have at least said hello when you attend the same auctions as me.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

This makes me kind of sad as there's some truth to what KDM said. While I'd like to hunt it, I'd also like to have my wishes honored when I die. Nothing wrong with an OCCASIONAL wildlife sanctuary. Eventually the critters will venture off that land... Kind of torn on this.

- - - Updated - - -

well you could have at least said hello when you attend the same auctions as me.

Why didn't you two assholes team up and buy it?! Now we gotta hunt it with all the other assholes.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was there all day buddy. Bidding on a few tractors.

- - - Updated - - -

I told the wife if the farm would have been for sale we would Own it. No question about it. She even agreed. Sounds like a quarter of land is going to be going up for sale out of the acreage and money from the sale is to keep the house and farm up. At least that's what a family member said.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If HER wishes were for a wildlife sanctuary devoid of any hunting then that's what it should be. However, now that she is gone and the liars are involved, I have very little faith that the spirit of her wishes will be honored. I've gone from what a great gift to the folks of ND to Awe Crap!! However, the G&F still has the authority to put up "Not open to public hunting" signs all over the place and that would honor her wishes. Regardless of what they decide to do, you won't see me hunting that place as I'd feel "Unwelcome" to be doing so. Tough situation now more of the truth is coming to light.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If HER wishes were for a wildlife sanctuary devoid of any hunting then that's what it should be.

Absolutely, If her wish was clear to family and neighbors it should be clear to NDGF. It will be interesting to follow and see where this one goes. There is a lot of respect on the line.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe the tax-paying sportsmen and women of ND should politely suggest to NDGF that it's more important to honor the benefactor's wishes. After all, it will still be a benefit to sportsman and wildlife even if we can't hunt it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84