Observations

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well played my friend

For the record, I do alot of work at low income housing in Fargo and it does make me shake my head at the number of newer high end cars parked out front, and the electronics inside such as giant flat screen tvs and stuff. Good for them I suppose..?

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drive a 1997 F150. I love the payments lol. I'm going to buy a boat soon I hope, It will be worth way more than my pickup. Why should I go buy a new truck when my 20 year old one does everything I need? I could go buy a nice shinny new one anytime. So I'll be that guy with the nice boat and old truck. One way too look at it is like this, where would you rather break down, on land or water? I know that when on water I want DEPENDABLE.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carried my original 12 gauge for 25 yrs, because the old bps got the job done. My hunting boots are 10yrs old, my ProV is a 2007 model, it still catches fish. But when I feel like getting the next want, money is an afterthought. I am not a rich man, not even close but at different times in my life I have purchased high ticket items all the while having socks that might have holes in them. I have gone to a steakhouse and had a house cut, and other times had the ribeye.
My point being the guy driving the old shit pickup pulling a 70,000 boat might be choosing to, might be boat broke, or might not give a shit about what others think about it either way. I drink ice cold Busch lights, not because I can’t afford Stella, but because I am able to see at this point in my life I have no ego to prove me status with anyone’s perception of my bank account

- - - Updated - - -

As I type this I have a garage full of toys, a few motorcycles, boat, camper, hot wife, and a 30 rack of Ice cold Busch lights in the fridge. Life is short. Enjoy when and where you can

i have eaten spam too

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to wonder the same kind of things. Then it occurred to me it must be what makes that guy happy, even if its not what I would do. Its all perspective, 70k pickup and 5k boat or 5k pickup and 70k boat. I for one shudder at the price tag on a new pickup but if my dream boat was 100k and I felt it was worth the money I would be happy to pay it. For those that care or wonder if its paid for or not, what the hell does that matter? Here is another perspective. If said purchase was 50k and you had the 50k, but you chose to finance and keep adding to your 50k. Especially if the interest is minimal to nonexistent. Is that strange?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let my wife drive the nice shit. 8 year old Yukon xl. Lol. Hard to justify upgrading when what you got does everything you need without having to make payments. I feel so strongly on this subject, I just dished out 2k to the body shop to get rid of the rust on that thing. Figure if she is gonna drive it 5 to 20 more years, it best look purdy at least. That 2k is only 2.5 to 3 months worth of payments on a new(er) one. Don't even get me started on my 04 dodge quad w topper and 320k. That thing still does everything I need from a truck for practically free. The rust on it is a bit over the top though. Between the 2, I assume I am saving 1000 to 1500 per month

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, with the mileage deduction on the dodge, that thing probably makes me $.

Last edited:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone has different priorities and shouldnt be shunned for it.

My wife and I choose to travel little and I have pretty much given up on hunting. We, however, do spend 3-5 days a week on the water together from ice out to ice up. It is what we choose to do. I do not pay cash for boats (like many here seem to); but figure my payments for the year are less than a 7 day trip most anywhere. We have just as many memories as well and get to order a new boat every year.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vehicles get you from point A to point B. Whether it is new or old if it works well and works for you who gives a rats ass what others think. :;:rockit

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to wonder the same kind of things. Then it occurred to me it must be what makes that guy happy, even if its not what I would do. Its all perspective.

The above is probably the best lesson one can learn from this topic. If the OP and some others learn from this thread and it saves them from having a public "Open mouth, insert foot" moment, or a horribly embarrassing case of "Judging a book by it's cover" then by all means, the thread has been worth it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess the guy pulling a high buck boat with an old truck probably paid cash for the boat!

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^ If I take a loan out on my boat, it won't be for much!!

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I was young, I worried about what people thought of me, later I didn't care what folks thought of me, and then later still, I discovered people weren't thinking about me anyway.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was young, I worried about what people thought of me, later I didn't care what folks thought of me, and then later still, I discovered people weren't thinking about me anyway.

This one ^^^^^, is the light bulb going on. I too have figured out that most people don't care about what I do. Not only should I not care about their perceptions of me, but I used to spend more time thinking about what they're thinking about me, than thinking about what I was actually doing.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I max out my 401k every year, trade pickups every 3 years and buy gently used toys for a solid discount over new. Only payment I make is a mortgage payment. I'll take 3-4% money and write off the interest any day. Only place you can do that.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
At an early age in life, my father said "you do not finance toys, if you do not have the money for it, you should not buy it". For me, this motto has stuck in my head. I weighed the pros and cons of paying for my new boat vs. financing, and came to the conclusion of I can pay cash for the boat, make a "monthly payment" to my account and not have to pay interest. In the big picture I believe I will be money ahead in the end. Yes, I wont make any interest on the money spent, But I also cant "lose" any if the market crashes.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
The newest vehicle or toy I own is my 06 proV I have a 98 suv hunting vehicle 02 truck and 2 grocery getters 05 van 04 suv for the wife bought everything during the boom when I was working allot now everything is paid for I don't work near as much and enjoy life to each their own I like working less with no payments I don't mind having older things as long as you take care of them they will last

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't have to explain my purchases to anyone. I pay my bills and if I want to buy something and I can afford it I buy it. I have worked extra side jobs to afford those purchases. I figure I might as well enjoy life and have the things I want within my financial means because they cant bury you with your money. I don't have kids so it also allows me more freedom. I see many working themselves to death so their children have any easy ride through life and the kids don't even appreciate it. Let those kids make it on their own for the most part and they will learn how to respect the money they earn and become successful. Sure they will fall on their face a few times but they will learn how to earn a living.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My q is who is buying all these campers. U see a gazillion on the lots for sale in inventory.

PS I seen two boats yesterday downtown access Fargo. Looked like they just trailered up. Tracks to the boat ramp next to the lowhead dam. Both big I think one sparkled too. Storming like a sob

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84