Property Tax Credit

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I won't be overly popular but why do most keep blaming the legislature for their property tax? The legislature does not set or collect property tax. How many of you have attended your local tax assessment meetings held by schools, cities and counties every spring? Do you also attend the same budget meetings held in August/September?

As one who has worked with property taxes (schools, cities, and other government boards) I can assure you that working with the legislature for any type of funding is terribly difficult. You would think the money the state has is coming from legislators own pockets.

Local government entities are limited with the amount of mill levies that can be set and when I hear complaints about property values increasing, there are state laws that require values to be set within a percentage of actual value. Yes, if values increase your taxes may increase but that is not required. Values could increase, and the mills collected could go down resulting in no increase. Not arguing that that always happens but that is what tax equalization and budget hearings are for.

From my experience in both city government and school administration I can assure you that attendance at both of the above hearings was minimal and frequently no one attended.

Remember, the local people who set your property taxes are elected by you. They are not the legislatures you elected. I don't blame anyone for not liking property taxes but before you completely get rid of them ask yourself if letting the legislature take over that funding is going to be better. My experience is very hesitant to see that happen.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I won't be overly popular but why do most keep blaming the legislature for their property tax? The legislature does not set or collect property tax. How many of you have attended your local tax assessment meetings held by schools, cities and counties every spring? Do you also attend the same budget meetings held in August/September?

As one who has worked with property taxes (schools, cities, and other government boards) I can assure you that working with the legislature for any type of funding is terribly difficult. You would think the money the state has is coming from legislators own pockets.

Local government entities are limited with the amount of mill levies that can be set and when I hear complaints about property values increasing, there are state laws that require values to be set within a percentage of actual value. Yes, if values increase your taxes may increase but that is not required. Values could increase, and the mills collected could go down resulting in no increase. Not arguing that that always happens but that is what tax equalization and budget hearings are for.

From my experience in both city government and school administration I can assure you that attendance at both of the above hearings was minimal and frequently no one attended.

Remember, the local people who set your property taxes are elected by you. They are not the legislatures you elected. I don't blame anyone for not liking property taxes but before you completely get rid of them ask yourself if letting the legislature take over that funding is going to be better. My experience is very hesitant to see that happen.
I have attended those meetings and it's like beating my head against the wall. You all say the same exact things but never take the peoples complaints seriously and continue to spend spend spend and raise raise raise evaluations, mills and in turn taxes. People are seriously fed up with it and if you won't listen then what other option do we have? Even when people get voted out the morons getting in do the same damn shit. It's time for a revolt!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
What ND Sportsman said. No matter what you say at these counsel meetings it seems to fall on deaf ears. Could just as well have a sign on the door stating "come say your piece of mind BUT we will do as we please anyhow". 🤬

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have and do serve. When the property taxes go up mine also go up.
Retire and income is fixed mainly SS.

But city, school or whatever needs to provide for certain basic needs of its citizens. Those cost tend to go up in cost every year. It is either take away those needs or meet the cost of the same basic needs of the people. As it is we are falling behind with our keeping our city up To date.
For those who feel the need to cut basic needs like police, fire, streets. water, ect i guess i can go down that route. If you have a better idea than cut to meet raising costs, please come see me with your ideas.
I also have no desire to complete with Fargo and like cities for our share of the pie you feel Bismark has. I am sure we will come out behind their flood control needs, new building and their other wants.
I will listen and give you a chance to air your plans along with going with them. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Right now, are streets are crab. Been fixing here and there as we can afford. But in the ground we have cast iron pipes for sewer and lead pipes for water.

A few years ago, it was 15 million to fix and now 25 million. To fix all, the property tax will increase $2,100 for each parcel. Many cannot afford and those few that could are not willing to pay.
So a plan of increasing tax $300 on each parcel for the next 20 years along with some grants and a 1% sale tax increase to fix the pipes below the ground. That would leave gravel and old asphalt for our streets. Not sure how if ever that will be fix.

