Property Tax Credit

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t know and I had that same question myself. Being they completely butchered and molested the medicinal mary Jane bill I’d imagine they have that authority 🤷‍♂️
I am along the lines with you where I believe they could place laws surrounding it if passed.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
The most equitable way this measure would help everyone is through a primary residence only situation. If all property would be untaxed then those with the most would stand to gain the most and those with the least gain the least. I hate taxes as much as anyone but in our rage against the machine let’s not blow off our left nut while unholstering our gun……

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I say vote it in and press legislatures to say primary residence only….if this doesn’t pass you think your property taxes are high now..you just wait. I talked with an assessor and was told don’t expect values to ever go down(as in lower taxes) or stay level. If local city won’t bring in the money for city/state the person said the state will ax local accessors and they will do it. Person also said if that happens the appeal process is pretty much out the window. A good way to eliminate all this BS is to pass it and the legislature can put some guidelines on it as they are the ones to answer to the people…or should anyways.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Corporations have already bought up many residential neighborhoods and no property tax might drive more sales but they have already bought all they can.

I would suggest you greatly underestimate the ability of businesses to take advantage of any tax change. They will maximize any advantage they can find.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The main problem with property taxes is assessment. If local governments can't pass a measure to raise mills for this or that, they just "reassess" your property, and all of a sudden it's worth 20% more.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would suggest you greatly underestimate the ability of businesses to take advantage of any tax change. They will maximize any advantage they can find.
Do you take advantage of any tax incentives or deductions ?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you remove it on "primary residence" only, then one of two things happen... or both...

1. your neighbor pays for your services.
2. they simply assess you a "fee" and you end up paying it in another way. but, if they assess the fee and you don't pay, how do you think they are going to collect it? answer: get a judgment and come after your equity. ie... your house. the only difference being that the fee isn't tied to the value of your home. more than likely lot size or some shit. which i am probably ok with.

on the state's role... the state requires that values be within X% of actual value and that they are assessed on a regular basis. there is a good reason for that. if township Y assesses regularly and is actually honest about it and township X in the same county does assess on a regular basis and pretends like everything is worthless when they do, then township Y is paying a disproportionate amount of the tax in that county. so, it simply makes sense that every taxing entity be required to play by the same rules in that regard.

as far as not liking the fact that your home's value keeps going up, that is an issue you can take up with your local assessor.... not the state.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am going to break down one specific example cause it is specific to my rural situation... gravel road grading

currently the county grades the roads and the township pays the county $X/per mile graded or per time or some shit like that. a portion of my property taxes currently go to that cost. how does that get paid without property tax? options:

state pays and the township has to go to the state every year and ask for the money. but, where is the state getting that money? seems we are passing my gravel grading costs onto someone else.

you keep it local and the township assesses a fee directly to its property owners... $X per/acre owned maybe? and its not tied to valuation. i can get behind that. but, guess what? they could do that already if they wanted to. there is nothing currently stopping your local taxing entity from recouping costs for certain services via fees instead of mils if they wanted to. go to your township meetings and bring it up. either way, its going to get paid and if you don't pay, they are coming for your home or money in your bank.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you remove it on "primary residence" only, then one of two things happen... or both...

2. they simply assess you a "fee" and you end up paying it in another way. but, if they assess the fee and you don't pay, how do you think they are going to collect it? answer: get a judgment and come after your equity. ie... your house. the only difference being that the fee isn't tied to the value of your home. more than likely lot size or some shit. which i am probably ok with.

on the state's role... the state requires that values be within X% of actual value and that they are assessed on a regular basis. there is a good reason for that. if township Y assesses regularly and is actually honest about it and township X in the same county does assess on a regular basis and pretends like everything is worthless when they do, then township Y is paying a disproportionate amount of the tax in that county. so, it simply makes sense that every taxing entity be required to play by the same rules in that regard.

as far as not liking the fact that your home's value keeps going up, that is an issue you can take up with your local assessor.... not the state.
One of the major flaws in the present system is the " assessed value " they use now is a fictional amount and they are basing their tax on unrealized gains, would you be ok with paying taxes yearly on your 401 K for unrealized gains ? what happens if the housing market or stock market crashes and your house or 401 K is worth 50% are they going to credit back your overpayment.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member

Just because home values keep going up doesn’t mean the mil rates need to remain the same. The local governments DO NOT NEED MORE FUNDING. They have had more and more increases in funding and it’s about time they learn how to lower costs and tighten up the budgets. They are the reason this measure got initiated!

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the major flaws in the present system is the " assessed value " they use now is a fictional amount and they are basing their tax on unrealized gains, would you be ok with paying taxes yearly on your 401 K for unrealized gains ? what happens if the housing market or stock market crashes and your house or 401 K is worth 50% are they going to credit back your overpayment.
Just wait and let the retards keep voting democrat. They are chomping at the bit to tax unrealized gains in the stock market

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eliminate all property taxes, they will figure out how and where the money will come from.
The counties and cities won't be hurting, the state will get it figured out, might take a year or two but it will be figured out and it can work.
Too many negative thoughts going into this and that is what killed it last time.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
vote the tax out.
If I benefit, but someone else benefits higher, I am not going to dump my benefit, just to screw someone else. Dumb thinking right there.
Right? People are willing to screw themselves because somebody else may benefit more than them...DUMB!

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think it’s so much of wanting to screw anyone more or less then themselves. Maybe it’s thinking of not giving up even more leverage to those who already have more leverage. Why give the wealthy even more leverage. It’s not about money. Money is fictitious. You trade leverage.
vote the tax out.
If I benefit, but someone else benefits higher, I am not going to dump my benefit, just to screw someone else. Dumb thinking right there

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And by keeping property taxes gives people leverage in what way?
I don’t think it’s so much of wanting to screw anyone more or less then themselves. Maybe it’s thinking of not giving up even more leverage to those who already have more leverage. Why give the wealthy even more leverage. It’s not about money. Money is fictitious. You trade leverage.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
And by keeping property taxes gives people leverage in what way?
Property tax on investment property or property that generates income is what I mean. I’m all for doing away with tax on primary residence regardless if it’s a trailer or a multi million dollar home. That’s equitable across the board. You do away with property tax across the board then you can bet those that have leverage will use any tax savings to leverage against those who don’t by gobbling you more. Another example is let’s say John q pickledick buys up 50k acres in the badlands and then closes it off from any instate people or hunting. What do the locals get out of it? At least if these properties are taxed now they get things paid for by large out state owners who give 2 shits about the community and only see investments. Do away with the taxes and they’ll use it to leverage even more. If anything we should incentivize local or regional ownership. Make primary residence untaxed. Cap property tax on local businesses or locally owned income generating property and double the taxes on any out of state owned properties.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you realize that the small business owners, small ranchers, and small farmers could use the extra money to survive and hopefully make a decent living, that they would save from not paying property taxes?
Don't go over thinking this like the last time this was brought up to a vote.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 26