Open carry in ND

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was pretty close, pasted below here is the section referring to open carry, one needs to refer to the terms "secured" and "unloaded" definitions and descriptions if one is not a CCW permit holder.

CHAPTER 62.1-03 - HANDGUNS
62.1-03-01. Carrying handgun - Restrictions - Exceptions.
1. A handgun may not be carried unless by an individual not otherwise prohibited and if:
>>>>> Snip <<<<<
m. Any common carrier, but only when carrying the handgun as part of the cargo in the usual cargo carrying portion of the vehicle.

I read through that 3 times, it's about as clear as mud to me. Do you think calling GnF tomorrow and asking would help clear things up or maybe the State Police?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
i disagree that just cause it ain't hot its just a club. it certainly isn't the same as loaded. but, it literally takes me 1.3 seconds to rack one. i will take an unloaded firearm on my hip any day of the week over a club or knife or my worthless fisteses.

Must be Army...:)

- - - Updated - - -

I read through that 3 times, it's about as clear as mud to me. Do you think calling GnF tomorrow and asking would help clear things up or maybe the State Police?

Probably "no".

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member

Open carry is basically reserved for law enforcement officials and active military operations and personally only on ones private property or anothers private property with permission or hunting, target practice ect. One can not open carry in general public even with a CCW for general carry.
ND is not an open carry state per say but the next legislative session Rick Becker and others are going to try and change that to allow open carry or basically push for more constitutional gun rights and loosen the laws even more that were expanded last session.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Open carry is basically reserved for law enforcement officials and active military operations and personally only on ones private property or anothers private property with permission or hunting, target practice ect. One can not open carry in general public even with a CCW for general carry.
ND is not an open carry state per say but the next legislative session Rick Becker and others are going to try and change that to allow open carry or basically push for more constitutional gun rights and loosen the laws even more that were expanded last session.

So, I can open carry while hunting with a loaded handgun?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

You have nothing to worry about, you're going to draw the non-resident deer tag up here about as often as you can plan on drawing the antelope tag down there.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

The way it was explained to me was if it's during regular deer gun season it has to meet the requirements as a legal weapon for harvesting deer. You can carry any handgun when bowhunting ( mountain lion protection).

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You have nothing to worry about, you're going to draw the non-resident deer tag up here about as often as you can plan on drawing the antelope tag down there.

Thanks! rotflmfao ;:;rofl

Looks like it's never going to happen then.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have questions, I would suggest taking the CCW course, and asking a certified instructor. Like a lot of topics online, there are opinions, wishes, and hopes inserted here.

Personally, I will get my answers straight from the horse's mouth.

Probably the last word in anything concealed carry law, in ND (not necessarily OPEN CARRY), can be found at the Attorney General's site.

www.ag.nd.gov

Click on the Concealed Weapon Licenses tab.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

While I don't recommend it, open carry is permitted if you have a CWL. See NDCC 62.1-03-01, subsections 1 & 2-a

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t62-1c03.pdf

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
CHAPTER 62.1-03 HANDGUNS
62.1-03-01. Carrying handgun - Restrictions - Exceptions. 1. A handgun may not be carried unless by an individual not otherwise prohibited and if: a. Between the hours of one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset, the handgun is unloaded and either in plain view or secured. b. Between the hours of one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise, the handgun is unloaded and secured. 2. The restrictions provided in subdivisions a and b of subsection 1 do not apply to: a. An individual possessing a valid concealed weapons license from this state or who has reciprocity under section 62.1-04-03.1. b. An individual on that person's land, or in that individual's permanent or temporary residence, or fixed place of business. c. An individual while lawfully engaged in target shooting. d. An individual while in the field engaging in the lawful pursuit of hunting or trapping. However, nothing in this exception authorizes the carrying of a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle. e. An individual permitted by law to possess a firearm while carrying the handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to that person's home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back from those locations. f. Any North Dakota law enforcement officer. g. Any law enforcement officer of any other state or political subdivision of another state if on official duty within this state. h. Any armed security guard or investigator as authorized by law when on duty or going to or from duty. i. Any member of the armed forces of the United States when on duty or going to or from duty and when carrying the handgun issued to the member. j. Any member of the national guard, organized reserves, state defense forces, or state guard organizations, when on duty or going to or from duty and when carrying the handgun issued to the member by the organization. k. Any officer or employee of the United States duly authorized to carry a handgun. l. An individual engaged in manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in handguns or the agent or representative of that individual possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business. m. Any common carrier, but only when carrying the handgun as part of the cargo in the usual cargo carrying portion of the vehicle.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a CF. The way they write things, is they can make your actions legal or illegal depending on the kind of day the LEO, lawyer, judge etc. is having. I took the class, read the laws, have the permits, and still don't know for sure when/where/how you can carry. Best bet would be to conceal it and don't let anyone know you have it. If you don't ever have to use it, none of the laws should come into question.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep one in my pickup, and little run around car. they are in the jockey box, loaded. I have my CCW, and have been pulled over by the police, its never been an issue.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep one in my pickup, and little run around car. they are in the jockey box, loaded. I have my CCW, and have been pulled over by the police, its never been an issue.

Same here, but still working on my CCW....

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

My plan too. I will never open carry, and very rarely concealed, never in public. I fish alone and at night, and in the boonies often enough to where I don't think it's a bad idea. The other part of having a CC permit is that I don't have to be as worried about where the weapon is in my vehicle.

Wife is going to take the course as well, as she sometimes drives my vehicle.

Someone told me once, that concealed carry, or open carry for that matter, is about being prepared. It's not about being paranoid. You don't have a spare tire on your vehicle because you're paranoid about flats. You're just prepared for it.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What a CF. The way they write things, is they can make your actions legal or illegal depending on the kind of day the LEO, lawyer, judge etc. is having. I took the class, read the laws, have the permits, and still don't know for sure when/where/how you can carry. Best bet would be to conceal it and don't let anyone know you have it. If you don't ever have to use it, none of the laws should come into question.

Thanks, I think this is my plan unless I'm hunting.

Do you guys have to notify the cops you have a gun in the vehicle?

We don't have to here unless the cop asks.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would/will tell a cop about it, if I'm stopped for any reason. Cops hate surprises. I don't blame them one little bit. I have nothing to hide, so I will gladly let them know about a weapon.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been pulled over a few times and have always let them know. One officer even complimented my handgun

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17