Possible collector?

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Came across a 2005 chevrolet SSR the other day,2005,6lit/super charged,over 1000hp 7k miles,limited build for 3 years,rare to see one on the road,it's a corvette with a trunk...

thinking it might be a long term investment,but I would end up running the wheels off it,miss my old mor-par these days,thoughts?
ssr5.jpg

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most car collectors don't buy anything unless they're getting a deal on it, and that vehicle probably has a very limited number of potential buyers, something to keep in mind for selling time. What I see going crazy now is 70s-90s square body Ford n Chevy pickups. 99.9% of vehicle purchases are a bad investment, unless you can restore them yourself, or bought any vehicle pre-covid before the value of used cars skyrocketed. Right now is a horrible time to buy or repair any vehicle.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't care how much horse power that thing has, it is ugly AF. hard NO for me

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most car collectors don't buy anything unless they're getting a deal on it, and that vehicle probably has a very limited number of potential buyers, something to keep in mind for selling time. What I see going crazy now is 70s-90s square body Ford n Chevy pickups. 99.9% of vehicle purchases are a bad investment, unless you can restore them yourself, or bought any vehicle pre-covid before the value of used cars skyrocketed. Right now is a horrible time to buy or repair any vehicle.

Good/valid points MSA....Pretty sure my little buddy "mofo" was sitting on my shoulder whispering "buy it",good thing I didn't drive it.

Hmmm square body trucks eh?,,,I remember working on machinery hill at our state fair in 1988,sniffin around the all new chevrolet 1500 truck,first year GM put a fork in they're square body rust bucket trucks,farmers were herd bitching how GM screwed up changing the body style etc,been years since I seen a 87 or prior year chevy pickem-up truck,from exploding fuel tanks to winter road salt,seems they all dissappeared or rusted away.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Came across a 2005 chevrolet SSR the other day,2005,6lit/super charged,over 1000hp 7k miles,limited build for 3 years,rare to see one on the road,it's a corvette with a trunk...

thinking it might be a long term investment,but I would end up running the wheels off it,miss my old mor-par these days,thoughts?
u4vzSQlxJKIs.jpeg

Any cheap vehicle with an LS would be a good buy but good luck finding any vehicle for a reasonable price!

- - - Updated - - -

The old rusty square bodies are going for good prices? Or restored ones? I get it on the old blazers and broncos but the old pickups no way!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rusty or restored, they're going for stupid prices

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Everytime I would see a SSR, I would comment on how damn ugly they were.
LOL....BBJ,I suppose iffin one doesn't see them on a regular basis,but after driving one years back whether the hard top up or down,sitting in ,driving that baby running thru the gears you forget about ugly,it's pure enjoyment,the speed,how it handles,quiet unless you get your foot in to it,then the nice crack from factory dual exhaust,but that's my take,can't see ugly in the driver seat.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20220602_152904.jpgfather in law just gave me this. Used it a a spray truck. 56k miles. Need a tailgate

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first vehicle was an 86 Silverado with a 305 and an automatic this same color. Called her "The Candy Cane". Lots of fond memories in that truck!

1708635753167.pngfather inlaw just gave me this. Used it a a spray truck. 56k miles. Need a tailgate

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1708635753167.pngfather in law just gave me this. Used it a a spray truck. 56k miles. Need a tailgate

mid 80's? she's in darn good shape,I see it has "saddle" fuel tanks(be careful) and really rare manuel lock-outs,curious if the front lock-outs are from "warn locks" last of the mechanical 4x4 lock-outs,solid front axel

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I about died, that past two winters, and Barrett Jackson in Phoenix. The pricing on old square body trucks and Harvesters, Broncos, Blazers, is nuts.

I'm 52. Any car that was cool, and too expensive for me when I was in my teens, is now big bucks.

But they are restored vehicles.

And not custom jobs. Anything that's not stock, goes for way less money. Same goes for 60's, 70's muscle cars. Anything not original, is considered custom. And Custom is a wide variety. But custom means way less money than original.

If you're looking to buy something, because you think one day it's going to be big money, then now is not the time. If you're looking to buy a fast/hot vehicle, because you simply want one, then there's no better time than when you have the money.

This SSR thing has never appealed to me, but if it's rare, it could eventually be worth something more. If you don't drive it. This '05 with 7K miles on it, has probably spent most of its time in the garage. That's how they become worth big bucks. Honestly, 7K is already plenty, on a car that you want the value to skyrocket. I have a bud with cars that age, with less than 200 miles on them. I personally would have a hard time not driving them, but their value is going up and up, and he's just sitting on them.

Just looked up the specs on this one. The 6.0 liter makes 390 hp, and 405 ft lbs of twist. Not bad for what it is. Plenty enough to spin the tires on a 2WD vehicle. A far shot from 1000 hp though. Not sure how much supercharging adds, but...

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed JK,I better slow down,everytime I get few extra $$ I suddenly think I'm rich dentist from "Lapaz Mexico"I need a toy like this like a hole in my head.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
mid 80's? she's in darn good shape,I see it has "saddle" fuel tanks(be careful) and really rare manuel lock-outs,curious if the front lock-outs are from "warn locks" last of the mechanical 4x4 lock-outs
81. 350 3/4 ton 4 speed. It has Warn lockers. She's a 15 footer with some hail damage. Biggest thing right now is the fact that the mice have chewed up all the wiring and my age and arthritis makes it tough to lay on the floorboards. Only one of the saddle tanks work.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
fj,I here ya about age,my knees are shot making working underneath my vehicles on my back on a creeper has me feeling like a turtle stuck on it's back trying to get upright.The old "C20" truck,even more rare,350 4 barrel carb were few,about early 80's GM phased out the 350's,federal fuel mandates (EPA) new vehicle fuel economy requirements,two GM engines for a few years,305 v-8 and a inline 6 banger.

Today I'm seeing limited engine availability in GM's product line,new for 2023 1500 trucks and suv's (suburbans/taco's) GM phased out the 6.2lit v-8 also no v-8's for cargo vans for 2023,WTF!

now GM is pushing a turbo 4cyc,small 3lit duramax diesel engine and of course the 5.3lit v-8 on they're lite duty trucks.

pretty sure GM's electric truck will bomb out,so far national dealer allocation for GM's ev 1500 p/u is 15k to be built in 2024 (but this could change) and GM has 140k buyers on a waiting list.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84