Will it pass a vote of the people? In the past it has not.
If not, then we drink water from lead pipes and fix cast iron pipes as they break. But maybe someone not on the council has a plan.
Streets will continue with their holes.
I am sure Bismark will not allocate money to us to fix as they need funds for flood control. db

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Taxes were kept in check in many locations. Then back in the late 90’s the state came forwarded and told the counties to get their assessments up to where they should be or they’d do it for them. So here we are. Soon as the counties got a taste of that cash they were addicts and it exploded since then. To fix this will take the legislature, which they’re not willing to do, so the people will do it. When your elected officials keep giving you the middle finger this is what happens

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tax values put on property by the tax assuror have many problems. Most are below their real value while others are overvalued.

When based on actual sale price the problems came out. The assuror was told to correct this by the state. increasing values does not mean an increase in one's taxes as the mill amount will decrease to bring in the same funds needed to run the city, school, countries. Now if the council does not decrease the mills, then that is a problem. It all goes back to the budget and that is when one needs to get involve. db

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have attended those meetings and it's like beating my head against the wall. You all say the same exact things but never take the peoples complaints seriously and continue to spend spend spend and raise raise raise evaluations, mills and in turn taxes. People are seriously fed up with it and if you won't listen then what other option do we have? Even when people get voted out the morons getting in do the same damn shit. It's time for a revolt!
I too have been to many it is like we don't exist, same shit every year and just give us brush off under rug. So why bother going?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a breakdown in the system somewhere. Local communities can't keep up but the state is sitting on more funds than ever. Both pointing the finger at each other.

If the current funding mechanisms aren't adequate in a time of prosperity, that means the current systems is BS. There is enough money right now. But it needs to be collected and allocated in a new manner.

The state should not be sitting on tens of billions in excess review. "our rainy day fund". BS! Time to start using it, because they wont give it back. The only reasonable things is to give them less to begin with.

LOWER TAXES ACROSS THE BOARD and figure out how to do a budget and prioritize needs. Roads, streets, water infnrastructure like DB said.

The money is there. Stop pissing down my back and telling me its raining.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some do listen as it is not only your monies being spent but theirs also.
One of my last budget meetings was with the public over their concerns.

We started on page one of the budgets and review ever page with them. Took over an hour for a better understanding by all including the council. Yes, in the end no changes but they were part of making a budget.
All should review the valuation on their property as it compares to other similar property to see if all are paying their fair share. It might surprise one.
At the last few meetings i voted no to paying the bills for a reason. Vote was 5 to 1 and bills were paid. Sure, a no bill vote will come again. db

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
All should review the valuation on their property as it compares to other similar property to see if all are paying their fair share...

And what is my "fair share" on something I already own? Property tax, as a concept, is utter bullshit. It's just another way to stick it to the people that actually work hard to get ahead.

"Oh, we didn't raise taxes, we just arbitrarily decided everyone's house is worth more this year. Congratulations!"

Thanks a pant-load Chet... I'd be happy to sell you my house for what you claim it's worth.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site wont recognize my parcel number, very frustrating.

I had to make sure to put dashes between instead of the spaces as copied from my tax sheet. Got it entered and got a automated message saying they received it. Time will tell.
We have smart phones, we can order things at the touch of a button, AI, etc.....

But the gov't web site to get your money back is written like a Windows 3.1 app with data fields that have to be perfectly formatted or they won't accept the application?

AND when they don't accept anything but a perfectly formatted number they don't try to help you out with an alert of some sort or pop-up help... they simply don't accept the application and leave you wondering?

Classic.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Took me about 10 min max to do and got my confirmation right away. Pretty good for a computer NOT SO GOOD USER. LB

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have smart phones, we can order things at the touch of a button, AI, etc.....

But the gov't web site to get your money back is written like a Windows 3.1 app with data fields that have to be perfectly formatted or they won't accept the application?

AND when they don't accept anything but a perfectly formatted number they don't try to help you out with an alert of some sort or pop-up help... they simply don't accept the application and leave you wondering?

Classic.
shut your whore mouth or they will raise our taxes to upgrade their system

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1