Paid Patriotism?!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you guys know that DOD PAID the NHL, MLB, and NFL for first pitches, puck drops, color guards etc. "honoring" military service in recent years???!!!

What in the #$@& have we become???

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure it's in their marketing budget. Why they have a nascar for how much those run a week is beyond me.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those team owners should return that fee with interest, and ask every fan for forgiveness while kissing their own asses

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the teams, leagues, citizenry were making it happen out of respect/gratitude. I didn't realize the military had to pay for military personnel to be honored.

It's screwy - akin to paying a woman to date you. You'd hope actual admiration would be enough motivation... Not $$$.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old news. It's marketing just like the commercials on tv. There are no more military sponsorship in NASCAR this year because John McCain threw a Shit fit he is also the one who exposed this. Good thing that dumb bastard tackles the tough topics in Washington..........

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got to go.to a Oklahoma college football game for free or so I thought either way better to spend the money on getting those folks into.events than ebt for the none working turds.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, it's not marketing like commercials. I have zero beef with army, navy, marines paying for advertising recruitment commercials where it's an obvious commercial. I resent it being portrayed as something else, which is what was done IMO. It's not the $$$, it's the deception/principle behind it.

whatever... One more element of pride in our society I can flush.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been doing this for years where has the out rage been for the past..... can't really put this on society as that's not far to the masses to be judged on the actions of 100 owners of pro sports teams. Even at that I bet some of those guys give more.to veterans charities than most make here in 10 years. The way I look at it me and the other military.guys got.to go.to.stuff for.free as in it wasn't out of.our pocket. I would.rather energy be used to fix the va than worry about petty Shit like this.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are paying your wife / significant other. you just may not understand how. deep thought for day

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The free tickets to military don't bother me one bit. It's the portrayal as something else. It's paying a team to turn around and honor the very entity that paid it to do so. On field ceremonies etc. were paid performances - rather than goodwill offers of tribute. That's just abhorant to me on some level.

you have your perspective, I have mine I guess

it's old news and small scale to you, I get that - but I just heard about it, OK?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/05/dod-slammed-for-millions-spent-on-paid-patriotism-at-sporting-events/

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got to go.to a Oklahoma college football game for free or so I thought either way better to spend the money on getting those folks into.events than ebt for the none working turds.

Yea, saved a lot of ebt bucks...

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sports, especially the NFL are untouchable. They know that. They can cheat, rape, murder, and abuse and they will just keep gaining in popularity. When the public claims they will vote with how they spend their money the NFL especially is the exception. Zero integrity and they know they don't need any either. Doesn't matter if the entire fan base hears about this and gets angry about it, they won't see a decline in fans one bit.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
The free tickets to military don't bother me one bit. It's the portrayal as something else. It's paying a team to turn around and honor the very entity that paid it to do so. On field ceremonies etc. were paid performances - rather than goodwill offers of tribute. That's just abhorant to me on some level.

you have your perspective, I have mine I guess

it's old news and small scale to you, I get that - but I just heard about it, OK?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-spent-on-paid-patriotism-at-sporting-events/

I agree with guy. I'm not mad at the dod for paying we all need to show support. I'm more disappointed in the league's for not stepping up and doing it for free. I wonder if it's not more of a money londering tax break for the owners well pay you probably tax free and you donate giving them a double tax break.

I was working for a insurance company that was very publicly making lofty goals to hire veterans. A good portion of this company's buisness was the tricare contracts. They were bragging about exeeding there commitment to hire veterans but on the other side laying off more employees then they were hiring. Now said company is being bought out.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
On top of the SHITTY owners accepting/forcing pay to have military personnel at sporting events, I'm equally as pod that somehow this is ok way of spending taxpayer money. I know, I know, there's a million other shit ways our fearless leaders blow our hard earned coin but this is just another one thrown on the pile. I really don't care how long it's been going on for, this is the first I've heard of it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not military in anyway shape or form but it seems like a slap in the face to those that have served / are serving

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in never was in the Shit but from.talking to friends who were the real slap in the face would be the ROE they have to follow because of some.dumb fuck politician.

- - - Updated - - -

You know what should really piss people off school and people have to work on veterans day. What is this world coming to ............

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be at work on Veterans Day, but I don't do a damn thing. Meet up with my old man and a couple other vets I grew up with for lunch and end the day with a beer and listening to some stories. I do believe schools are out for Veterans Day though.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I close my office, and my kids don't have school. We will be heading to Houston on veterans day to visit my veteran brother in law.
Our military isn't a dog and pony show. Excepting their sacrifices apparently is not payment enough for billionaire team owners and a bunch of over paid "athletes"

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kid has school. I remember having the day off going.to.veterans service with my grandpa who was in ww2 and Korea and then him taking me hunting.

In the day and age we live in a week this.will be off the radar as the sucide rate of veterans climbs to an astronomical rate. Then you have orgs like wounded warrior that spend the majority of donated money on "administrative fees".........

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not a big fan of military recruiting commercials either. They should have to do like the drug companies and list some of the negatives associated with military service, with that fast reading guy at the end. "Military service may cause permanent mental and physical disabilities. One of the most frequent side effects of military service is DEATH!".....

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 39
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14