Opinion On Soaking Game

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Always leave my pheasant breast soak in salt water over night to get more blood out. LB

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont soak only if really bloody than put in pail and fill top with ice.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never have understood why people put wild game thru all these processes. Or cook them to shoe leather then throw them in cream of mushroom soup to try to soften them up and mask the flavor. Yuck! Deer is supposed to taste like deer. Duck is supposed to taste like duck. If you don't like how it tastes don't shoot it! IMO most people way over cook their wild game and that's why it tastes like shit. Do you burn a good steak too? WTF! Meat should be lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and seared to medium rare for the best flavor imo.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never have understood why people put wild game thru all these processes. Or cook them to shoe leather then throw them in cream of mushroom soup to try to soften them up and mask the flavor. Yuck! Deer is supposed to taste like deer. Duck is supposed to taste like duck. If you don't like how it tastes don't shoot it! IMO most people way over cook their wild game and that's why it tastes like shit. Do you burn a good steak too? WTF! Meat should be lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and seared to medium rare for the best flavor imo.
When someone tells me they don’t like the taste of elk or venison it’s too “ gamey” . My mind Immediately wants to say “ so you suck at cooking huh?”
I would put a properly aged and cooked elk backstrap against beef cut any day.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my expierence with venison the only "Gamey" tasting meat was cut and wrapped bone in . It happened a couple times when I was busy working and had my deer processed. Every other deer Iv'e boned out and absolutly no "Gamey" or "wild" taste at all.

Happycamper

Honored Member
always get a kick out of people who complain about grouse and pronghorns as table fare. Both seasons are generally during hot weather. carrying a shot grouse in the vest all day allowing it to stew in its own juices or pronghorns shot and left with the skin on makes for some nasty eating. but if the birds are drawn and the pronghorn is skinned and both are put on ice asap the flavor is wonderfull.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My ex wife while rinsing hair of the antelope said this stuff is dissolving when I am rinsing it off , cooked up some back strap steaks and said this is way better than beef, said that was probably the best steak she ever had. Paddlefish not so much

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
My ex wife while rinsing hair of the antelope said this stuff is dissolving when I am rinsing it off , cooked up some back strap steaks and said this is way better than beef, said that was probably the best steak she ever had. Paddlefish not so much
Since it was the EX, was she getting her steak somewhere else? :(

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11