Oahe report Mobridge

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh and there's a big manual switch on the back of boat along with an electric switch

VoodooShaman

Used to own a Champion with a fore and aft tank. Instead of the 70 gallon tanks they have in most newer boats. Worked really well having that ballast weight up front at times.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished near the Walth Bay boat ramp last Friday. Unreal fishing. the bigger eyese were nice and shallow as well. Going out tonight for the long weekend. Weather looks crappy Friday but should improve over the weekend.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like hearing they're in shallow as we were still getting them in 25 fow

rksolid

We fished Pollock area last Thursday caught lots of eaters , keep 16" or better limited out largest was 19"

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same up here in Bismarck area, big bite is gone now all little good eaters, will be tough super low and will be worse by end of year. Brother-in-law has contractor friend has nice house in Mobridge rents out we go midsummer and really late for big girls in fall always fun. Tight lines save some of fish, so they migrate here in spring to spawn.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same up here in Bismarck area, big bite is gone now all little good eaters, will be tough super low and will be worse by end of year. Brother-in-law has contractor friend has nice house in Mobridge rents out we go midsummer and really late for big girls in fall always fun. Tight lines save some of fish, so they migrate here in spring to spawn.
walleyes on oahe dont really migrate the way every one thought they did. The tagging study showed that. Lot more info on it just a small snippet

For the most part, the study has shown that the walleye between Garrison and Oahe dams are homebodies. "Of the fish that we have tagged thus far that anglers have reported back to us, about 55 percent have moved 10 miles or less from where they were tagged," Bailey said.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember that study. I caught a few of the tagged ones, even a $100 tag. One of my fish caught in Yates was tagged in Grand River just a few weeks earlier. While I commend their efforts, I'm not sure their conclusions are as accurate as they think based on the data and procedures of the study. I'd like to have a discussion with the biologists on the data. I have questions.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know its anecdotal but the three tagged walleyes we've caught in the past few years have all been 15-25 miles from where they were originally tagged. All had been originally tagged in the spring during spawning, and then moved south where I caught them during the summer, which lends to the idea that fish are actually moving up system a bit to spawn and then back down system for the summer.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think to argue that they don't migrate to some degree is ridiculous. The best of fishermen would have a hard time putting together a 4 pound average in town right now whereas a month ago it was no problem and higher. Do those fish just sit around now and not bite? Sure their habits change some where they aren't as vulnerable up shallow but it's pretty obvious they're not here in nearly the numbers. Not to mention places like the Rainy river in MN it is pretty established there is a 'spring run' out of the LOW up the river.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
To some extent they move but not the mass migration that was thought fish from bismark ended up down by pierre or even to mobridge . 10 nautical miles if you measure it out on the lake covers alot of distance

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
To some extent they move but not the mass migration that was thought fish from bismark ended up down by pierre or even to mobridge . 10 nautical miles if you measure it out on the lake covers alot of distance
I think the whole mass migration from SD was more of a thing you guys thought up to accuse us of catching your slot fish up here during the spawn, kind of like when you claimed people from Bis were coming down and raiding your grocery stores and knocking up your women during covid.;)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
One factor is that a lot of fish were caught soon after they were released. Another was the fish size, most were 15 "

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do migrate some I have friends in Fish and Game that do creel survey and studies. I to have caught some tagged fish and they travel 30 to 50 miles. Caught one up on Sakakawea by Beulah Bay was tag by New Town. I agree can't catch a 8 pound up by Bismarck all damn summer.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't been out since Wed but all reports I'm getting are limits of decent fish, even in the Yates area.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fished Friday through Sunday. Put in at West Pollock and went north. Stayed in SD in 10-25' with BB and spinners (crawlers and leeches) 2 of us kept 4 Friday, limited Saturday and then yesterday we only fished to noon and kept 4. Nothing under 16" went in the live well with 3 total being over 20" all weekend. It was slow to OK.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's been a while but my recollection of reading that study was that the fish were tagged in the spring around the same time as they were being caught and reported. They would need to tag on Oahe in late summer or fall for such a study to confirm big fish in Bismarck caught during spring swam upstream like walleye do in every river system I'm aware of.

Bad science = bad conclusions. Anyone claiming those fish don't move is a hack or a liar. The Sakakawea tagging study showed big fish moving over 50 miles in one month (April to June) from a bay in the river segment down to main lake. I have 2 of the certificates from NDGF showing this.

Rainy River. Maumee River. Fox River. It doesn't take an advanced biology degree to know fish of many species run up river to spawn. How a person holding such a degree could say otherwise is baffling.

leier12

walleyes on oahe dont really migrate the way every one thought they did. The tagging study showed that. Lot more info on it just a small snippet

For the most part, the study has shown that the walleye between Garrison and Oahe dams are homebodies. "Of the fish that we have tagged thus far that anglers have reported back to us, about 55 percent have moved 10 miles or less from where they were tagged," Bailey said.
All 5 tagged walleye ive caught on the River in Bismarck 4 out of the 5 were at heskett like 5 years ago were tagged in SD. The one that was a ND tagged fish was tagged the previous year in the same area around the same time i caught the fish. So, their conclusion fish dont migrate is more than 10 miles is BS.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been a while but my recollection of reading that study was that the fish were tagged in the spring around the same time as they were being caught and reported. They would need to tag on Oahe in late summer or fall for such a study to confirm big fish in Bismarck caught during spring swam upstream like walleye do in every river system I'm aware of.

Bad science = bad conclusions. Anyone claiming those fish don't move is a hack or a liar. The Sakakawea tagging study showed big fish moving over 50 miles in one month (April to June) from a bay in the river segment down to main lake. I have 2 of the certificates from NDGF showing this.

Rainy River. Maumee River. Fox River. It doesn't take an advanced biology degree to know fish of many species run up river to spawn. How a person holding such a degree could say otherwise is baffling.
^^^THIS^^^ They were releasing them and they were getting caught soon after. One I caught in Yates was tagged in Grand River by Mobridge just a few weeks before.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46