Property Tax Credit

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you realize that the small business owners, small ranchers, and small farmers could use the extra money to survive and hopefully make a decent living, that they would save from not paying property taxes?
Don't go over thinking this like the last time this was brought up to a vote.
That’s why I said reduce and or cap that segment of property tax. If we are going to shift the burden let’s shift it to the extreme wealthy buying up all the land across the United States. Reduction or eliminating property tax needs to be a benefit of those residing and call this state home. The way this measurement is now it would benefit the extreme wealthy the most in the end even though those few thousand we all save would feel pretty good. In 20 years 7 people will own the entire United States if we give them even more leverage to do so

Wally World

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It’s too bad we’re a republican state. The democrats would clean up this mess.
Hey Camper, we are in a Democrat state. Most of the RINOS in the legislature are full blooded Demorats. Look at their voting records. We are NOT a Republican state. Far from it. The slimy Democrats have taken over the state, look at Bergum and Hoven ect. They were all Demorats before running as a Republican. RINOS......

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That’s why I said reduce and or cap that segment of property tax. If we are going to shift the burden let’s shift it to the extreme wealthy buying up all the land across the United States. Reduction or eliminating property tax needs to be a benefit of those residing and call this state home. The way this measurement is now it would benefit the extreme wealthy the most in the end even though those few thousand we all save would feel pretty good. In 20 years 7 people will own the entire United States if we give them even more leverage to do so
When you start making exceptions it usually only benefits the wealthy. I get what your saying and I agree with it. The wealthy out of staters don't need a tax break, but as soon as you start putting stipulations on it it usually benefits them...not the locals. We are one of the most corrupt states for a reason...exactly why this bill even came to light. If anything maybe a bill that says it has to be primary property and must live in the state??? Not sure how it could be addressed. I will still vote for it with how it's written now. The details can be hashed out later.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. I’m more than pissed about how things are being handled as far as being over taxed on all fronts. I’ll also vote for the measure and let them figure it out. But I’m leery about what lies in the weeds on this one. I wish they could make it primary residence only. That’s where I stand

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it was for primary residence only i'd be 100% on board. The commercial and rental property owners and the grain farmers who get subsidized to the point that they are not allowed to fail through our federal tax dollars and don't pay taxes on their homes now will be the biggest beneficiaries. The second will be out of state investors buying rental homes, apartment and commercial properties. Third will be wealthy professionals from out of state who buy a quarter of land to hunt. Or 50 something year olds from out of state that hate their jobs and can sell their home for a good profit and have a meager retirement and buy modest homes here and then they live on a fixed income, never spending a dime at any local businesses or making improvements to the property ( a friend of ours from Idaho spoke about what the Californians did to their area).
I hate never owning my property as much as the next guy and spending is out of control. My fear is that to make up for the loss our sales tax will go to 8 or 9 or 12 percent or more. An increase in sales tax will only harm all of us who actually live here and spend money to live here.
Farming is a business it is meant for profit, rental properties are a business, etc. Our homes are not a profitable asset or purchase in most circumstances. It is to provide shelter and a place to raise a family. The cost to maintain and improve is usually a horse a piece by the time you sell it if you ever do, with no tax advantages, unlike commercial properties and ag land.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it was for primary residence only i'd be 100% on board. The commercial and rental property owners and the grain farmers who get subsidized to the point that they are not allowed to fail through our federal tax dollars and don't pay taxes on their homes now will be the biggest beneficiaries. The second will be out of state investors buying rental homes, apartment and commercial properties. Third will be wealthy professionals from out of state who buy a quarter of land to hunt. Or 50 something year olds from out of state that hate their jobs and can sell their home for a good profit and have a meager retirement and buy modest homes here and then they live on a fixed income, never spending a dime at any local businesses or making improvements to the property ( a friend of ours from Idaho spoke about what the Californians did to their area).
I hate never owning my property as much as the next guy and spending is out of control. My fear is that to make up for the loss our sales tax will go to 8 or 9 or 12 percent or more. An increase in sales tax will only harm all of us who actually live here and spend money to live here.
Farming is a business it is meant for profit, rental properties are a business, etc. Our homes are not a profitable asset or purchase in most circumstances. It is to provide shelter and a place to raise a family. The cost to maintain and improve is usually a horse a piece by the time you sell it if you ever do, with no tax advantages, unlike commercial properties and ag land.
This 100%

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sales tax makes people that don't live here pay for it also...property you are 100% paying for it.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are also a large percentage of houses that have been purchased by hunters in our small towns. They at least now are paying property taxes. If property taxes went away, the only contribution they would be making would be from purchases made during the couple of weeks (if that) that they spend in the state. Meanwhile the few businesses remaining in those towns are shutting down because of population decline.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sales tax makes people that don't live here pay for it also...property you are 100% paying for it.

There is no sales tax base in our rural communities. Allowing higher local sales taxes will actually take money away from those areas and our larger communities would benefit.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Koppelman talking about possibly taxing based on square footage. This measure in front of us only bans property tax based on assessed value.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am trying to understand this. So rural communities let's just say for example hazelton. If you go to a store, let's say a gas station and buy a candy bar. They have no sales tax on the candy bar or anything in the store?
There is no sales tax base in our rural communities. Allowing higher local sales taxes will actually take money away from those areas and our larger communities would benefit.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are also a large percentage of houses that have been purchased by hunters in our small towns. They at least now are paying property taxes. If property taxes went away, the only contribution they would be making would be from purchases made during the couple of weeks (if that) that they spend in the state. Meanwhile the few businesses remaining in those towns are shutting down because of population decline.
Not trying to offend here but this is called a dieing town..no property tax is going to save it. I also don't think you may looking at this correctly. Just because the sales tax in your area may be low doesn't mean that is all the funds you would receive. This is across the whole state. Let's say your area collects $10 in funds from sales tax...do you really think that's all the money your area would recieve from the state????

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state sales tax is 5.5%. County and City governments can add another 2%. Not much is going to come in from a local sales tax in a town like Hazelton. But Hazelton residents spend a lot of $$ in Bismarck shopping and dining. When Hazelton residents do that, it contributes sales tax dollars to Bismarck's local sales tax. It is just reality that you cannot get everything you need in Hazelton. I believe on-line retailers only collect the state sales tax. Allowing Bismarck to just keep raising their sales taxes isn't fair to places like Hazelton.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The state sales tax is 5.5%. County and City governments can add another 2%. Not much is going to come in from a local sales tax in a town like Hazelton. But Hazelton residents spend a lot of $$ in Bismarck shopping and dining. When Hazelton residents do that, it contributes sales tax dollars to Bismarck's local sales tax. It is just reality that you cannot get everything you need in Hazelton. I believe on-line retailers only collect the state sales tax. Allowing Bismarck to just keep raising their sales taxes isn't fair to places like Hazelton.
Correct but doesn't hazelton receive monies from the state?

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do receive money but unlike Bismarck they have no ability to bring in a significant amount through a local sales tax. In fact, the residents of Hazelton are contributing to the local sales tax in Bismarck.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They do receive money but unlike Bismarck they have no ability to bring in a significant amount through a local sales tax. In fact, the residents of Hazelton are contributing to the local sales tax in Bismarck.
I get that...but they get more money per capita from the state then bismarck...no?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
1723987616561.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48